Venom (2018)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
That and why he stopped slowly killing Brock
Food.
I thought it was actually pretty OK. Formulaic as fuck, predictable, not A++ CGI, but acceptable, cheesy villain, stupid girlfriend - pretty much par for a standard Marvel film (yes, I know it's Sony). It does feel a bit like Black Panther, chase scene, big CGI 1v1 fight scene at the end. You can tell though, that they spent all their money on the bike chase scene as that just went on way too long, and should have been cut down to allow more Brock/Venom conversation time. Or more high jinks, to lighten up everyone else being blatantly over aggressive and "serious". There were some plot holes, significant lack of real violence (giant blades slicing across the room like a blunt object, just, what...). But overall, a fun, simple, popcorn movie, and Tom Hardy and Venom were very enjoyable themselves. I dunno, I managed to shut off my brain and enjoyed it. 2 1/2'ish to 3 stars. Acceptable, since my expectations weren't exactly high.

If you guys remember Venom was always criticized for being a bad spiderman villian with style emphasized over substance. One of the more popular in a long line of cool looking shallow supervillians culminating in Doomsday who kills Superman with no backstory given whatsoever.
There was an entire issue dedicated to the creation of the original Doomsday. An alien race that spends millennia perfecting a being that is incapable of dying via evolving on the spot. Once it became that thing, it killed all of the scientists, destroyed their entire planet, got picked up floating through space, fucked up planet after planet until it landed on Earth. He was literally unstoppable, and in order to "beat" him, a level 10 power celestial like being had to transport him to the end of time because if he didn't, Doomsday would have literally brought on the end of any inhabited planet he encountered because he was otherwise unstoppable. The latter half and conclusion of that story was actually pretty damn decent. Every other iteration of Doomsday has been dumb as fuck.

But this is a Venom thread, not a Superman thread. Venom was never really interesting on his own. He did best when being a supporting character to Spider-Man. Brock and Parker, reluctant buddy cops.

Last edited:

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
There was an entire issue dedicated to the creation of the original Doomsday. An alien race that spends millennia perfecting a being that is incapable of dying via evolving on the spot. Once it became that thing, it killed all of the scientists, destroyed their entire planet, got picked up floating through space, fucked up planet after planet until it landed on Earth. He was literally unstoppable, and in order to "beat" him, a level 10 power celestial like being had to transport him to the end of time because if he didn't, Doomsday would have literally brought on the end of any inhabited planet he encountered because he was otherwise unstoppable. The latter half and conclusion of that story was actually pretty damn decent. Every other iteration of Doomsday has been dumb as fuck.

But this is a Venom thread, not a Superman thread. Venom was never really interesting on his own. He did best when being a supporting character to Spider-Man. Brock and Parker, reluctant buddy cops.

Pretty sure Doomsday didn't destroy the entire planet: Could have sworn the planet Doomsday was created on was Kypton long before it was settled by the Kryptonians: he was created to control the hostile life forms so that it could be settled.

Jimmycarterwuwu

Silver Knight of the Realm
Venom fan here also massive juggernaut fan, talked shit on both their first main appearances. Last 30 minutes were great for Venom. He has to have a rated R movie, especially if Carnage is in the fold. If they were money/ fanboy driven to maximize the adult fanboys. They need to include Deadpool jugs venom and carnage as their bad ass side of marvel. Rated R bullshit to the max and have them cameo in their pg13 movies turned down. Keep the older and bring in the younger crowd at once.*********let me add wolverine/old longan as the level headed psychopath

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Pretty sure Doomsday didn't destroy the entire planet: Could have sworn the planet Doomsday was created on was Kypton long before it was settled by the Kryptonians: he was created to control the hostile life forms so that it could be settled.
Validating my facts, the planet was Krypton, but it wasn't Kryptonian scientists as it was 250,000 years before Superman, and the planet was virtually uninhabitable at that time due to extreme heat. Scientists were using it as a test bed. He definitely murdered the scientists who created him.

• 1Like

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Validating my facts, the planet was Krypton, but it wasn't Kryptonian scientists as it 250,000 years before Superman, and the planet was virtually uninhabitable at that time due to extreme heat. Scientists were using it as a test bed. He definitely murdered the scientists who created him.

Oh I didnt doubt the scientists were murdered. I should have been more specific: i thought they were like "proto kryptonians" but looking it up again, yeah the scientist was independent of the other inhabitants of the planet

Valishar

Molten Core Raider
There was an entire issue dedicated to the creation of the original Doomsday.
Yes, and it came out a year AFTER the Death of Superman arc. When he first showed up you had no idea who the hell it was, the buildup was some nameless thing was punching a steel wall somewhere at the end of the 4 issues prior.

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
Fun movie.. hardy & venom together were great.. found the whole thing quite entertaining. cgi boss fight was meh, but in general the movie was very enjoyable.

• 1Like

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
so the movie was good for a summer blockbuster. CGI was good. Story overall was meh at best. Hardy and Venom was a good bromance. everyone laughed @ Jump ....Pussy.

So the best part of the movie was...the after credit stuff.

woody harrelson there will be Carnage.

2nd post credit was a nice way to get hype for a new animated movie that looks perry fucking awesome.

• 1Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
so the movie was good for a summer blockbuster. CGI was good. Story overall was meh at best. Hardy and Venom was a good bromance. everyone laughed @ Jump ....Pussy.

So the best part of the movie was...the after credit stuff.

woody harrelson there will be Carnage.

2nd post credit was a nice way to get hype for a new animated movie that looks perry fucking awesome.

Your spoiler is a stunning revelation, and the second part is just ... no. It was way too kiddie slapstick garbage, total cringe.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

Goonsquad Officer
I liked it okay i guess
I like the idea of venom. it felt weird without brock competing with peter parker.

I was CONVINCED at the start that the leader of EVIL_CORPERATION_02 was secretly already a symbiote as a way to explain his absurd behavior (and he said "we" a lot in the context of "we can do this guys!). it felt like showing riot sneaking through hosts to get to america took a lot of screen time that wasn't needed.

I feel like a scene was cut that showed venom gaining his empathy for humans. or at least his desire to stay and have fun.

Its also fucking weird that brock is the sort of fellow he is but they made him a newscaster and not a youtuber.

sexy girl venom was weird. i always got the impression that venom couldn't escape brock easily. it was dangerous so venom had to bargain with brock. in the movie he went from brock to vent to dog to girlfriend back to brock. it makes the migration of symbiote too easy i guess?

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Pretty good/surprising second weekend hold at 55%. It seems the audience actually like this and the word of mouth is decent. Younger people are really driving it. Heading for $200+ million domestically on a $100 million budget, so Sony's got to be pretty happy about this outcome.

• 1Like

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
A surprising amount of younger people I've talked to really really like Tom Hardy. Hardy fanboys/fangirls probably driving it a lot too.

Rais

Trakanon Raider
Wasn't the best story in the world, but I liked the direction they took it.

• 2Like

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Ill see the next movie in franchise. Really that what matters most in a movie like this. Cant say the same about next antman and deadpool though. Now next avengers is a definite must see. So the movie succeeded in launching a franchise as far as I'm concerned. Now if the follow can sustain that franchise is the question.

• 4WTF
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

a c i d.f l y

ಠ_ಠ
<Silver Donator>
Ill see the next movie in franchise. Really that what matters most in a movie like this. Cant say the same about next antman and deadpool though. Now next avengers is a definite must see. So the movie succeeded in launching a franchise as far as I'm concerned. Now if the follow can sustain that franchise is the question.
Yeah, what....

• 1Worf

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>

You OK there, buddy? Do we need to call a technician to review your adherence to the 3 laws of robotics?

• 1EyeRoll

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator

Habla Inglés?

spronk

FPS noob

did you also like The Mummy (with Tom Cruise), Ghostbusters 2016, F4ant4stic F4r and Justice League