VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Utnayan

I Love Utnayan he’s awesome
<Gold Donor>
Ok never mind how the hell is ace combat 7 1080p on both pro and X. Wow.

spronk

FPS noob
AC: V
- The Ace Combat V version added as a pre order acts as somewhat of a remaster instead of just a PS2 Classic (17GB size as opposed to 3GB on PS2)
- HUD, wide screen videos etc are worked around instead of just straight emulation (seemingly)

AC: VII
- Game uses Unreal Engine 4
- All new models, textures created from scratch
- New additions like volumetric cloud cover adds not just visual eye candy, but used in game play as well.
- Weather can also impact flight performance
- Object density is increased but pop-in is visible at times.
- Game targets 60 FPS on all consoles

- Resolution: Base XBO is 720p (including HUD). Base PS4: 972p
- XBX - and PS4 both native 1080p
- Volumetric clouds appear slightly lower resolution on XBO than other platforms
- PC version supports 16 : 9 out of the box, no UW support built-in
- FXAA is the only AA option on PC version
- Most of the HUD elements on PC are rendered on 1080p despite raising native to 4K

- Huge disparity in performance on all 3 versions
- Sample mission tested: PS4 Pro and XBX are locked 60 FPS
- Base PS4 Hovers below 60 FPS showing slight juddering.
- XBO avg frame rate is lower than base PS4 by a large margin
- Sample mission 2: Pro holds is 60 FPS most of the time with mild judder
- Sample mission 2: XBX performs slower than Pro
- Base PS4 not tested but assumed should be similar to above results
- Base XBO worst performing version by a good margin.

- Using Sleep Mode can cause additional performance issues which can be fixed by restarting the system before playing.

- Verdict: PS4 Pro -> XBX -> Base PS4 -> Base XBO

Sounds like the PS4 version is the one to get and run it on a pro. PC version isn't out either until Jan 31st and not sure if it has VR

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
1080p on Xbox One X and PS Pro is laughably retarded. What the fuck.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
1080p on Xbox One X and PS Pro is laughably retarded. What the fuck.
They probably just wanted to ensure solid 60fps vs shitting it up at 30 or less. Fine with me. 30FPS makes my eyes bleed.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
They probably just wanted to ensure solid 60fps vs shitting it up at 30 or less. Fine with me. 30FPS makes my eyes bleed.

I suppose. I haven't played an Ace combat game in a long time. Havve they always been high frames?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
I suppose. I haven't played an Ace combat game in a long time. Havve they always been high frames?
Dunno I'm in the same boat. I know I played AC1 and 2 but after that I'm drawing a blank. And cant remember the first two at all other than that they were fun.

• 1Like

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
The previous gens did but the last few released stunk it up. Glad they targeted 60 fps here.

Just did the 1st VR mission and whhhhooooo boy. I should have been sitting. But after a few minutes it is bad ass mother fucking showtime. Chasing a mig and looking around the cockpit, sum glare (I almost reached up and tried to block it with my hand), condensation on the glass flying through a cloud. But man, you lose track of ground and altitude fast, lol. Going to try more tomorrow.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Utnayan

<Gold Donor>
The previous gens did but the last few released stunk it up. Glad they targeted 60 fps here.

Just did the 1st VR mission and whhhhooooo boy. I should have been sitting. But after a few minutes it is bad ass mother fucking showtime. Chasing a mig and looking around the cockpit, sum glare (I almost reached up and tried to block it with my hand), condensation on the glass flying through a cloud. But man, you lose track of ground and altitude fast, lol. Going to try more tomorrow.

Shit. :( Fuck it. Wife got a DVD player for a 1980 billy blanks work out disc for the bedroom. Time to strap in.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Nija

<Silver Donator>
Starblood Arena was on playstation plus awhile back. It's a 6 degree of freedom Descent-like game, where you do normal PVP game modes against each other. The setting is annoying, but the underlying systems are pretty good. Having a 6dof game where you can look around the cockpit to aim your cannons is pretty amazing.

The worst part about it is that it's barf city for me. There's no provisions in place to help with nausea. Check this out. Jump to 5:20 to skip the intro crap if it doesn't link you there.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
You guys pick up Bridge Crew and I'll do the same. I can play sat night and Sunday.

Also the fact that not all of Ace Combat is VR is making me steer clear of it.

• 1Like