Virtual Reality

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
from 2 weeks ago:
lOlUdnY.jpg

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
So I used the compatibility checker on the Rift Preorder site and I am good to go on everything but my Usb 3.0 ports. The fuck?

Column_sl

shitlord
The worst thing they can possibly do right now is force VR into the market when it is not ready yet.

They need to figure out how to do things differently because the current way they are doing it takes far too much horsepower.

If we can get up to 4k at over 100 fps on one rift using current PC's then we are getting closer to the mark. Right now we are so far away from that it is pitiful.

OLED displays are terrible for this, and the fact every frame needs to be effectively be run twice is a nightmare. 1080p is a pixelated mess, and the smearing from OLED's is awful.

spronk

FPS noob
They sold out all march pre orders within 20 minutes, then april in about 2 hours, and now all pre orders are May. There is no limit apparently, so they aren't going to cut off pre orders or anything, I just assume there are certain number of units that will be ready by march, april, etc.

i'd expect some bumps though as people get second thoughts and cancel. I'm on the fence about cancelling my march pre order, but i'll give it some time. I don't even see a place where you see where your delivery window is gonna be, but i got my order in at 8:05am (email confirmation) and I remember it saying march.

Left the house around noon when I saw the price and had sticker shock. Came home 2 hours later and looked atOculus Rift price - PC Gamerand thought...I'd better at least order it now. I am hoping they are just giving themselves breathing room with the push back. I have to think even though they are showing May that it will be sooner.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
Palmer has mentioned on Twitter that they have seen a "massive" amount of attempted credit card fraud from idiots trying to pre-order and said to expect dates to shift forward as they cancel those fraudulent orders. Either way, with the ship dated being so close to the new Vive consumer release and the price I don't really see a down side to waiting to see when the price on the Vive is.

I'm curious to see how is AMA is going to go tonight. As late as October he was still saying the CV was going to be close to DK price. It could be a massive train wreck tonight.

mixtilplix

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm going to wait out till nvidia releases their 1k geforce refresh before considering buying a VR headset. I don't want to shell out for a 970/980 when the new pascal chips are almost here.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
They sold out all march pre orders within 20 minutes, then april in about 2 hours, and now all pre orders are May. There is no limit apparently, so they aren't going to cut off pre orders or anything, I just assume there are certain number of units that will be ready by march, april, etc.

i'd expect some bumps though as people get second thoughts and cancel. I'm on the fence about cancelling my march pre order, but i'll give it some time. I don't even see a place where you see where your delivery window is gonna be, but i got my order in at 8:05am (email confirmation) and I remember it saying march.
By 10:15, we had a ship date of April.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Palmer has mentioned on Twitter that they have seen a "massive" amount of attempted credit card fraud from idiots trying to pre-order and said to expect dates to shift forward as they cancel those fraudulent orders. Either way, with the ship dated being so close to the new Vive consumer release and the price I don't really see a down side to waiting to see when the price on the Vive is.

I'm curious to see how is AMA is going to go tonight. As late as October he was still saying the CV was going to be close to DK price. It could be a massive train wreck tonight.
As long as they aren't making a large profit off of it, people have no reason to be upset. They haven't been deceitful at all about the price.

Skanda

I'm Amod too!
It's not the price that seems to have people upset so much as the fact that Palmer has been claiming that the CV was close to the same price as the DK. If he had done a better job of managing expectations I don't think you would see all this disappointment around.

2013:If something?s even $600, it doesn?t matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is ? if they just can?t afford it, then it really might as well not exist.
2014:"We want to stay in that $200-$400 price range," he states.
Sep 2015:You know, I?m going to be perfectly honest with you. We?re roughly in that ballpark (of the DK2 price)? but it?s going to cost more than that.

So just four months ago he was still claiming to be close to the price of the two development kits. He has done a terrible job of managing expectations regarding the price. All along he's been building peoples expectations that the CV would be close to the 350 mark and then they nearly double that.

purGe

Molten Core Raider
Just pre-ordered, shipped June 2016. May end up canceling for a Vive when they release more info for it.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's not the price that seems to have people upset so much as the fact that Palmer has been claiming that the CV was close to the same price as the DK. If he had done a better job of managing expectations I don't think you would see all this disappointment around.

2013:If something's even $600, it doesn't matter how good it is, how great of an experience it is - if they just can't afford it, then it really might as well not exist.
2014:"We want to stay in that $200-$400 price range," he states.
Sep 2015:You know, I'm going to be perfectly honest with you. We're roughly in that ballpark (of the DK2 price). but it's going to cost more than that.

So just four months ago he was still claiming to be close to the price of the two development kits. He has done a terrible job of managing expectations regarding the price. All along he's been building peoples expectations that the CV would be close to the 350 mark and then they nearly double that.
Sure, I think people, including me, expected it to be close to the DK2 price as a result of Palmer's statements over the last couple years. I just think people are overreacting. The Rift and VIVE are the first versions of a new technology at the enthusiast tier. It's going to be expensive. And in this case that expense is warranted. I imagine Palmer et all looked at each of the options for what to put in the CV1 and kept siding with the more expensive ones and looked at that $350 drift further away.

The top answer of his AMA was an answer to this.
I am Palmer Luckey, founder of Oculus and designer of the Rift. AMA! : IAmA
Palmer_sl said:
I handled the messaging poorly. Earlier last year, we started officially messaging that the Rift+Recommended spec PC would cost roughly $1500. That was around the time we committed to the path of prioritizing quality over cost, trying to make the best VR headset possible with current technology. Many outlets picked the story up as "Rift will cost $1500!", which was honestly a good thing - the vast majority of consumers (and even gamers!) don't have a PC anywhere close to the rec. spec, and many people were confused enough to think the Rift was a standalone device. For that vast majority of people, $1500 is the all-in cost of owning Rift. The biggest portion of their cost is the PC, not the Rift itself.

For gamers that already have high end GPUs, the equation is obviously different. In a September interview, during the Oculus Connect developer conference, I made the infamous "roughly in that $350 ballpark, but it will cost more than that" quote. As an explanation, not an excuse: during that time, many outlets were repeating the "Rift is $1500!" line, and I was frustrated by how many people thought that was the price of the headset itself. My answer was ill-prepared, and mentally, I was contrasting $349 with $1500, not our internal estimate that hovered close to $599 - that is why I said it was in roughly the same ballpark. Later on, I tried to get across that the Rift would cost more than many expected, in the past two weeks particularly. There are a lot of reasons we did not do a better job of prepping people who already have high end GPUs, legal, financial, competitive, and otherwise, but to be perfectly honest, our biggest failing was assuming we had been clear enough about setting expectations. Another problem is that people looked at the much less advanced technology in DK2 for $350 and assumed the consumer Rift would cost a similar amount, an assumption that myself (and Oculus) did not do a good job of fixing. I apologize.

To be perfectly clear, we don't make money on the Rift. The Xbox controller costs us almost nothing to bundle, and people can easily resell it for profit. A lot of people wish we would sell a bundle without "useless extras" like high-end audio, a carrying case, the bundled games, etc, but those just don't significantly impact the cost. The core technology in the Rift is the main driver - two built-for-VR OLED displays with very high refresh rate and pixel density, a very precise tracking system, mechanical adjustment systems that must be lightweight, durable, and precise, and cutting-edge optics that are more complex to manufacture than many high end DSLR lenses. It is expensive, but for the $599 you spend, you get a lot more than spending $599 on pretty much any other consumer electronics devices - phones that cost $599 cost a fraction of that to make, same with mid-range TVs that cost $599. There are a lot of mainstream devices in that price-range, so as you have said, our failing was in communication, not just price.

iannis

Musty Nester
That pricetag (and thesupportinghardware requirement which will be increasing in subsequent generations) are pretty much going to lock this into a niche enthusiast market for a decade.

It costs more than an entire console, and it's just a neat little gadget for your PC. PC Master Race incoming IRL.

Its neat... but 600 (+1200 for the PC) bucks worth of neat? Seriously, he was right in 2013. It doesn't matter, it's outpriced the market for any kind of actual market share. They decided to go the luxury market route. Which might have been the right decision... but don't expect devs to be writing very many programs specifically for this experience unless they're bribed.

The problem he's gonna have, with his AMA, is that he's comparing apples and oranges. This isn't a mainstream electronics device but he's comparing it to those in price. If they're expecting wide adoption and a lot of sales I expect them to be dissapoint. Those 600 dollar phones and televisions come withinstallment plans. Easy to forget that if all you're doing is looking at a spread sheet or trying to justify the pricepoint to people who don't wanna think about it that much.

Shonuff

Mr. Poopybutthole
Its neat... but 600 (+1200 for the PC) bucks worth of neat?
After having only a Samsung VR, I love VR, but I was thinking the same thing last night. My wife and I seem to only be able to handle an hour a day tops of VR, before our eyes get tired. Luckey compares the price to other appliances, like TV's. Well guess what? I can watch TV for more than an hour and not have my eyes get tired.

With the total price on this, this has pretty much put itself in the market as "a toy for rich people." If you are dropping 3k on something you can use maybe an hour a day and don't need it to live, that is a luxury purchase.

I'm OK with that, let's just not think that this is VR for the masses. That would be google cardboard or the Samsung VR.