Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
The phone heating up issue seemz like it should be a surmountable problem. They should just chuck some copper heatsinks onto it!

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
but the lenses become fogged every now and then. You have to try and stay really calm and breathe easily or you will fog the lenses really fast and have to take off headset to let condense.
Having to take it off every 10 minutes due to lenses fogging over sounds like bad design to me. I can wear the Rift for hours without any fogging at all.

That or you're one sweaty motherfucker.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So do we know the specs on the retail version of the vive or the oc? Which way is everyone leaning on which one to get, price not a factor.

Column_sl

shitlord

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So do we know the specs on the retail version of the vive or the oc? Which way is everyone leaning on which one to get, price not a factor.
I believe specs are final.

HTC Vive - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Oculus Rift - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Physically they are very similar. Their tracking system is different. The rift is targeting a seated VR experience. The Vive is targeting a room sized VR experience (but can do seated too of course).

I'm planning on getting the Rift. I think the out-the-box support and game profile will be better due to the DK1 + DK2 iteration cycle. We will know a lot more when pre-orders start for the Rift, which I'm guessing could be in the next few weeks.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
They will be, but who knows what availability there is. It might be one best buy, gamestop and frys in every big city or something

http://www.roadtovr.com/oculus-plans...nsumer-launch/

I also wouldn't be surprised if they change their mind after finding out that n00bs using VR without someone competent helping them calibrate it causes those n00bs to think the experience sucks because it's out of focus or something. It's not super complex to set up, but unless you know what it looks like when it's working, you don't know the difference between a bad product and a misconfigured product.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Having to take it off every 10 minutes due to lenses fogging over sounds like bad design to me. I can wear the Rift for hours without any fogging at all.

That or you're one sweaty motherfucker.
Lol. No i wasnt sweating at all. The room temparature and how well the set is attached to your face are the main factors i believe. Sometimes I had to pause and wipe or let condense but others I used for long periods with no problem.

The overheating issue has seemed to subside a bit, as I stopped clipping the black plastic cover over the phone. It also depends what content is in use.

The Gear VR is obviously a crude vr experience in the infant stages of development, but the Rift wil be waaay better in summer 16. It isnt going to take 10 fuckin years to sort out frames and res issues lol. VR will be mindblowing to the average user by 2017 easily if not by christmas next year.

Even the 360 vid tour with optimal settings on the samsung vr is pretty goddamned impressive and wholly immersive.

Teljair_sl

shitlord
I had a Samsung Gear VR, it made me sick in about 10 minutes. I'm not sure if the screen door effect caused it or what.

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
So has anyone actually played a game using Rift? Everytime I think of VR I think of VR in the early 90's. I hear the hype for this has been totally blown out of proportion.

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
So has anyone actually played a game using Rift? Everytime I think of VR I think of VR in the early 90's. I hear the hype for this has been totally blown out of proportion.
I believe the tech is now powerful enough to back up the hype. The stuff in the 90s was using pretty much the most primitive 3D graphics we had. That shit was terrible.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I believe the tech is now powerful enough to back up the hype. The stuff in the 90s was using pretty much the most primitive 3D graphics we had. That shit was terrible.
Have you tried it yet?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I have a DK2 and played an assortment of games. The hype is legitimate (though blown out of proportion by faux-tech journalists of course).

The difference between the 90s VR and today's VR is equal in magnitude to the difference between the cell phones of the 90s and the mobile devices of today. In fact that improvement (the display and processing power) is the key enabler of today's VR.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
I have a DK2 and played an assortment of games. The hype is legitimate (though blown out of proportion by faux-tech journalists of course).

The difference between the 90s VR and today's VR is equal in magnitude to the difference between the cell phones of the 90s and the mobile devices of today. In fact that improvement (the display and processing power) is the key enabler of today's VR.
Ok sounds better than. I keep envisioning VR as still being one of these things:

View-Master - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Just wait a few months. I'm sure when the CV1 releases early next year it'll be super easy to get a demo of the first "commercial high end VR" system and you can see for yourself if it's legit.

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
Yeah. I am trying not to get my hopes up too high because it sounds awesome... I'll try one sometime next year.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Nobody is gonna buy these things right off the hop.

What do you guys think of the concept of a VR based hospitality operation, kinda like a karaoke booth bar?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Nobody is gonna buy these things right off the hop.

What do you guys think of the concept of a VR based hospitality operation, kinda like a karaoke booth bar?
I think we'll see between 500k and 1 million VR sales, including Gear, Rift and Vive next year.