Valve adds paid modding

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
This is all in preparation of releasing HL3 with their new VR hardware. Once that happens everyone will lose attention and love making paid mods for it.

squirrel-up-dog-gif.gif

iannis

Musty Nester
This isn't really inherently unethical or anything like that... it is just a really bad idea.

It'll float like a brick. It's not realistic. Mods are not Istore Apps.

HUH_sl

shitlord
I'm not against modders getting paid since it could open the doors to much higher quality mods but this seems poorly implemented. Already stories of people stealing mods, Valve removing links to free versions / donations, high amount of 'horse armor' quality DLC and modders stripping their mods of shared content in order to put them up for sale.

Watching the public opinion finally turn on Valve will be entertaining. But I'm saddened by how much this killed my excitement for Fallout 4 and any other game that had a strong mod community.

At least Valve has a fantastic customer support team to deal with all the problems this will create...

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
People sure are freaking out about something they dont have to use at all
Yea, I don't get it either. Mod-makers voluntarily choose to use this service, and mod-buyers voluntarily choose to buy the mods...

Someone tell me again what I'm missing here, other than a game company trying to make money and a bunch of people rabbling about how its just greed. How dare corporations try to make X dollars!??! Y dollars is the only reasonable number -- rabble rabble rabble!!!

Is this just a thinly-veiled bitchfest from gamers pissed off that they may, in the future, have to pay for fantastic mods that enriched their gaming experience?

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So they implemented this without any system to vet the creators? fucking l o l

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
So they implemented this without any system to vet the creators? fucking l o l
I guess if I whipped out the Visa and just randomly bought 100 stupid mods without investigating it at all I might get burnt by shitty products. This goes for practically any shopping experience. Given the competition now and in the future, this just doesn't seem like a reasonable concern.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
I guess if I whipped out the Visa and just randomly bought 100 stupid mods without investigating it at all I might get burnt by shitty products. This goes for practically any shopping experience. Given the competition now and in the future, this just doesn't seem like a reasonable concern.
I mean verify they are the actual creators of the mod. As people already said retards are just taking shit off nexus and throwing it up on steam as their own work.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
My favorite part: People are already not just stealing and selling free mods, they then send a copyright claim to Steam against the free mod to get it off the store.

So steam looks at Mod 1(free):been there since 2010, and Mod 2($4.99):been on the store for 1 day. Sorry Mod 1, you've gotta go!!!11!1eleven

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
I mean verify they are the actual creators of the mod. As people already said retards are just taking shit off nexus and throwing it up on steam as their own work.
That's a good point. It will be interesting to see what mod creators and valve do to deal with this.

iannis

Musty Nester
Yea, I don't get it either. Mod-makers voluntarily choose to use this service, and mod-buyers voluntarily choose to buy the mods...

Someone tell me again what I'm missing here, other than a game company trying to make money and a bunch of people rabbling about how its just greed. How dare corporations try to make X dollars!??! Y dollars is the only reasonable number -- rabble rabble rabble!!!

Is this just a thinly-veiled bitchfest from gamers pissed off that they may, in the future, have to pay for fantastic mods that enriched their gaming experience?
Honestly it's just a stupid, ignorant idea.

Mods are generally community projects made from shared assets. This is good for one specific type of modder. It's a minority modder. It's bad for all the others. Look at the mod credits sometime for a mod you like. A huge majority of the ones I've ever dealt with directly include lesser mods from other authors, or rewrite those mods for compatibility and still give the credit for the original work.

It's just one of the worst possible ways you could have done something like this, and it speaks to a real lack of understanding of the product you're even trying to monetize in the first place.

It's not EA style evil. It's just plain dumb. Breathtakingly stupid. This is a policy created by an accountant or a some neckbeard in the marketing division. It's just not how mods work. And it's actually going to be detrimental to the community which creates them.

Watch NEXUS implode under the weight of Steam Lawyer monies.

Of course, I can buy a HD horse asshole animation for skyrim for $99.99. So it's not like it's -all- bad. lul.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Shrug, I can see that there are some issues here. But you can't tell me that the status quo of people clocking thousands of hours in modsfor freewould continue indefinitely. It seems natural and inevitable that both Steam and mod creators would look towards some method of monetizing the hard work and clear consumer demand.

If this isn't the solution, then a different iteration will arise. Given its completely opt-in nature, I'm just a little perplexed at how mad people are and I can't help but think it stems primarily out of ("Well I used to get X for free and now I have to pay, fuck this.")

Fundamentally: if mod-creators think the current Valve implementation is bad then they shouldn't use it. If consumers think it's bad then they shouldn't buy the mods. If no one's using this platform, I assure you, the suits at Valve will hit the drawing board real quick. If, on the other hand, creators figure out a way to sell their hard work to people that want to pay for it, then we don't really have a problem anymore (unless you didn't want to pay for it in the first place).

iannis

Musty Nester
The thing is, if the modders themselves were the ones that were all like "I wants to get PAID" that's one thing. But that's not what this is. This is parent companies trying to profit off the work of hobbyists. lol. Bethesda is completely the fuck out of ideas, and Gaben is just gonna Gaben. But they're actually blocking the ability for the free content creation to even happen anymore -- because now this isserious business.

I'd be surprised if the teams use the valve implementation. By itself -- who cares. The valve thing is going to choke the market entirely. It already has been happening with workshop.

Personally I just think it's funny because of how shitty of a dick move the entire thing is. If I was an enthusiast, I actually would be pretty pissed off at valve and bethesda though. It's dirty pool. And it will actually hurt valve/bethesda.

A new company probably WILL emerge.

Big Phoenix

<Gold Donor>
Honestly it's just a stupid, ignorant idea.

Mods are generally community projects made from shared assets. This is good for one specific type of modder. It's a minority modder. It's bad for all the others. Look at the mod credits sometime for a mod you like. A huge majority of the ones I've ever dealt with directly include lesser mods from other authors, or rewrite those mods for compatibility and still give the credit for the original work.

It's just one of the worst possible ways you could have done something like this, and it speaks to a real lack of understanding of the product you're even trying to monetize in the first place.

It's not EA style evil. It's just plain dumb. Breathtakingly stupid. This is a policy created by an accountant or a some neckbeard in the marketing division. It's just not how mods work. And it's actually going to be detrimental to the community which creates them.

Watch NEXUS implode under the weight of Steam Lawyer monies.

Of course, I can buy a HD horse asshole animation for skyrim for $99.99. So it's not like it's -all- bad. lul.
Yea its pretty obvious that whoever thought this up and implemented it had zero clue how mods work or even ever used one.

You honestly have to wonder what the hell was going on when this was thought up considering valves history.