VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
If I can figure out remote desktop, I definitely will.

Don't suppose I can use the VR Rifle thing from PS4 with this, can I?

They were smart and made all the weapons single handed due to how poorly two handed weapons work and feel in vr. You should feel right at home with the Rift controller.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Two handed weapons will work fine if they can get the tracking right. When the set can clearly see the two controllers things like rifles etc work amazing in The Walking Dead Saints and Sinners. But if it loses the off hand for even a split second it causes the gun to go wonky or your aim is fucked or clipping into the gun.

I was landing no scope long shots to walker heads every now and then and it is beyond satisfying. It just doesnt work 100% of the time.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Bandwagon Bandwagon Where you at dawg. Get your stuff?

So i currently have an OG rift. How big of a difference is the quest 2 in regards to halo effects etc..?

Last edited:

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Gross, PSVR 2 still wired.

Yeah, if they don't at least have an optional wireless transmitter for it or something it will be a disappointment.

Sales are so relatively low though, their approach is probably pretty measured.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I am thoroughly addicted to Audica by Harmonix... Makes me feel like I'm Christian Bale in Equilibrium.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I am thoroughly addicted to Audica by Harmonix... Makes me feel like I'm Christian Bale in Equilibrium.
Holy shit. I'm glad to see that Harmonix is still around. I still have Rockband 4 in the closet and bring it out every once in a while to play on the PS4. Beat Saber of course is kicking their ass but it's still really cool.

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Bandwagon Bandwagon Where you at dawg. Get your stuff?

So i currently have an OG rift. How big of a difference is the quest 2 in regards to halo effects etc..?
I was busy insulting everyone in my roll-o-dex and got pulled in to a podcast.

Edit: Looks like it didn't show up today. Shitfarts

Last edited:
  • 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Got the Quest 2 setup today. Thanks to Stave Stave for aiming me towards Beastsaber.com . I actually couldn't figure out how to get that shit working when going through their docs, but found a youtube video that walked me through it in 10 minutes.

Just got done playing beat saber for a little over an hour. The doobie brothers songs that I was excited to play definitely did not disappoint. Went through some Chevelle songs, Prince, etc and most of them were pretty damn well done. I didn't realize that it didn't have earbuds built in like the PSVR so I had to grab a pair of $9 headphones to use and those sounded pretty shitty. Can I use bluetooth headphones with this?

First impressions are mostly positive. Definitely looks better than the PSVR by quite a bit. I was hoping getting the focus right would be a little easier and more forgiving than the PSVR, but I don't think it is. Don't like the facebook stuff. Interface is nice. I had a lamp on my right side and nothing on the left and I was having tracking issues on about one out of every 20 swings.

Only real complaints:

I don't like these little limp dick controllers at all. These things are tiny and it doesn't feel like I can actually grip them so I feel like I'm holding a baby bird in my hand and trying not to crush it or something.

The guardian boundary is too sensitive with the warnings. I feel like I had a huge area set up and wasn't moving my feet and I was getting the warning flash non stop. Is that adjustable?

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I use the default audio on the Quest 2 and it seems perfectly fine to me... I do like that the controllers themselves make sound as well which helps augment the feeling of positional audio.

I actually hope we can get some high res curved LED screens within the next few years that will eliminaye the need for the crazy-powerful lenses associated with VR setups now. So much hinges on being able to get the alignment right and heaven forbid if you move enough that your headset shifts and fucks that up.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Sounds like they got rid of a lot of the hoops for wireless PC VR streaming.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Stave

Potato del Grande
Sounds like they got rid of a lot of the hoops for wireless PC VR streaming.

Yeah, theres never been a better time to get into PC VR, especially for $299. Thats what made me take the plunge. And you dont need to set up any lighthouses or anything so you can play it anywhere. Still sucks about the Facebook account but I made an account (didn't have Facebook before) and just made it completely private from public, and just joined some VR groups and like some posts every few weeks to make it seem active.

I was willing to do the sidequest thing before, for wireless streaming, but now you don't even need to do that. It's super easy to set up now. Now the only reason anyone would need sidequest is if you want to play the quest native version of Beat Saber and want custom songs. Or if you want to install some homebrew indie style games.

I was a bit skeptical at first about wireless streaming before so I bought a 3rd party usb c cable first. Once I tried out wireless, I was blown away by how fast it was. There is super minimal latency. I dont notice at all while gaming. I made the mistake of assuming my internet speed was a factor. Its It's not. It's just a local network connection. So any 5ghz router, as long as you are somewhat close to the router, should be pretty much flawless. Also, yes, Half Life Alyx is amazing, and plays great wirelessly.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Stave

Potato del Grande
How long do you guys think the Quest 2 will be around before the Quest 3 is released? Probably a while, since the thing is less than a year old and they are still making improvements like 120hz?
Well, Zuck did say they are working on the next model. A Quest 2 Pro version was just hinted at by the head guy at quest. I'd think at least nothing before holiday season this year. I think it will be hard for them to improve too much more though at the price range now until more technology comes out and comes down in price. This thing's already got higher resolution than the Index, and is going to get 120hz support soon. And as far as I know, Snapdragon doesn't have an XR3 chip announced yet, so it's probably more likely that instead of a Quest 3 right away, they will make a Quest 2 Pro with some QoL improvements but not necessarily performance improvements.

• 1Like

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Is there a written summary of this somewhere?
Basically you just need virtual desktop and none of side loading stuff/adb drivers for VD streaming. If you want to mod like, custom songs for beat saber you'll still end up needing to do that part. Sounds like early on Oculus denied VD the ability to stream VR games but just removed the restriction.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Yeah, if they don't at least have an optional wireless transmitter for it or something it will be a disappointment.

Sales are so relatively low though, their approach is probably pretty measured.
i fucking hang my psvr wire from my living room ceiling light (cuz it's chandelier ish), cuz i don't want to "trip or step on any wires

• 1Worf

Bandwagon

Kolohe
<Silver Donator>
Basically you just need virtual desktop and none of side loading stuff/adb drivers for VD streaming. If you want to mod like, custom songs for beat saber you'll still end up needing to do that part. Sounds like early on Oculus denied VD the ability to stream VR games but just removed the restriction.
Thanks.

So if I want to play Alyx, I just need to buy the $20 VD app on the Quest 2, and then buy Alyx on.......SteamVR?

• 1Like