Valve adds paid modding

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
That's the turnaround speed I'd expect from a solid company who isn't *JUST* out to make easy money. Stupid idea was stupid, and they rolled it back post haste. Faith (mostly) restored.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Makes you wonder how much of the shitstorm could have been avoided just by proposing the idea first and getting feedback, consulting with the community and modders and finding an implementation that actually worked for everyone.

Of course you know it's just a temporary roll back. I doubt they've given up on pursuing this possible revenue stream and will now just bide their time to find another way to take advtanage of it. And if not them, someone else will.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
I still don't get the rage on this. I hopped in my old Wildstar guild's mumble last night and all I heard for the 5 minutes I was there was two neckbeards yelling about the integrity of the modding community and rights infringement. I like mods as much as the next guy but paying people should only motivate them to make better mods I would think.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
I saw a huge thread about that GOG launcher coming. There needs to be real competion for marketshare to prevent idiot stuff like this. Origin never runs real sales. Uplay is fuck. Humble bundle app doesnt work on my droid ( steam app is horrible too.) there needs to be a real diversity out there.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
I still don't get the rage on this. I hopped in my old Wildstar guild's mumble last night and all I heard for the 5 minutes I was there was two neckbeards yelling about the integrity of the modding community and rights infringement. I like mods as much as the next guy but paying people should only motivate them to make better mods I would think.
It was a decent idea, with completely ham fisted implementation that only served to splinter the mod making community, basically.

Its not the premise, but the execution, that was in error.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>
No it pretty much guarantees worse and fewer mods. By putting everyone in competition with each other, most collaboration and shared resources will cease to exist.

iannis

Musty Nester
We have the power.

QUICK. Everyone demand free hats!!!!

Seriously. Good. Maybe they were just shockingly mis/uninformed.

There is no problem with the idea itself. I'd have paid for my Civ4 mods and Project Nevada. I want more of that, not less. And if it's ten bucks for more, it's ten bucks for more.

hodj

Vox Populi Jihadi
<Silver Donator>
The way Valve works is basically they have all these little cliques in the company that work in little groups, with people moving between them. There's not a lot of structure there. So probably Lombardi or someone like him was like "Hey this is a cool idea, we'll make some money let's talk to Bethesda and 2k and some other companies with strong mod communities and see who bites" Of course Bethesda bit because they're greedy as fuck. So then they're like "Great, we got someone on board, let's do it".

Shit probably didn't even get more than a mention in any major meetings throughout the company. It clearly wasn't a well developed idea, they just sorta said "We'll implement first, and ask iteration questions later".

This time it bit them, and in the process they took a big hit to their reputation. I think they probably learned a good lesson here. Hopefully at least.

Argarth

On the verandah
It was a decent idea, with completely ham fisted implementation that only served to splinter the mod making community, basically.

Its not the premise, but the execution, that was in error.
Talking about ham-fisted, the 24 hr mod refund policy was a scam as well. "Refunds" went into your Steam wallet, so Valve still got to keep your money...
biggrin.png

(edit: "ham-fisted" was probably a little too kind with regard to that little gem)

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I don't know, a part of me says Valve was kind of founded on disrupting the typical business practices of digital commerce in the gaming industry. So, maybe, it isn't surprising that they drop this knowing full well that it would cause a huge kerfuffle and just hedge on how big it was on a scale of 1 - 10 to collect data and gauge impact. Another part of me says that there's no way that the same company that has a proven, equitable, successful, financial model across multiple games for custom content doesn't know how to introduce this concept to the mod world. Valve knows the people that do CS:GO guns, DOTA2 items and hero skins,TF2 hats, etc... They're invited to conventions and a focus of the community and the process by which Valve curates that content. Shit, just DOTA2 tournament compendium items and extras helped fund a $10.5M tournament last year and this year may exceed that.

There is no way that this decision and implementation was launched haphazardly, at least not as much as it seems to us. It has to be like 60% planned and 40% half assed. It just can't be whole assed, they're too smart for that.

radditsu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Talking about ham-fisted, the 24 hr mod refund policy was a scam as well. "Refunds" went into your Steam wallet, so Valve still got to keep your money...
biggrin.png

(edit: "ham-fisted" was probably a little too kind with regard to that little gem)
Also i was reading you get market banned for 7 days after a refund..so 24 hour return policy was hogwash.

Mick

<Gold Donor>
I have a feeling that this will some how return to steam. Maybe only new future titles will have paid mods.

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
Nah, they need to add a tip jar or something similar to patreon.

I'm glad they went back on this though. Good for them.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
They should make a mod patreon or something for Valve. Take a 10% cut for processing the money to the creators.

But again this fucks with the sharing ethos of the mod community.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
It will definitely return, but yea hopefully with a better implementation, which for me was the problem in the first place. There's plenty of people that want to support modders (look at the ex-Simcity guy making mods for Cities:Skylines, he's making money at it). But collaboration in modding is a big thing still and that's where a lot of the best mods come from still, and throwing this head-first at one of the biggest, if not THE biggest, modded games in history is definitely a reality check. It sounds like a good idea on paper but too much is already established for that to ever pan out the way they did it, and Bethesda taking a fucktarded chunk of the cash soured the whole deal. Valve should have a cut, the publisher/dev should take asmallcut, and the modder should get the bulk. The work on the game for the devs is done. This is literally a free lunch for them, and Bethesda tried to turn it into free $400-per-person black tie dinners. The single "official" mod they released to launch the Steam workshop was a "high-res" texture pack that was worse than texture packs already available on the Nexus.

I appreciate the modding capability that the FE games have, but Bethesda have not exactly gone out of their way to "support" it. Hopefully, a better implementation of this mod market comes to fruition and it pushes more developers to open up their games to modders, and allows the best of the best mods to thrive.

Syringed_sl

shitlord
It was all implemented horribly and it opened a HUGE Pandora's Box of ethical issues. Someone could easily steal an existing made player mod that didn't belong to them and sell it in the market. A few people tried to take mods that were just simply ripped assets from other games like Aion MMO and Witcher 2 armor/weapon models and put them up as a paid mods. I don't know if it is still up but thanks to steam's workshop getting absolutely flooded with shit, it's hard to prove who made what and if all the assets are yours. It's also stupidly simple to swipe a mod from The Nexus and claim it as your own on the Marketplace. Valves non-existent admins and customer service is making regulating their marketplace VERY hard.

Thanks to the market being unregulated and how much people hate paid mods, some people are uploading mods that look like an amazing expansion of content for a high price but upon downloading it, you realize you just got duped and it doesn't work as intended. For games like Skyrim, there's also a lot of modder programs that were suddenly behind a paywall to access like Skyrim Script Extender (SKSE) which a lot of mods required it's use. There is also a lot of Skyrim high-end mods that use a lot of player made mods and assets together which would of made future player made mass overhaul mods possibly very expensive to even start.