Virtual Reality

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
There is a way to play Skyrim in VR so I imagine that Fallout 4 will be capable pretty quickly after release.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Yep. Right now VR support is enabled by Skyrim and other games through a 3rd party application (VorpX or Vireio). Because OVR keeps changing their SDK API (and rightfully so) it hurts groups like that trying to wrap their SDK. Once OVR settles on an API definition and stabilizes their SDK groups will be able to have much more consistent support.

What that means is that we can expect VR support in FO4 and a lot of other games without much effort from the user.

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't think .6 apps work on .7 so if this actually works with both that is great news.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
I'm still stuck on the 0.5 SDK since Elite: Dangerous is taking their time with some sort of compatibility issues in the newer SDK builds.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Oculus has been saying that CV1 pre-orders will start before the end of the year for a while now. However as far as I know there is no official date set yet.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Ah ok. Any news on preorders is a big deal to me. I know OVR is trying to have mass produced head sets to meet demand, but it's very possible that not being in on the first hour of pre-ordering might delay delivery for weeks. That depends on how much marketing they do before opening up pre-orders.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
image someone made on locomotion in VR, focusing on anti motion sickness.
https://i.imgur.com/Y5XPxY9.jpg
Y5XPxY9.jpg

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I think walking would fall under "Deal with it"
I'm still not sure what you mean. The Rift is intended as a seated experience so external walking is a bit unsupported (but still possible, and lots of people will use stuff likehttp://www.virtuix.com/thingto do it.

The HTC VIVE however is targeting a small room size walking experience, but there are a lot of challenges to overcome that make me think that is more of a demoable experience than a lengthy user-driven one (who wants to walk in circles in a room for hours?).

As for internally walking, that poster decries it but I think VR game modalities will be extremely popular where it's ports like Skyrim/GTA or games built from the ground up where you walk around. However it has some real obstacles that space sims don't when it comes to motion sickness. I just think the upside of general purpose VR in FPS/TPS games will be worth overcoming that from a technical and player standpoint.