VALORANT - Riot Games

Lunis

Blackwing Lair Raider
The thing I like most about this game is the act of firing a gun feels so much like CS 1.6 to me. It's not so much the recoil pattern, although the way it clusters randomly is more like 1.6, but there's something very satisfying about it that I don't feel when playing other shooters.. including CS:GO.

Going from 1.6 to GO... something always felt off to me. And i think this game proves that it wasn't just nostalgia. Idk if any of you were big 1.6 players but do you agree?

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Probably played 10k hours of 1.3-1.6. Never could really get into GO. But I am definitely feeling this game. So yeah, I agree.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I get the same vibes; been playing since cs beta. I think its also a mixture of map design, they aren't nearly as complex as the maps in GO. They have solid textures, but from just how flat and straight forward all the angles and spots are, is very classic cs. I'm usually talking with with people who come in with CSGO mindset on why this should be like this, and that should be like this because CSGO.. and the only answer is that i'm pretty certain that they took 1.6 playbook over csgo's to make the separation in tact shooter. CSGO is just source with 1.6 like shooting mechanics to me. There are a lot more nuances in CSGO with angles, positions, and utility usage than whats in Valorant.

I recently swapped to 4:3, and its hilariously even more classic cs.. if you played 640x480 like a true g. Mostly did it because when a bunch of abilities drop on a rush, i'd get 30-40fps drop.. which would make countering into those abilities a bit more rough.

I recently put a couple hours into https://game.cs-online.club/ for giggles within the last week.. and it really does.

aside from that, todays patch brought in some good. Removed a few 50/50 spots and buffed Viper substantially.. but the most important, tagging/hitsnare got addressed and was nerfed.

Update to Tagging (slowdown effect when hit by enemy fire)

• Effect of tagging on movement speed reduced:
    • Tagging Movement Speed Reduction (Standard) 80% >> 70%
    • Tagging Movement Speed Reduction (Wall Penetration) 35% >> 25%
  • Increased the time it takes to reach desired slow amount when tagged by 100%
Tagging is intended to reward the player with better positioning and the player that successfully lands a shot on the enemy first. When tagged, you will now more gradually transition to the reduced tagging speed. In addition, the reduced tagging speed is slightly more forgiving. If you are positioned close to cover, this should allow you to potentially escape when tagged more frequently than before. Also, the effects of being tagged should feel less jarring especially when playing with higher ping.

Tagging through walls has been further reduced which should enable reliable escapes when being shot through walls.

also J jonoki I think you're on my friendlist somehow? lol dafdafdafda is me, if you ever want to jump into queue together.

jonoki

Molten Core Raider
Yeah. Played with you a couple of weeks ago. I'm down to play but don't have any free time during the week, so only on, on the weekends.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
This is the most frustrating game I've ever played and the netcode seems like absolute shit. Add to that the sickeningly intrusive "anti-cheat" system and yeah, quick uninstall.

Lenaldo

Golden Knight of the Realm
Agreed. I'm loving this a lot. My group of friends (all played a ton of CS 1.6 and CSGO together) seem 50/50 split. In general we all like the gun play but half the group is pretty turned off by all of the abilities - especially the ones that are more than just basic utility like smokes/flashes/grenades.

We tried playing CSGO again a few weeks back and it just felt.. sluggish. The hit reg in csgo is awful where as in valorant it feels pretty clean for an online game. General consensus is valorant has made csgo feel like dog shit so now its valorant or bust..... I'm surprised valve hasn't countered harder (128 tick, anti cheat steps) with csgo but i know the numbers are still very good.

I've had zero issues with vanguard but I know others have.... i will say if riot is successful with vanguard i'd expect similar anti cheats to almost become the "norm". That could be a bad thing long term as it becomes more "main stream" these companies will put less effort into protecting your system.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
I play about 1 Valorant game a night because of time. I actually placed Bronze 3 whereas in beta I placed Iron 3. And I've been on a win streak up to Bronze 1, hopefully hit Silver soon. I'm usually middle-frag on the team. I find the game a little less frustrating then in beta, maybe because Ranked is keeping skill levels in my range. I'm not the best at clicking heads which is the most frustrating aspect of any FPS for me.

I think Valorant is in a good spot and I enjoyed watching the competitive matches over the weekend. Wardell makes the OP look way overpowered. Do you all think the OP is healthy as-is? I have no idea how it compares to Snipers in other games, never played CS. I'm not complaining about it, but just watching TSM wreck T1, and mainly Wardell on OP was kinda nuts.

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Do you all think the OP is healthy as-is?
I can't say at the low end, but at the high end.. Esp from Hiko's perspective... It is too strong but mostly due to there isn't enough utility in the game to deal with it. Which there is some degree of truth to it, at the high end; aka wardell. Pugs, it's a little bit easier to deal with. *think cs, a team can have up to 5 smokes 5 HEs and 10 flashes.. While the AWP in csgo has a scope-in movement snare, and subtle zoom-in telegraph.

From my opinion, I think it does need something.. even as small as a scope in/out noise. I challenge OPs frequently with just a rifle and my success rate is not great.. Compared to CSGO where I can more often challenge the AWP with just a deagle. My personal feeling of why the OP beats me seems to be they always have way lower ping. I average around the 70s since east coast, and it's always the 20-30 pingers that I seem to have zero chance. There is also some angle advantage in play too. I've caught Sovas only because their cape was dragging behind.

On a side note, not sure if it's the right wording.. Hearing the cadence of the OP and Marshal shot's resonating as the player shifts positions from one side of a location to another is pretty cool.

Either way, seems like they're pretty focused on pumping out agents now. Something like 6 a year at the current announcement. And looks like a lot of the kits we will be getting will start branching a little away from the usual tactical shooter mechanics.

Tl;Dr hiko doesn't think so

gauze

Molten Core Raider
Used the skin earlier today, actually kinda cool animation wise.. minus the mystery of the trigger.

would I pay 100$ for it... hell no. Is it the worst price for pixels, I've seen worse.

Other than that, back to Immortal playing super casual comp. Playing more Tarkov than anything.

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Everything I've seen about this ... and official version of the CS: Warcraft Mod would have been nearly as good. Back in the day that was shit. Elves for lyfe.

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>

Bleh. Click above to see the replies.

Probably should be in the LoL thread or a separate Anti-Cheat spinoff thread. If anyone read the devlogs on Vanguard you would know their intention was never for it to just be for Valorant, they even stated they might allow 3rd parties to use it for their games. It only makes sense they expand usage to their other games.

goishen

Macho Ma'am
I just find it funny how everyone using linux can see how this is a rootkit, the same way that I do. Everyone running windows is like an ostrich with their head in the sand.

Nate

Molten Core Raider
I just find it funny how everyone using linux can see how this is a rootkit, the same way that I do. Everyone running windows is like an ostrich with their head in the sand.

Or after 20 years of dealing with cheating in competitive FPS games, they’re willing to accept this for a real cheat free experience? Root kit me all day, the cheating in valorant is basically non existent compared to CS:GO and other competitive FPS games.

• 2Picard
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I don't play this but they have a championship or something going on. Interesting to watch the gameplay flow is way easier to follow than Counterstrike or Overwatch. Seems to be more of a strategic game than a twitch shooter.

Interesting to me because Riot has been content to just let the game grow naturally like they did for League of Legends. If it ain't broke don't fix it I guess. Pretty interesting format compared to League.

Last edited:

Shmoopy

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hmm is this game still a thing? Just downloaded and its asking for some bizare admin permissions Ive never heard of ...