Victoria 3 - Paradox

Chris

Potato del Grande
The PDX wokeness is full frontal in this game. To the point that all nations regardless of culture or geographic location all play the same. There is absolutely no flavor at all in the choice of nation to play. All in the name of "equality"
Lol what!? So what's the point then?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Just as BoA finally killed WoW for me and I have not spent a dime on it since, this seems to have killed Paradox games for me. Thanks for saving me $50.

• 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
It seems like it could be fun in certain situations, like what is so different than eu IV? Specifically. Is it really just no variation?

And yea lol even playing the tutorial i still dont know what the fuck I should be doing. Talk about layers to a game, fuck. At least in Crusader Kings you knew what to do, as in create inbred dynasties with as many negative traits as possible, etc.

In this game its like...just kind of queue up stuff and wait for random events.

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
I'm just looking forward to the vidoes of all the crazy shit people can exploit in something as complex as this. I still remember when EU4 was new people found out that if you could chain up all the merchants you could get you could get trade incomes in the tens of thousands of ducats per month.

Blazin

Creative Title
<Nazi Janitors>
I don't have a ton of time in it yet but I'm certainly liking it better than the Rome release. It is a little cumbersome trying to get a handle on what's occurring, I'm dorky enough I tend to play games like this with excel on another monitor. My early impression is that if you always went for "balance" there would be little variation in play throughs, what I'm hoping works is being able to do different nations building economy completely differently.

I think people are going at it that all things should be balanced in your approach, provide for every need make every good etc. The issue of military isn't bothering me as much as others either, I have plenty of other paradox options for warfare strategy and I don't mind something being more economic focused.

Still too early for me to really say if this is a 500hr game or a >50hr game. With most of the grand strategy paradox titles the DLC seems obvious, here I'm not exactly sure what direction they are going to take it. It will not surprise me at all if we see some overhaul on how the economy is shown via UI choices. Too much flipping to goods tab on market page then back to production overlay, something just seems off with the flow of it.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I'm just looking forward to the vidoes of all the crazy shit people can exploit in something as complex as this. I still remember when EU4 was new people found out that if you could chain up all the merchants you could get you could get trade incomes in the tens of thousands of ducats per month.

there ya go!

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Yeah, saw it. Love his shit. Can't wait for him to find more stuff to exploit.

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
I have played Paradox games for years. They just get worse and worse over time. The worse to me is the "two years later, our summer intern makes dramatic gameplay changes that break everything."

I've been playing Old World Blues mod on Hearts of Iron IV (it's a Fallout-themed amazing mod, one of the best mods I've ever seen), and Paradox launches a worthless update on the game and now it's broken and nothing works and fuck Paradox why do I even bother with their trash they make good games then slowly destroy them and make them useless.

Don't get me started on Crusader Kings II or Stellaris.

Their incompetence is arguably a breach of the sales contract and they could be held liable to a multinational class action lawsuit for just wrecking their own games after a year or so because of fucking incompetent management and production. I'd love to make them pay everyone who ever bought their games $50 because they made their own games technically unplayable after the purchase date, in violation of basic contract law.

They managed to turn their biggest fans into their loudest critics through pure incompetence.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
And the thing is, this wouldn't be so much of a problem if they just made 2-4 expansions per game iteration before moving on to the next. EU4 is what, 10 years old now and still being worked on? I mean, there is a difference between a game like EU4 where they constantly make huge gameplay changes each expansion, and ETS2 where the expansion just adds a new country to drive around. People are still happy with Vicky2, HoI3 (and even 2), not so much EU3, but whatever, and that is because they were "normal" games, got a couple of expansions, then moved on. Game good.

• 1Like

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Sooooo I never played either.

Should I start with 2 or 3?

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
I have played Paradox games for years. They just get worse and worse over time. The worse to me is the "two years later, our summer intern makes dramatic gameplay changes that break everything."

I've been playing Old World Blues mod on Hearts of Iron IV (it's a Fallout-themed amazing mod, one of the best mods I've ever seen), and Paradox launches a worthless update on the game and now it's broken and nothing works and fuck Paradox why do I even bother with their trash they make good games then slowly destroy them and make them useless.

Don't get me started on Crusader Kings II or Stellaris.

Their incompetence is arguably a breach of the sales contract and they could be held liable to a multinational class action lawsuit for just wrecking their own games after a year or so because of fucking incompetent management and production. I'd love to make them pay everyone who ever bought their games $50 because they made their own games technically unplayable after the purchase date, in violation of basic contract law.

They managed to turn their biggest fans into their loudest critics through pure incompetence.
You should be able to set your steam game to older versions so that you can still play with mods that are only compatible for older versions.

• 1Like

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
It's much easier with paradox games because they have old versions available as beta versions you can switch to. You do have to get the beta access code from your paradox account, but that's a pretty small hurdle considering most games don't allow this functionality as easily.

1674405445999.png

• 1Like

Aaron

Goonsquad Officer
<Bronze Donator>
Sooooo I never played either.

Should I start with 2 or 3?
2 is considered a masterpiece, if a bit dated, but has a very strong mod community. The drawback is it takes a long time to learn. But most who take the time love it. 3 seems to be a mixed blessing, some love it, others hate it. Better graphics, better UI, but also a bit bugged and unintuitive.

• 1Like