Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Curious if you were able to collect drop tables. Specifically thinking of lower level incredibly rare heroics. The existence of items like that made the game for me.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I played Vanguard once for about 15 minutes back in beta.

My dad put together his first "high end" gaming PC just for this game. We were super excited to try it out. I gave him access to the beta account and when I came back from school that day he looked devastated.

Why aren't you playing?

I tried it, but...

You didn't like it?

Ah, well it's pretty rough.

Can I play?

Sure, but it's still early beta.

The game is supposed to be out in a few months, it can't be that bad.

I rolled a dwarf cleric, in an empty valley next to a stone tower. The game ran at like 10-15 FPS. It was EQ with two targeting bars and "better" graphics.

I'm still salty about this fucking game 8 years later.
I played the game in what was basically Alpha / First Beta back when it was in the hands of Microsoft still. Less than 100 people on the server at any given time and holy crap was it a mess!! You could simply bugreport nonstop all day everyday. I gave it another spin when it went to SoE, but it was so close to release and the engine was still a total bomb. I never tried release.

Faux

Lord Nagafen Raider
Curious if you were able to collect drop tables. Specifically thinking of lower level incredibly rare heroics. The existence of items like that made the game for me.
I think at one point an official source said there were about 500k items in the game, which included the huge number of permutations for crafted gear. We have about 1/10th of that number in our item database. There simply weren't enough people collecting to get all the mob dropped items in our short timeframe. And I don't believe the packet flow actually linked the mobs to their drops. We may try to automate rebuilding that data given proximity of a loot packet to an npc death packet, but a lot of that will probably have to be done manually. Maybe in the future, someone will leak the VG database
smile.png
. We can dream.

Jim Russel

Lord Nagafen Raider
Curse had a decent database. Pretty sure that it was all manually entered by players, so the percentages weren't perfect, but at least it had items to npcs. I bet they still have the data.

Iirc, I think curse shut down their vg site long before vg twighlighted.

There was also another item tracking project that continued after curse ended the vg site. It was run by a community member that had drops and mob locations. It had a weird name like vanguard-guilds or something like that. It might even have been packet based? It's hard for me to remember. I bet I have a little more info in one of my email account. If you want me to check I can.

calla_sl

shitlord
vanguardsohguilds.com had a ton of drops. i believe the one and same person who hosted that site is the lead for the emulator

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Damn, the memories of VG. I am playing soundtrack and looking through old screens, found these. Trying to spawn boat in fountain thing in Leth Nure trying to go over waterfall in boat. ha.

rrr_img_103301.jpg

Then we ended up like this:

rrr_img_103302.jpg

Fun stuff.

StoiCynic

Trakanon Raider
I loved the way streams had a current. I remember being all the way up in that Leth Nurai city as a noobie and grouping up with folks all the way to the SE by some troll cave. Being too dangerous/far away for my low level to travel conventionaly, I ended up hopping in and riding the current straight to them. I found that pretty neat, wonder why more games don't do that.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I loved the way streams had a current. I remember being all the way up in that Leth Nurai city as a noobie and grouping up with folks all the way to the SE by some troll cave. Being too dangerous/far away for my low level to travel conventionaly, I ended up hopping in and riding the current straight to them. I found that pretty neat, wonder why more games don't do that.
Yes, which made stuff like levitate matter. The area/dungeon navigation "skills" were a great part of VG. More than just invis or FD for sure.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Awesome that you guys continue to stick with this project. Good stuff!