VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Stave

Potato del Grande
Cashed in some "points" I can get at work for Amazon gift cards. Using them on the Quest 2. I'm curious how it works for games now in the VR universe. It wasn't that long ago I feel that every system had its own set of games. That's still the case, but most have "side loaders" now? Or every system just works with every other? Particular to the Quest 2 I know it has it's own Quest game store, but can still play Steam games? But can it only play Steam games via Virtual Desktop?
Quest 2 can play any game really except Playstation VR games.

You can play the native Quest Store games that you install onto the headset. If you want to play PC games, you get Virtual Dekstop or use a USB 3 cable, and play anything on the Oculus PC store, or anything in the Steam store. I haven't came across a game yet that isn't compatible.

The only real need for a sideloader is if you want native Quest games that aren't on the Quest Store. Or if you want to mod the native Quest version of Beat Saber.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Quest 2 can play any game really except Playstation VR games.

You can play the native Quest Store games that you install onto the headset. If you want to play PC games, you get Virtual Dekstop or use a USB 3 cable, and play anything on the Oculus PC store, or anything in the Steam store. I haven't came across a game yet that isn't compatible.

The only real need for a sideloader is if you want native Quest games that aren't on the Quest Store. Or if you want to mod the native Quest version of Beat Saber.
Very interesting. My last playtime in VR was with the PSVR and I didn't like it that much. The screens were not great resolution and just wasn't feeling it. Looking forward to testing out the much better Quest 2 headset.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Pasteton

Blackwing Lair Raider
Count me in as another one spoiled by alyx. My quest mostly collecting dust now as nothing is able to fill the hole that left.

Stave

Potato del Grande
Count me in as another one spoiled by alyx. My quest mostly collecting dust now as nothing is able to fill the hole that left.
I'm not through Alyx yet, but enjoying my way through it slowly. I have really enjoyed Asgard's Wrath so far (got it for free with my Quest 2 purchase apparently), The Walking Dead for the first 5 minutes I played so far, and had a blast in Super Hot, and Virtual Virtual Reality, although those games were short.

Have you tried any of the HLA custom content? I hear that there are some really good campaigns on there.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
Hi all I have yet to get into VR gaming however have been thinking of taking the leap, curious what are the good /bad things about VR today? Limitations? Etc ?

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Hi all I have yet to get into VR gaming however have been thinking of taking the leap, curious what are the good /bad things about VR today? Limitations? Etc ?
Depends on what you want to do with it as its really the software thats lacking the most. You have AAA efforts like Alyx, some SUPER fun basic games like Beat Saber, VR in Sims is great if thats your jam...but man..there are a tooooooooooon of duds out there from people just getting on the bandwagon to make a buck.

Edit: Also things like horror games like Phasmaphobia if you want to shit yourself.

Stave

Potato del Grande
I was in the same boat as you about a month ago. I saw that Quest 2 was only $299 so I decided to take the plunge. I bought it from Best Buy so if I didn't like it, I could return it. I find that I play it more than my PC now, which is pretty miraculous to get me away from gaming on my PC. And this is coming from a guy who hates playing on consoles. I still find myself cracking smiles when gaming on it. Like a kid who got his first Nintendo. I haven't had that feeling in over a decade.

Id say try it out and if you dont like it, just return it. Obviously the library is smaller but you have Quest games, Rift games, and Steam games. New titles are always coming out. It is definitely immersive and almost a leap forward in gaming when you are in the world. New games will keep coming out, especially with VR finally taking off. And with PC VR games you dont have to worry about upgrading your headset becauseas long as your PC is decent you could theoretically play on it for years until some major tech leaps come to headsets.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
so just get quest two with a anker 3.0 usb? How long is the charge or does the usb keep it going?

Stave

Potato del Grande
so just get quest two with a anker 3.0 usb? How long is the charge or does the usb keep it going?
I've done both the USB cable, and wireless with Virtual Desktop, and haven't touched my cable since. To answer your question, charge is 2-3 hours, and cable will keep it going up to 10 from what I've read. But wireless is amazingly good if you decide to go that route, and costs $20 for Virtual Desktop and it's super easy to set up, no sideloading or anything needed.

• 1Like

Tide27

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I wasn't sure I would like VR or not and haven't followed the tech closely at all, so I didn't have to experience the first generation or two of VR and it's limitations.

However, seeing as how I couldn't find a PS5 and was growing bored, just decided to get the Quest 2 on a whim. Figured I could just return it if I didn't like it and $ 300 wasn't a huge barrier of entry.

This is the first time in many generations of gaming that I have been blown away. It's not something that really translates into something you can watch a YouTube video of and get an actual feeling for what the experience is like.

As far as the good / bad / limitations to VR right now...its hard to say in my opinion.

It's true that there is a lot of shovelware out there, but there are just some experiences to be had out there that is just not possible outside of VR.

There are a ton of non VR apps out there too..like skydiving, scubadiving , flight etc...that makes you feel like you are in a 360 degree Imax theater. Most of the games I have played are the pick up and put down after an hour of so of gaming, like beat saber, superior, golf, vr fishing etx...and those are a blast. I did hook it up to my pc and had very lackluster results from.project cars 2.....but star wars squadron...OMFG! Outstanding experience!

After an hour or so my neck or head starts to get slightly irritated, so my sessions are nothing like a 4 to 8 hr session like on pc, but I'm happy with that.

I plan to check out No man's Sky, Subnautica , War Thunder, Asgard Wrath, Alyx etx as I grow my VR legs.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Stave

Potato del Grande

Kinda neat. I bet Doom3 does lend itself to VR pretty well since it was a slower pace horror game and not really... doom. I hope this isnt a PS VR exclusive though.
It's already out on Quest. You have to have sidequest and sideload it but it's been out for a while. It's free as well, just need the files from the PC game to copy over. It works really well from what I understand. You actually hold the weapon and stuff. I don't know if this PS VR one is just a port or if ID developed one themselves, but if you want to play it, it's available on Quest.

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 1 users

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
Half Life 1 in VR is great until you smash your hand into your desk trying to kill a headcrab.

• 1Worf

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Haha. I did that last night in Alyx trying to throw a grenade at one.
I tried to put one on my head and found I couldn't wear it as a hat =( I did run around with a construction hat on for awhile and forgot I was wearing it. Logged in next day and was wondering wtf the blue rim was at the top of my vision.

• 1Like