Venturebeat: Blizzard delays unannounced MMO until 2016, resets whole project

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Hearthstone, WoW stuff, Diablo 3 stuff (expansion maybe?) and a new Starcraft 2 campaign? I don't know, nothing too exciting and nothing that probably couldn't have just occupied a small booth at E3.

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
Pretty sure they are coming out with a hex clone but hex will release sooner so they had to can it.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
The problem is that there is no game out there that is crazy new and amazing for them to iterate on and make better. So they are having a tough time making something amazing. That's my theory.
Indeed ! Think about it, the next 12-18 months sees 4 substantial releases that will show quite a bit about what the market wants ( EQnext, ArchAge NA, Wildstar, TESO ). That said its scary that Blizzard does not know where to take its next MMO. Imagine the pressure they have to repeat... its worse than that of the copycats LOL.

Perhaps the Genre is going to get a reboot and Blizzard realizes its needed...

Araxen

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Interesting...

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost...&postcount=260
From a poster on MMO champion a couple weeks ago:

Quote:
One rumor I had heard a few weeks ago, was that the IGN deal cemented Blizzards' desire to move forward only into eSports. If it can't be eSported, it's off the table. Which meant Titan was now not going to be a priority, and might be sold-off lock stock and barrel.

Yesterday, Titans's senior world designer quit Blizzard, to move closer to family...
Quote:
The only person I've ever seen give accurate info on Titan says it's not even going to make it out of beta, so make of that what you will.

Qhue

Tranny Chaser
Like everyone else I had not heard much about Titan, but I will admit that the tidbits I did hear made it sound not terribly exciting. Then again all the things I heard could have been total BS, but it sounded less like a singular IP and more like an MMO Construction Set whose success was dependent on the quality of user generated content.

Nija

<Silver Donator>
My neighbors best friend is a bliz dev working on this project. At least he was working on it. I wish he would share something, but he's tight lipped and pretends he has no idea what I'm talking about any time I bring up any titan related info.
Yeah, Blizzard pays the guys in the know to keep quiet. I played QWTF with a guy who got hired working Diablo support. Moved up for D2, then got some snazzy job on WoW early on. He dropped off the face of the planet around that time. They want complete radio silence.

Muligan

Trakanon Raider
Sounds like EQ and WoW timeline all over again. We'll get EQNext, play it for a few years, be driven crazy by SoE, eventually get fed up to the point we can kick our addiction and overlook the countless hours poured into our character only to move on the Titan and talk about how superior it is compared to EQNext and wonder how we ever tolerated it. After a few years of Titan we will begin to reminisce the EQNext glory days and fight over which EMU EQNext classic server is the worst.

Did you really expect a Blizzard project to not be delayed? Seriously... this is only the beginning to the trademark "soon" for Titan.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
You assume EQN won't be another PS2 where people ooh and ahh for a couple of weeks and dump it. If that is their idea of sand box they can keep it.

I don't really care what they had or what it was about since it was completely scrapped and likely crap. Maybe they figure its better to just milk WoW over the next 2 years until they figure out something worth making? Cutting the team that much implies its back to black board design time.

I'd love to see how much they spent on it so far.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
Sounds like EQ and WoW timeline all over again. We'll get EQNext, play it for a few years, be driven crazy by SoE, eventually get fed up to the point we can kick our addiction and overlook the countless hours poured into our character only to move on the Titan and talk about how superior it is compared to EQNext and wonder how we ever tolerated it. After a few years of Titan we will begin to reminisce the EQNext glory days and fight over which EMU EQNext classic server is the worst.

Did you really expect a Blizzard project to not be delayed? Seriously... this is only the beginning to the trademark "soon" for Titan.
It hasn't been delayed though; it's essentially been nixxed. They're wiping the slate clean and starting fresh. I wonder if they'll even continue to call it "Titan."

Sean_sl

shitlord
I'm sure we all expected it to be delayed. I don't think anyone expected the project to be completely reset and 70% of the workforce moved off it, however.

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Jesus I wonder how many man hours and money was dumped into the game to be pushed back like this. Shit if Wildstar doesn't pull through I really don't see any MMO that I would actually play.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
Confirmed:

"We've always had a highly iterative development process, and the unannounced MMO is no exception. We've come to a point where we need to make some large design and technology changes to the game. We're using this opportunity to shift some of our resources to assist with other projects while the core team adapts our technology and tools to accommodate these new changes. Note that we haven't announced any dates for the MMO."
Story at ZAM.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
LOL at all those people that bought Blizzcon tickets cause they thought Titan would be there.

Cantatus

Lord Nagafen Raider
Who better to clone WoW than Blizzard, though?
A ways back, they were talking about how Titan was going to be something "completely new." I'm guessing their original goal was to not compete with WoW since it still has a ton of subscribers. I'm sort of wondering if pushing the release date back a couple years will change that approach though. If this game comes out in 2015, WoW will have been out for over a decade.

Hearthstone, WoW stuff, Diablo 3 stuff (expansion maybe?) and a new Starcraft 2 campaign? I don't know, nothing too exciting and nothing that probably couldn't have just occupied a small booth at E3.
There's also Blizzard All-Stars or whatever they're calling their DOTA game now.

agripa

Molten Core Raider
I wonder if this has anything to do with Vivendi trying to sell off their stake in Activision Blizzard.

gogojira_sl

shitlord
I forgot about that game, but that's pretty laughable, too. It's likely that they're reevaluating Titan because it's yet another MMO in a sea of the same old shit, but they're going to push forward with a game in a genre that's way too crowded. I know DOTA basically spawned the whole genre, but since then there have been countless MOBA games released (even DOTA2 lol), EA is actively trying to cash-in, and now Blizzard All-Stars is going to tread on the same turf as 15 other options. Man Blizzard is stagnating hard.

TecKnoe

Molten Core Raider
I forgot about that game, but that's pretty laughable, too. It's likely that they're reevaluating Titan because it's yet another MMO in a sea of the same old shit, but they're going to push forward with a game in a genre that's way too crowded. I know DOTA basically spawned the whole genre, but since then there have been countless MOBA games released (even DOTA2 lol), EA is actively trying to cash-in, and now Blizzard All-Stars is going to tread on the same turf as 15 other options. Man Blizzard is stagnating hard.
Too bad for them their reputation is shit now, and these days a blizzard game is looked at as tainted, not the grass is greener scenario they are hoping for.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
after the abortion that was diablo 3, i could care less about anything blizzard; unless the remaining 30 are going to resurrect blizzard north.