Valheim - Viking Survival Game (Early Access)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
I never found chopping trees annoying unless I was in a hurry to do something. Especially rewarding to your pleasure centres, when your tree kills something other than yourself. Chopping down half a forest and saying fuck you to it's denizens is fun too.

If this was a MMO I'd be a lumberjack, with PvE/P log skills. Scots do it, I'm sure a Viking could throw some timber around too.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have. You can tame them, but as was stated, they dont do anything so there's currently no point. I look forward to someone trying to build an auto-breeder for them when they can breed... :p
Will they follow you like wolves ? Hell of a bodyguard.

Sludig

I never found chopping trees annoying unless I was in a hurry to do something. Especially rewarding to your pleasure centres, when your tree kills something other than yourself. Chopping down half a forest and saying fuck you to it's denizens is fun too.

If this was a MMO I'd be a lumberjack, with PvE/P log skills. Scots do it, I'm sure a Viking could throw some timber around too.
My beef w/ wood, is that for many things, you can't use core/ancient wood for basic shit like arrows. I'm glad they arn't required instead of basic wood, but when I'm mid/late game my base tends to be abundant in non standard wood. At one point I broke down and even had old base I'd port to and use for growing a bunch of Fir.

Random gripes now that I'm started. I'd be more apt to start new bases or whatnot if you didnt need fking Iron for a few critical things including stone bench. Means when exploring instead of just carrying portal materials, I need to take a decent bit of weight in metal if I just want to pop up shop without wasting a real life day trying to farm/mine everything nearby to where I am. Doesn't help I find Iron far more tedious than silver or anything.

Plains crops..... wish they had any kind of tool tip to indicate they might not grow elsewhere. After planting all the things at home, I killed my first goblin base. Went nuts planting all 10 barley and most of 25 flax..... and find them withered and "wont grow here". Fking Fuck!

Brewing was very thematic, but just annoying time sink, especially if you let your storage get low by accident. I'm about ready to just make 5-10 barrels to be able to do a ton at once instead of working w/ 2.

Funny random aside. Catching fish before I got the pole. Noticed fish would beach themselves sometimes on land I'd raised on a small stream so I could drag a cart across.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Funny random aside. Catching fish before I got the pole. Noticed fish would beach themselves sometimes on land I'd raised on a small stream so I could drag a cart across.
I noticed this, and had a spot on another map that had a bunch of fish spawns in one area, but couldn't quite figure a way to automate/speed it up. I think some people figured it out, but I dont have links.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
A lox following you as a pet would be hilarious for the first 15 minutes and then outright annoying after that. All the collateral damage would be insane!

As for brewing - We have 8 barrels in our fort, stacked one on top of the other. When we were fighting bosses, we would go through a ton of potions and it always felt like we were low. 8 seemed to be the sweet spot versus the amount of time we played.

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Unless that is run on something that is -stupid- expensive, I can see it falling into frame hell/disconnects pretty early in the lifecycle

• 2Like

Sludig

Took my sweet time and a lot of not playing for 4 days straight here and there due to work.... where the fuck is my expansion.

I'd killed enough stuff before Moder that I instantly built everything for black metal tier. And kinda sad that I really dont have any use for it except a quick run to kill Yrggg. Forget crafting more, just need some new baddies to keep me on my toes.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
...and here's a hard-hitting PC Gamer article for all of the Valheim fans!

Do you want to hang that proudly on your wall? I am pretty sure I do not. It already grosses me out just using the Bonemass power, knowing that evil blob's essence is flowing through my body. I can't look at his weird disgusting head jiggling and wobbling around every time I come home. I'm going to leave that thing on the sacrificial stones and never, ever visit. Yuck!

Does the patch do anything else? Sure, it does stuff, probably, but I can't seem to focus on the list because I'm still thinking about Bonemass' beady skull-eyes and slowly rippling jelly head and gaping mouth and floppy lips.

LOL

• Fixed smelter issue when a very long time has passed since visiting (10000 days)
  • 30s Pre world save warning added
  • Stone stair physics fix
  • Inventory screen gamepad focus fix
  • Large-creature visual overhaul (troll, boss-2 & boss-3)
  • Troll ragdoll material fix
  • Harpoon mechanics overhauled
  • Engine updated (some stability improvements)
  • Draugr archer visual fixes (1 & 2 star draugrs sometimes got the wrong material)
  • Fixed issues when crafting station is destroyed while in use
  • Creature group spawning adjusted to avoid spawning over total limit (in some cases)
  • Credits updated
  • Localization updates

But yeah...that damn Bonemass trophy update! rabblerabblerabble!

• 3Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Tiresome
Reactions: 4 users

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Just FYI, I'm backing up my server, and starting a fresh map later today. I haven't seen anyone on it all of May, so I assume everyone played out for now. If you have been playing and I just haven't seen ya, my bad. I just want to fuck around with building, don't really want to mess with killing shit much.

I'll leave the info the same in case someone bored, and wants to mess around themselves.

If any of yas want a copy of the world files, let me know. Not hard to swap them for use in solo, or another server.

• 1Like

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
I would definitely want a copy of the world files please. I have my nice fancy base and I dont want it to go poof.

• 1Like

Cynical

Canuckistani Terrorist
Not deleting the world files, just like solo, I'm basically using another save on the server. You can easily swap between with a simple restart.

If a patch hits with content, and people want to start up where they left off, I'd be happy to load up that "save" again,

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Build a portal on a distant island to mine silver.

Portal is in a Black Forest, near where it touches a Mountain and Plain

Every time a Troll spawns, I train it into the Plains and watch the hilarity

Another Troll, can't find Fulings

Run in deeper, see a single Fuling. Say hello shoot an arrow at it

Oh fuck it's a two star and he's agroed

Run back to troll with my new friend

Watch the 2 star bastard solo the troll without breaking a sweat and then continue after me before the Troll even hits the ground

ImpressiveGlamorousCaudata-size_restricted.gif

Me, after sprinting through my portal to safety:

EnchantingLoathsomeHairstreakbutterfly-size_restricted.gif

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
Started playing this about a week ago. I hope to god you get a larger personal bag later? Inventory management is driving me crazy.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
Started playing this about a week ago. I hope to god you get a larger personal bag later? Inventory management is driving me crazy.
There are mods which will give you more inventory space if you feel like modding.
The Equipment and Quickslots mod will give you 8 more slots, effectively