VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

Chimney

Trakanon Raider
Hitching your success on the minority cross section of "never touched a woman plus large disposable income". >_> Start running ads to the twitch simps.

The hardware will catch up with this unit, but what's the point with utter lack of consumer dev adoption even with the popularized home usage this decade and overall growth since the late 80s.

I'll visit outer space before I get notable vr gaming at this pace.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
I wonder how much the sales plummeted that they need to "separate the accounts":

Comes relatively soon after some hackers found how to run them without Facebook, so they might think it's not worth it anymore? It's also unclear what their intent was in the first place, advertisement placement/info gathering I guess but the target was such a small demographic I'm not sure it was worth the cost of the public backlash and stuff.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Comes relatively soon after some hackers found how to run them without Facebook, so they might think it's not worth it anymore? It's also unclear what their intent was in the first place, advertisement placement/info gathering I guess but the target was such a small demographic I'm not sure it was worth the cost of the public backlash and stuff.
I'm pretty sure the original strategy was simply to force everyone into the Facebook ecosystem. If you already have a Facebook account, why aren't you using it for the rest? "Everything you do, you do it via Facebook", that kind of things. Same thing as "use your Facebook account to log into any OpenID site, it's easy!".

And then, like me, they suddenly come out of nowhere and ask for a copy of your picture ID, and you can't use the account anymore until you bend over. Which is why they stopped selling Oculus in Germany - it's not just the precedent if this came to court, but based on the GDPR clauses, they were risking 4% of their worldwide income as a fine.

• 1Like

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Bleh wanted to do a little vrchatting, but it looks like they've completely abandoned earlier windows.

bastid.png

spronk

FPS noob
not bad $250 and a $50 amazon gift card, basically $100 off quest 2 VR i bought it just to fuck around xmas time with family

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
if anyone bought a new quest 2 thanks all the BF deals use this link before you set it up and you'll get $30 in store credit and so will i

only works if you've never had an OQ2 on your account, but works fine if you have a years old oculus account. mines an OG launch rift account (merged with facebook too) and it still worked, got $30 credit from a discord friends referral

• 1Like

spronk

FPS noob
been using my OQ2 now for a few days and enjoying it way more than Rift, such a difference not having ANY wires and a lighter headset makes. Vader Immortal is pretty neat, as is Youtube VR and Wander (google earths VR basically).

I don't really love the OQ2 enough to use it for more than 2-3 hours a week, and i'd still prefer to play everything on my OLED but it cost me $200 (-$30 oculus store credit) and thats a pretty damn good price point. Still $299 with $50 gift card in most places, I'd expect a similar deal again right after xmas to get people to spend their gift cards.

There is a cool mod I might fuck around with later, side loading Half Live VR mod into your oculus quest
www.reddit.com/r/Lambda1VR/comments/cjivzl/how_to_get_started_install_lambda1vr_the_halflife/

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Finally got my wife into Supernatural, it's my goto for working out on the Quest 2. Still need to get my Vive stuff together so I can dump it on FB for a song.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

spronk

FPS noob
i dunno which vive you have but if its the elite amazon will give you $318 for it

search for HTC in last box. i traded in my oculus rift last year for $275, far better than dealing with actual people

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
I gave up and installed win10 to get my rift and farm sim working. I spent maybe 2 or 3 hours in VR about 3 days ago and I'm still feeling ill. I didn't realize it until I got out but eyes were really messed up.

Experienced something new though. Was sitting on a couch with a friend and I could feel body heat. I actually pulled my helm up to see if something was next to me hot, like I had moved by the furnace, but there was nothing. That was super weird.

Droigan

Trakanon Raider
I spent maybe 2 or 3 hours in VR about 3 days ago and I'm still feeling ill. I didn't realize it until I got out but eyes were really messed up.

Experienced something new though. Was sitting on a couch with a friend and I could feel body heat. I actually pulled my helm up to see if something was next to me hot, like I had moved by the furnace, but there was nothing. That was super weird.

I got a PS4 VR for RE7. I get around 5 minutes in and I get immediate nausea, I can actually feel my body growing hot and sweaty and moving my head is like being on a spinning roller coaster where I "feel" like it is being pushed backwards, but it really isn't. I don't know if this is something that I can push through or not, but any sort of game that I would like to try in VR, I can't play. Did like Tetris though. Would like to try Alex, but not spending money on something that makes me ill like the PS4. I haven't used it for years.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Have you tried that motion sickness stuff? I looked for it at the pharmacy and grocery and couldn't find it, but I saw Nyanners was using it.

Kharzette

Watcher of Overs
Talked to a friend ingame and apparently it is in by the sleeping pills, called Dramamine.

I did 2 or 3 hours tonight and feel fair. One thing that unexpectedly nearly made me hurl is watching movies on a big screen. Certain scenes would 🤢

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
Talked to a friend ingame and apparently it is in by the sleeping pills, called Dramamine.

I did 2 or 3 hours tonight and feel fair. One thing that unexpectedly nearly made me hurl is watching movies on a big screen. Certain scenes would 🤢

Big open areas in games seemed to fuck me up the most, why I couldn't play Boneworks. That game was nothing but huge open areas.

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
For me its turning and looking while moving on a linear path. Its the very bane of VR and the reason movement controls are tailored toward teleport/point movement. You can only look around effectively while stationary.

So a game has to be very clever in the way enemy encounters and presentation is handled and work through the game with this in mind.

Big open spaces dont bother me. I played a lot of Skyrim VR looking into open sky at a dragon trying to shoot a bow.

But everyone is different. The look-movement problem is basically universal though. There really is no way to ",fix" it.

I guess you could just kind of do a psuedo qte type mechanic where the camera is controlled by the game during moments where you need to look while moving, allowing you to momentarily be seperated from that period of nausea inducing content.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Daezuel

Potato del Grande
You'll get used to it if you keep at it. RE7 was bad on me at first too. Best advice beyond a fan/ginger/dramamine is to stop as soon as you start to feel even a bit queasy and just pick it up another time, but keep at it.