Virtual Reality

Zuuljin

Bronze Knight of the Realm
A question to anyone who's used it... What is most impressive/immersive about it? The image itself and how its displayed in 3d, or the motion tracking with being able to look around a scene? Or maybe both combined?

I was curious how it would be to play a FPS without all the head tracking, just using this as a '3d monitor' headset. Maybe I'm wrong, but the split image stream comes from your computer. Its not split and processed at the headset. So you could theoretically make your own display with a tablet/phone app and a pair of lenses, using the Rift video stream? I would think the lenses would be the hardest part to DIY, but I'm sure you could rip them from something else.

Prototype...
rrr_img_47072.jpg

Intropy

Shit Gamer
The impressive part is that it actually replaces your entire field of vision for both eyes, aside from the giant pixels it doesn't feel like you are looking at a screen at all. This combined with lag free head tracking makes it basically the same experience as looking around a room in real life.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I'm sort of interested in doing some dev work for this, but I need to do more research. I really want to get one

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
So do you move by moving your head and body? What about MKB? How does this work with an FPS?

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Right now there's just rotational tracking (as in, rotating your head left/right, up/down, tilting it etc). There's no positional tracking which prevents you from being able to walk around in it (This also causes some equilibrium issues with people).

But the truth is that once they get positional tracking in it'll be up to the developers to determine how it works. There's nothing preventing a developer from disabling the head tracking and only using a controller input.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Oh and the 4k stuff is good news but isn't really surprising. To answer Sean's question it won't be retina level quality but I think it'll be good enough that people won't clamor for more. Honestly if I had a 60hz 1080 hmd and had to chose between a 4k or 120hz upgrade I'd take the 120hz. When the screen is that close to you movement from large objects can be very disorienting which is why mirrors edge can be rough to play with the rift.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the demand for visual quality increases dramatically when the screen encompasses your fov so much and even when more pixels are added. It makes no sense to increase the pixels when your machine can't produce a solid 60fps for them.

Column_sl

shitlord
Tuco do you have a rift?

I'm pretty happy with the current dev kit, I would easly spend another 300 for any upgrade.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Tuco do you have a rift?

I'm pretty happy with the current dev kit, I would easly spend another 300 for any upgrade.
Nah. But I'm going to get an HD version when it comes out. I have some ideas of how to integrate it with some of the mobile robotics I do and I think it's the future of gaming.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Nah. But I'm going to get an HD version when it comes out. I have some ideas of how to integrate it with some of the mobile robotics I do and I think it's the future of gaming.
Sounds cool. What do you do?

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I would be satisfied if they would just release the HD version.
The pixels dont bother me as much as not being able to see distance objects in focus.

But, yeah the limit of the tech is that you are essentially looking at a screen through a magnifying glass. So unless like Attog mentioned they move to both screens being 4k you will always see some pixelation.

Everyone is a Dev in Austin, so was talking to some people yesterday of some interesting uses of this Technology.

Imagine if the infrastructure was cheap enough, and the battery life was way better we could have portable 360 cameras on lightweight headset much like google glass.

At that point you could jump into someones head, and see everything from there point of view while also being able to talk to them. I term it possession.
Since you dont need them to turn there head to see everything, you could essentially see everything around them including behind them.
It would be much like remote desktop we have now, but instead of remoting into a computer you are remoting into a person

At that point there is allot of applications for this, everything from having trainers work with clients without being onsite. To admins working with field agents ,and guiding them through whatever they need.

In the entertainment market, you could attach the same low weight device to say a famous wide receivers helmet, and allow people to jump into there point of view on the field.
Or even have professional event goers stream there point of view from famous events say the olympics etc.

Lots of options with stuff like this, and the tech is available now.
rrr_img_47364.jpg

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Who's willing to offer a bounty on the first Tranny banged with it on?

Attog

Blackwing Lair Raider
At that point you could jump into someones head, and see everything from there point of view while also being able to talk to them. I term it possession.
Since you dont need them to turn there head to see everything, you could essentially see everything around them including behind them.
It would be much like remote desktop we have now, but instead of remoting into a computer you are remoting into a person

At that point there is allot of applications for this, everything from having trainers work with clients without being onsite. To admins working with field agents ,and guiding them through whatever they need.

In the entertainment market, you could attach the same low weight device to say a famous wide receivers helmet, and allow people to jump into there point of view on the field.
Or even have professional event goers stream there point of view from famous events say the olympics etc.

Lots of options with stuff like this, and the tech is available now.
Shakey Cam X 1000? I predict near instant projectile vomiting.