Vanguard - I don't give a fuck if it's dead, It's still brown as fuck (Download link in 1st post)

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Yeah but it isn't like the version on the servers is a nightly trunk build. Just re-do the engine while you continue to put in other fixes.

I don't know if there is any value in the IP. Honestly it probably would be a determinant to re-release under the VG banner. I don't know if SOE has a software patent or something on offensive/defensive targeting or what but more games need to use it. It makes the game so much more dynamic. If SOE does have patents on some various nuances that made VG great then perhaps it would be smart to get the IP. But I don't know too many people frothing over a VG:Next or anything.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So, I have never played the game outside of Beta 2005/2006.

What is the current state? I might give this a shot, as I have nothing better to do. What is a good high pop server? Should I pick a solo class (Necro?) or should I box a couple classes? Which classes are fun / which should I avoid?

Am I crazy for getting into it this late?

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Not sure the phrase "high pop server" and VG have ever been uttered in the same sentence
smile.png

Bruman

Golden Squire
There is only one server.

VG pretty much gets praised for it's class design - they're supposed to all be excellent. Apparently rogue and something else are harder to solo (warrior?), but every class can do it. Disciple and Dread Knight are known as the best solo'ers. Everything in between can solo really well too.

The VG community is generally really nice and helpful - but that's because it's very small. People who just want to troll will move to where there's a bigger audience. VG is also best when grouping. It has a bunch of WoW-style quests, but they're a poor way to experience the game. The low pop makes it harder to group, but apparently it's not too tough if you're on the "golden path" that the game kinda suggests you go in anyways. You could also box if that's your thing.

It's free, so shit, doesn't hurt to try out. Definitely get off the island and check out a dungeon or two, run around exploring on your horse some, before you make a judgement call on the game though.

calla_sl

shitlord
Well I cannot explain the details, and maybe someone better versed in the nuts and bolts can do a better job than me, but it was my understanding that there is a serious problem with the engine itself. It didn't sound like something you can just fix and keep rolling. The engine is going to require nearly an entire rewrite. But again, maybe someone can explain this better or correct me if I'm wrong.

Not only that, I would love to see a dedicated team just go over every single inch of the game and give it the attention it deserved before it was released. Hell, you could even rebox it and put it back on shelves. Call it, Vanguard Phoenix Gold Edition. Toss in cloth maps, coins, a free months play, pix of the developers working on it.....the theory is cool haha. That would help recoup some of the money that a major overhaul would cost.
not only is the engine itself old and outdated for current technology, but when the game was coded, a lot of things were done sloppily which is why people say the code looks like spaghetti. devs can put in fixes here and there for bugs, but they can't predict how their changes will affect other aspects of the game. the code has been patched over so much that the devs have actually be rewriting things from scratch.

i really dont know what the fuck soe intends for the game. i would have hoped that the recent improvements to the revenue from f2p would convince smedly to give vg some more attention, but they go ahead and cut staff across the board of all their games.

i understand it was a corporate move, but in the process, soe got rid of one of the devs who was actually really cool to work with. so basically vg team looks like wigin, tloch, and queck (art assets). its kind of sad that vg only has 2 full time devs assigned to it.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Starting playing again and skipped the Isle of Dawn to do the Half Elf Kojan starting experience. I still love that opening experience, even if there are fetch quests. I don't feel like it's as forced down my throat or thrown my way in a way that feels like I'm on some fast track tunnel to cap. I love the music, too.

It's been good times the past two nights I've played and I'm going to dig real deep this weekend.

Raign

Golden Squire
Thinks I will give this a try. So bored right now waiting for Wildstar/Star Citizen or EQ:n at this point even if I get a few hours out of it, it is worth it.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
I six box on one PC, just tabbing between each client. It works fine it's just really hard work and quite slow in the higher levels. Mobs have a huge amount of HP and tend to be in groups. A real group would mez one or two and nuke hell out of them one by one, but as a 6 box it's hard to do all that. My tank takes almost constant attention to keep alive and to hold aggro, which means that even shooting off a few nukes takes a few seconds that you just don't have. I can just about pull it off, but it's hard work and really slow progress. I gave up but I'm back now and I'm going to try it again. Going to switch a few classes around to try to make it a bit easier to manage.

Been playing a bit of Tera too.

Fish1_sl

shitlord
Damn I wish I could do that, only got one pc :/ There is guy in the EQ Mac thread who does a full AoE group using 3 PC's, he does such amazing stuff. I think he uses ISBoxer too. Maybe I should find an old laptop or something.

I did something one time on my own PC and some jealous scumtwat saw me pwning stuff and reported me and some other scumtwat GM questioned me about it. Autobahn it was, I gave him a real hard time and in the end he left me alone because he obviously couldn't prove anything and I just told him I was super awesome. He followed me around for about an hour invis, and popped up little windows that made me click and stuff. Sad that he would basically harass me for doing something that harms nobody, on their one remaining server with 10 fucking players left.