Valkyria Chronicles

Szlia

I was not impressed by the demo, but I ended playing the game a couple year after its release and I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would. Very nice mission variety.

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
The problem with the game is that it's a SRPG that punishes you for actually playing tactically. You're graded on how few turns you complete the mission in, and there's no benefit to killing normal soldiers, which means you throw everything else out the window and just blitz your way to victory (and save scum when something goes wrong because they didn't fix that until the sequels). The number of turns required for an A rank doesn't allow for any other playstyle. That said, you can--and probably should if you are buying this on Steam having never played the PS3 version before--ignore the grading system and just do skirmishes to make up for lost money and XP.

That said, the art style is excellent and the story is decent. For fans of anime, anyway.
I agree with the tactics part. It's still an excellent game imo

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Well as Vorph said, you could still play tactically, you just didn't get max grade which meant you had to do more of the sidestuff which was longer, but unless you're speedrunning it wasn't a big issue. And that's why Scouts were best iirc, cause they had the super high movement and they could even kill tanks and what not eventually, so you could just full scouts and win in a few turns if you knew the objectives/map. For a first playthrough though, you don't really care that much about all that shit unless you're reading guides on gamefaqs or whatever, game is perfectly fine otherwise, and pretty fun. I'll probably pick it up once I have some time to play it, as far as I remember I stopped before the end as I usually do with srpgs and want to finish it at some point, even though I know all the story and what not. Game still was pretty fun.

Needless

Toe Sucker
You could argue that winning the map in the least amount of terms is optimizing your tactics to be the most efficient you can be though

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Now I just need Culdcept, and maybe some of the old Front Mission games (not Evolved).

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
You could argue that winning the map in the least amount of terms is optimizing your tactics to be the most efficient you can be though
His argument is more the best and only way to play maps is to just bumrush the objective. Which means slow characters with bad speed are out the window if you want to get max ranking. It didn't really lead to much strategy just rushing to the objective, doing that and winning. IMO the game was more fun when I stopped caring if I got a good ranking. Its odd the game punished you for methodical, strategic gameplay.

khorum

Murder Apologist
It'll be interesting what sort of mods the PC version would pop up with, though. I'm definitely in the tank for it either way, but I'd actually like to see more than a couple d3d passthrus and gedosato graphics bumps. For once new missions and a rebalance mod community would be sweet.

Come to think of it, is there much of a mod scene for FF13 on pc yet?

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Come to think of it, is there much of a mod scene for FF13 on pc yet?
Nothing beyond GeDoSaTo that I'm aware of yet. People were messing around with unpacking the archives but there's still no way to edit textures or anything like that.

Biggest problem with FFXIII was that they not only locked the resolution to 720p and provided no graphics settings whatsoever, but SE also shipped the game with the Bink-compressed eye cancer cutscenes from the 360 version instead of uncompressed 1080p from the PS3, and no amount of modding can repair that.

As for VC, just based on looking at the screenshots on Steam, the game seems to run in native 1080p (and probably higher). There's anti-aliasing, but I'm pretty sure it's post-processed and not true hardware AA. No idea if you'll be able to force it or not. Any AA is better than jagged mess that the PS3 got though, it really detracted from an otherwise beautiful game.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
I wish they'd really do more console to PC ports (of the good, classic games and not the ton of terrible games)
Square is starting to ramp it up a bit at least. It seems likely that we'll get FF6 and FFT on PC before too much longer, which is really what I'm after (despite still owning physical copies of both and having roms of them, too).

ramp

Silver Knight of the Realm
I loved this game, some of the music was remarkable too.

I never did the dlc's on the ps3 (although did buy them), are they included this time ?
Pretty tempted to pick it up for the PC and replay it all and support the franchise.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Yeah as I mentionned before, all DLCs are included in the game apparently.

Vorph

Tried to buy it from GMG VIP for like $13 minus some Playfire credit I have, but the retards still won't take my AMEX even though they added the logo to their website. It's a good deal though, if you can get them to actually take your money.

Guess I wait for a Steam/Amazon sale, since I'm only willing to pay what the DLC would have cost to add to my PS3 version.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Tried to buy it from GMG VIP for like $13 minus some Playfire credit I have, but the retards still won't take my AMEX even though they added the logo to their website. It's a good deal though, if you can get them to actually take your money.

Guess I wait for a Steam/Amazon sale, since I'm only willing to pay what the DLC would have cost to add to my PS3 version.
Really, $6 is what's stopping you? Is this some kind of half assed "principals" excuse?

Vorph

Yes, it's general principles. Only way I'd pay full price is if I thought there was any chance whatsoever in seeing VC3 localized, ported, and HD-ified because of VC1 sales. That's never going to happen though.

Not to mention that I don't have time (nor interest really, I replayed the base game not that long ago) to play it now anyway with WoD out on Thurs. I'm done paying full price for games that don't even come close to the top of my backlog before they are on sale at Amazon/Steam for 50% or less.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Fair enough!

Picked it up today, didn't play it on PS3, though it was one I thought about back when it came out. Stoked to try it after reading this thread.