Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Thats a good question haha. Kinda tough to pinpoint but 1) Really liked the NON-instanced housing. That house, no one else in the game could own it, it was mine. 2) Wife and I really got into VG. It was our separate world, universe. We had as much stuff as we could afford to make it actually look like a house. Table, chairs, lighting, EVERYTHING. Wife would even decorate our houses for each holiday. We had Christmas trees during Christmas etc... 3) But I think why I really liked the housing was the stuff in the house, everything told a story of how it got there. We would look at items and laugh, "Hey babe, remember when we got that and that big ass alligator ate me", or, "Remember when that quest turned me into a wolf and I had to run through all the objectives before it wore off and I would have been standing in the middle of 25 angry mobs".....crap like that. The house and its contents was a living reminder of things I'd done in game, places I'd been, mobs I'd killed, it was all collected in one place rather than just shoved in a bank and forgotten about.

P.S. Owned a boat to, we frikkin LOVED those boats. Plop that thing in a river and float down and chill and listen to the sound of the water and birds.....not everything had to be about advancing levels or killing mobs. Sometimes just sitting there enjoying the view was all I needed.
Damn, you are making me miss VG. But yeah, you hit the nail on the head. I loved the player towns, when crafting you always would see the same peeps around, start talking to them etc. It actually worked to have these player towns with crafting in it, not many games achieved the social crafting areas that VG did.

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
I don't think flying a Rainbow Whale helps develop the game, but it's super fun! I wish there was more I could do to help
smile.png

rrr_img_92625.jpg
the fuck man you using a voodoo 3 or something in that pic?

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
It definitely is too much brown, but that pic is fuzzy due to being a bad jpg.
I logged on EQ today for the heck on it just to check out some zones and if you want to see too much brown, go to the new Freeport. What in the world were those guys thinking when they rebuilt that zone(s). It looks horrible and it is literally one color.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I logged on EQ today for the heck on it just to check out some zones and if you want to see too much brown, go to the new Freeport. What in the world were those guys thinking when they rebuilt that zone(s). It looks horrible and it is literally one color.
redoing freeport was one of the worst things they ever did on EQLive.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Yeah, it pretty much makes me want to puke. What a way to shit all on my nostalgia. If those fuckers ever redo Kelethin I'm going to lose it.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
redoing freeport was one of the worst things they ever did on EQLive.
I would admit defat on Freeport and Commonlands and put all of that back. It's atrocious. Wasn't it part of their plan do redo so many zones a year or something like that? Anyway, to get back to the topic... VG is looks pretty good. At this point everything looks a little dated to me after seeing FFXIV.

Xinux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just committed a new chunks table which should allow flying in all chunks so no more getting stuck when trying to take off. I had to enter a lot of values by hand so if you run into a chunk you have trouble flying in let me know the chunk ID or name and i'll take a look.

This will go live with the next update to NT which hopefully is tonight or tomorrow.

ismaris

Silver Knight of the Realm
yep, i never really got into it but there were people who could do some pretty amazing things with the decorations. i'm just glad the houses were around b/c they let me dupe stuff during the last few months
Absolutely:

rrr_img_96450.jpg

rrr_img_96451.jpg

TomServo

<Bronze Donator>
probably. These guys bring a real level of professional delivery of constant progress and steady communication. reminds me of the axanar kickstarter

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
Vanguard had some pretty cool visuals, but it had a very sterile feeling in many of the zones. Tsang's Tomb not being one of them, nor that giant dungeon (not a big dungeon, but a dungeon of giants) out in the no-man's land of northern Thestra. Those places absolutely bled ambiance. But many of the starting areas (Looking at you, kojan) were absolutely plastic looking. And that's using good tech at the time.

Japanfour_sl

shitlord
Vanguard had some pretty cool visuals, but it had a very sterile feeling in many of the zones. Tsang's Tomb not being one of them, nor that giant dungeon (not a big dungeon, but a dungeon of giants) out in the no-man's land of northern Thestra. Those places absolutely bled ambiance. But many of the starting areas (Looking at you, kojan) were absolutely plastic looking. And that's using good tech at the time.
yeah some places were really unfinished. But some dungeons were so fucking epic it was insane. Zihurr mound was insane, there was some dungeon that me and a friend stumbled upon, it was hidden inside a shipwreck, that I guess crashed into an underground temple. The temple was like 6 floors deep. VT was insane. You have to admit, they really made alot out of the 1-50 experience/journey, even for being marginalized and cut short.

Now dungeons are equivalent to the scary ride at the town fair. boo!

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
There was that Thestran castle/dungeon that everyone did for the cloak if they weren't doing the progressive stuff in Qalia. That place really felt like a worn down castle with goblins and shit inhabiting it. I tried to get people to do the Ancients stuff, but eventually we just went with the barely finished areas in Thestra. That undead dungeon thing was absolutely atrocious. Greycloak, Greymane, Grey...something? I forget, but it was a shitfest. Admittedly, I only played 3 months into release, and content kind of didn't exist past 40 for the majority of that. Minotaur coliseum was the most retarded thing I can reasonably remember, but getting the dwarven rape-axe from the dungeon of giants was pretty cool.

Groove

Trakanon Raider
Greystone was the dungeon in Thestra you were thinking about.

Dargun's Tomb was the big-ass dungeon in NE Thestra. Had 3 levels. Goblins or some shit on the top level, Giants on the second level with a really cool timed quest where you had waves and eaves of them coming at you and had 5 or 10 minuted to kill as many as possible. Then the bottom level had undead Dwarves that finally gave you the red legendary weapon.

The Cragwind Ridge questline was a real slog of a grind but also awarded you with a red legendary at the end (and a clickie usuable from inventory that increased dps for like 10secs or something, reuable every 5 minutes).

Really miss the long quest chains from that game. But what really made the game for me was the community. Shout out to the lovely peeps of VG, esp my former guildmates in Heroes of the Flame, Istid, and Exile.

The EMU is looking good, keep on trucking guys.

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I want this back so bad. I get a weird itch to play this every so often, and I can't anymore, so I'm definitely hoping this takes off. I didn't see any donate/crowdfund type option (I lack the skills to donate time and help unfortunately), but I'm guessing there isn't one due to SOE not officially sanctioning this?