Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
definitely enjoyed my time in vanguard really great classes and dungeons with a great huge world and great grp play.. despite all its technical failings, i played the shit out of it.
I loved the very brief time I spent in VG. Can't believe it was 7 years ago that I played this game. That is really unfathomable.

Rafterman

Molten Core Raider
Actually no, all 3 negs consisted of 'WoW sucked' or something similar. It was pretty bad. While I played Vanguard there was definitely a sense of 'us and them'. REAL Vanguard players couldn't possibly enjoy World of Warcraft. That kiddie pussy shit is awful, right??

It was a really common thing for VG players to cloister up among themselves and ignore the rest of the MMORPG industry. Honestly, that's probably what kept many of them playing so long. Guild chat would get insufferable sometimes.
Well, when you are one of the few games on the block that isn't just a re-skin of WoW, and you have a niche population, it's hard not to be bitter about it and the industry in general. I actually enjoyed the hell out of WoW when I played it, but I'll be damned if it didn't basically kill any creativity or diversity the MMO genre for a decade. If WoW wouldn't have been such a beast would the NGE ever have happened in SWG? Would Smed have been talking about making games with 10-15 million subscribers? I don't begrudge Blizzard's success, but sometimes I think the MMO world would have been a much cooler place had WoW capped at like 500k subs., everyone and their brother weren't chasing that WoW money, and developers (and players) could be happy with a couple hundred thousand people playing their games.

KCXIV

Molten Core Raider
I went from EQ for years and years, played wow like 3 months, but once i made exhalted in Alteric Valley i quit. DIdnt find the game fun anymore. NEver really did, but the battle grounds with the 40vs40 was a blast ,i love that shit. Its why i play Planetside 2 Pure chaos rules. THen i played VG for 2 years. Played various other MMO's less then a month after release. DC online ALMOST had it right. Almost!

So yeah, it's a bummer that this game got shut down. I would log in every now and again and just sail away or ride my mount all over the land. I did so much exploring in that game. Damn shame!

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Have the EMU devs talkes about overall progress and timeline? I would love to donate money to the EMU if its something thats coming to fruition.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I don't begrudge Blizzard's success, but sometimes I think the MMO world would have been a much cooler place had WoW capped at like 500k subs., everyone and their brother weren't chasing that WoW money, and developers (and players) could be happy with a couple hundred thousand people playing their games.
The end result would have been the MMORPG genre shitting itself had that happened. Investment costs were skyrocketing (Unfortunately some of that can be pin pointed to horrible producers) and a lot of target market for this was growing up. In 2003, the market was thought to be capped at 500k by most everyone, and a lot of the nods to make some games would have been shit-canned had it not been for WoW's success. I am not saying it would have destroyed the market, but without WoW you don't see other attempts which was, at the time, some risky endeavors for this genre. TSW, SWTOR, whether liked or not, had some unique storytelling ideas (SWTOR) or player/combat advancement/Atmosphere (TSW). Obviously there are others.

We all long for that long leveling curve content model again with the building of a community and knowing who people are on static servers, with a real world atmosphere and dungeons which aren't instanced. The problem is we only see the good days of EQ1, which were those aspects, but forget sitting on our asses for 3 hours a night doing nothing while looking for a group or travelling to get there. As much as I would think it's cool, chances are you wouldn't see me there. With limited times to play games, I am not going to go back to a model like that when I want turn on and play. Yeah. If I was 23 again, single, and all I did was either decide for the weekend if I was playing games or hitting a bar, or both - coming home at night to play more games if I wanted, sure. Those days are far behind me.

Anyway, I disagree with your point that we would have seen better niche games had WoW sat at 500k for it's life. Publishers would have said if Blizzard can't do it, screw this genre, we will make something else. Or it would have such a low end budget we would be playing DIKU-Mud replacements running horribly with basic systems at 2-3 year stints.

Either way, aside from some classes and a few folks that want to venue back to the years of yesterday with static dungeons; this game was a textbook example of why relic managers/publishers in this genre, which has been completely incestuous so we never see any new changing of the guards, needs to go. Once that happens (Which I doubt it ever will) we will see some truly new innovative games with fresh ideas above and beyond Molyneux paper dreams or trying to sell a game based on futures of technology which do not exist, has not been tested, and out of in house publisher control. (EQ Next/Landmark/Storybricks)

Have the EMU devs talkes about overall progress and timeline? I would love to donate money to the EMU if its something thats coming to fruition.
I don't believe they are taking donations. One because it isn't needed. Two for legal reasons.

You can help out by testing stuff once it comes out. They just rolled out spawning at the original starting locations and it will be ramping up soon-ish as we begin to fully populate the world hopefully starting in September.

Also, point anyone you know that knows C++ (beginner, amateur or pro) tothe sitethat may be interested in helping.

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Correct we are not taking donations at this time and don't plan on it unless for some reason we have to move hosting to a more robust setup but i don't see that happening.

Now as for a timeline it is going to be awhile unless we can pick up some more developers willing to help us out.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
Correct we are not taking donations at this time and don't plan on it unless for some reason we have to move hosting to a more robust setup but i don't see that happening.

Now as for a timeline it is going to be awhile unless we can pick up some more developers willing to help us out.
Thanks for the answers, wish I could code and help you guys.

@Sen the core of us are still around bro, we've been playing shit together since before VG. We just prefer to join friends progression guilds or whoever is best for whatever game since MMOs are 2 months now and run. Hope all is well with you and everyone else from back in the day.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider

Hey, I had thought you guys didn't gather enough data ? Anyway, if you are indeed working on this thing I would be up for donating some time and used to be a C++ developer. Shoot me a PM with details if you like.

Hey, I had thought you guys didn't gather enough data ? Anyway, if you are indeed working on this thing I would be up for donating some time and used to be a C++ developer. Shoot me a PM with details if you like.
We have tons of data. Here is just some of it (in ugly format atm):Items/Quests/NPCs

Anything that we missed can and will be recreated. If you want to help head over tothe siteand sign up on the forums. Let John Adams know you're interested in helping. I'll send this to you in a PM as well.

Korrupt

Blackwing Lair Raider
There's gotta be some hungry programmers out there to throw a jefferson to, no?
These guys look to have their shit together with a scoped out project and updated timelines. I was thinking of saying something to Hist or others like him.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
It sucks that Smed tweeted about shutting down free realms in march because his daughter played it, yet was silent on vg's sunset day

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I went from EQ for years and years, played wow like 3 months, but once i made exhalted in Alteric Valley i quit. DIdnt find the game fun anymore. NEver really did, but the battle grounds with the 40vs40 was a blast ,i love that shit. Its why i play Planetside 2 Pure chaos rules. THen i played VG for 2 years. Played various other MMO's less then a month after release. DC online ALMOST had it right. Almost!

So yeah, it's a bummer that this game got shut down. I would log in every now and again and just sail away or ride my mount all over the land. I did so much exploring in that game. Damn shame!
EQ / Vanguard / EvE I think are the only mmo's I ever played longer than a year at one sitting. All the others lasted only a couple months never to be thought of again*.

For the minority of us whose machines were beasts AND ran Vanguard (not all beast machines did so), the glory days of Vanguard's first 6 months were a very memorable and enjoyable time. And in hindsight compared to what has come after, even better than we realized.

The market has changed and the new mmos just don't have the same pull, mostly because they are casual crap. Casual has it's uses, and is very profitable, but easy play is always easily forgettable. None of the casual games created any lasting memories.

*The exception is GW1 (and maybe in time GW2). Only played GW1 a month or so at a time but over the years it added up quite a bit.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
You played WoW for more than a year too, didn't you? I remember seeing you in Heist Naxxramus pics I think

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
You played WoW for more than a year too, didn't you? I remember seeing you in Heist Naxxramus pics I think
Its funny, took a swing back on Emerald Dream for a bit and after all these industry failed attempts at re-creating the experience, WoW vanilla just nails immersion in the first 15 minutes. I started a Night Elf and you immediately feel the environment take you away... the music is a big part of it too.

They just nailed it !

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
4 or 5 months a few years back. Guild got me maxed and raiding pretty quickly. Enjoyed the game, just didn't like the graphics so left. I really have a hard time playing games that look like WoW. Visuals are important to me, as well as gameplay. EQ, Vanguard are dated now but back in the day they looked pretty good.

Might try WoW again though. Doing the mmo tours lately, and I haven't played WoW since just before DK's came out. Will be interesting to see all the changes.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We have tons of data. Here is just some of it (in ugly format atm):Items/Quests/NPCs

Anything that we missed can and will be recreated. If you want to help head over tothe siteand sign up on the forums. Let John Adams know you're interested in helping. I'll send this to you in a PM as well.
I've signed up and am going to help with development, just been hit with the RL stick a bit lately.