Valve adds paid modding

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
So far only for Skyrim, but will come to other games later on. Valve of course takes 75% of the income from mods bought from Steam.

People are going crazy. Downvoting the video without even watching it as TB doesn't take an immediate stance against it. Was at 1:4 ratio of negative votes a few minutes after release.

Ignatius

#thePewPewLife
Without looking too deeply into this, I'm assuming the original developer gets a cut? If not, how does that work?

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
The 75% goes to Steam, modders get fucked. They also have to have 100$ in reserve before they get a payout. There's 0 QC on the mod uploads so people have already poached literally all of Skyrim Nexus and uploaded it, even though they didn't make any of it.

Weather/water/lighting effect pack for Skyrim is north of 30$, which is more than most people paid for Skyrim.

6a00d8345a66bf69e201901ed419a4970b-pi

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Modders don't get fucked if they voluntarily agree that Steam can sell their content and keep 75 percent of the proceeds. What am I missing here? If modder A can do better on his own then he ought to, and if modder B thinks he'd do better with Steam he can do that.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Internet is in full riot about this, I'll be surprised if it sticks. Has the very real potential to just end the modding community by hiding it all behind ridiculous paywalls.

Enter the age of mod piracy I guess?

Jackie Treehorn

<Gold Donor>
The really fun part begins when they create games that only allow paid mods. This is a shitty thing to start doing in any capacity.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Heh. Even PC Master Race is unimpressed.
They've been slowly turning on Valve lately, and I can't really blame them. Library of games aside Origin is the objectively better service, and Valve seems to be going backward rather than forward in terms of consumer rights.

Vorph

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I'd be happy if they'd just roll back the UI and web layout to what it was before August of last year. Whoever designed that should be fired and blackballed from the industry.

Then they can go work on making it about 50x more difficult to get a game through greenlight.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
75% is pretty greedy, especially since they'll never provide any support to modders or consumers if something goes wrong. I'm all for modders getting paid for their effort but this can be nothing this probably won't end well.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
The really fun part begins when they create games that only allow paid mods. This is a shitty thing to start doing in any capacity.
Isn't that basically what TF2 hats are already? Doesn't Planetside 2 also do this?

Only allowing paid mods isn't inherently bad.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
They've been slowly turning on Valve lately, and I can't really blame them. Library of games aside Origin is the objectively better service, and Valve seems to be going backward rather than forward in terms of consumer rights.
Origin has better customer service (though it's extremely slow, you do eventually get what you wanted) and slightly less annoying ads. Other than that, I can't see how Origin is a better service. It adds basically no value to the games themselves. Steam has built in streaming, sharing, customer reviews, etc. Hop-in multi/coop for tons of supported games. Steam also has tons of awesome sales, Origin rarely competes.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Only complaint I have with valve is the fact they dont ban dogshit scamming developers from Steam. So many fucking games end up as "early access" only to cease all development within 2-3 months of being up.

IMO this is probably going to end up like youtube. Assuming its not all draconian, the ability to monetize will flood the world with a plethora of really shitty mods and 1 or 2 quality mods that would of otherwise not have been created. Though maybe if this truly takes off maybe dogshit publishers like EA will see while modding is only good and open their games up?