Valve adds paid modding

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I really don't mind paying for a full mod like CS, NS, etc. It's basically a game unto itself. But fuck if I'm going to pay for half ass micro transactions and bug fixes. As if DLC wasn't bad enough already, like I really want to pay for amateur hour at Mist's university computer lab because publisher gets paid so who cares.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
The main problem with all this is it tried to fix something that wasn't broken. Nexus is probably one of the best sites and has one of the best tools (the Nexus Mod Manager) for dealing with mods. They even had a way for you to donate to modders, though it was half-hidden until now. If Valve/Bethesda wanted to do this the right way they'd have hired Nexus to deal with this and made the donation feature more prominent. Problem (if there even was one) solved.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Turns out ID Software has similar ideas back in the 90s only better. They were thinking more along the lines of a youtube style system where modders would get a cut based on the amount of traffic they generated, presumably from ads. The player wouldn't have to fork over anything to add mods to their game. Sounds like an idea that Nexus should explore before Steam dumps v2.0 on us.

https://archive.is/eUuhs

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think it has to be donation based so the community has a tool to self-police. People who would donate are much more likely to know whether a mod deserves it or not. If you made it traffic/ad based you won't have the same mechanism to ensure the money flows to the right creator.