VR Gaming - Oculus Rift, Playstation VR, HTC Vive

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just checking in after a long break, hoping to see some cool new stuff. Looks like there really hasn't been much outside of a few sales. Why does the future have to come so slow?

Also, seems PSVR became the platform of choice for now? Got that the sweet spot price entry. Kind of sucks for me because I skipped this console generation and don't see myself buying this late in the cycle. I'd much rather have a system I can connect to my gaming rig, since it's recently updated. Vive Pro is not an easy sell, and I avoid anything Facebook touches so I guess it's back to waiting.

Maybe we'll see some good news at E3 this year. I'm hoping Google/LG have a demo of whatever they're working on.

Don't own a console either and I share your distrust of Facebook so I went with the Vive. I'm not sure what the future will bring but I still think the Vive system design has the most potential. Some of the constraints of VR aren't solvable yet, for instance roomscale is fantastic but very few people actually have the space to really walk around and make it worthwhile. From a survey on reddit, most people have at most 8'x8' of space so you end up standing in one spot or risk banging your arms into a wall. Games need to be designed around that fact.

There's enough fun stuff out there now to keep you entertained for a while though. I already mentioned Google Earth VR, it's probably my most used VR title. Exploring around the world is far more engrossing in VR than on a regular display.

Another honorable mention is The Talos Principle VR. It's really good and one of the few VR ports that's both a proper, full length game and well adapted to the Vive interface. For immersiveness you really want to be able to use your hands and just grab something. A clunky, console like interface really detracts from the VR experience (looking at you Bethesda)

Serious Sam VR is fun too and works well if you can't handle moving (yet).

I'm not sure when the next gen Vive is coming out, might be worth waiting a few months to see if any news comes up (and possibly a price drop on the Vive Pro, they dropped the price on the regular Vive quite a bit once the Pro came out).

Janx

<Silver Donator>
PSVR came in, gotta say i'm really enjoying it even though the display is pretty low res. Moss, Astrobot, Beat Saber and Wipeout are tits. Did a little blood rush and could feel my body want to react to the roller coaster when it was climbing etc..

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Embarrassment time: So I actually got a PSVR 2.0 and ps4pro to run it on last year for Christmas but we have been waiting for our house to be redone after Harvey to unbox it because there isn't a great space for it here in the rent house. A year goes by, contractor after contractor drama drama drama and we are still here, waiting to move back home. My daughter says, Let's get this out. So I set it up, rearrange the room, and BOOM. Mind Blown. How has this been sitting there for a year?

I may have damaged my neck playing Eagle Flight, and while Skyrim VR was cool for a while, I don't know how much Dovakining I am going to do (my VR legs are questionable, 2 hours and I wasn'r feeling so great; Borderlands is probably out of the question, at least for a while).

Beat Saber though was absolutely amazing. I kept having to remind myself I wasn't actually in the Virtual nightclub factory space chopping things. I am mostly all in, particularly on the non-VR legs games. I have an Aim which should be here tonight, Bridge Crew, Superhot, Firewall, Moss, Astro Bot plus others either downloaded or in route.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Janx

<Silver Donator>
Anyone try hooking the PSVR up to their PC? Seems pretty painless to get it set up outside of needing like 3-4 programs to get everything set up. The positional stuff seems the most complex and it made me wonder if i could run PSVR with TrackIR for the positioning. May give it a try since it seems like it'd probably be under an hr to set it up. Be even better if my Kinect wasnt one of the newer ones that isnt usb ;(

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
  • 1Like

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Can you guys imagine a tie fighter remake in vr? :)
VR space combat sims are going to be sweet, but a key problem with VR space sim right now is that so much of the time is spent looking at objects super far from you, so the low angular resolution (Due to massive FOV) of VR headsets make everything look low-detail. I was really disappointed trying it out with my rift, but can't wait till we get higher definition VR.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
So here is my frustrating VR story. I bought a Vive about a year ago, installed a couple of games including Elite Dangerous, Subnautica and Everspace. I played the two space games a bit and then tried Subnautica. After about 30 mins in the game I broke out in a cold sweat and took off my headset and WHOOOO was I the worst nauseous for like 6 hours.

Didn't touch it again until I set it up this Xmas for my kid, who loved it and spent a ton of time playing it. I find I can barely spend 15 minutes looking at menus without getting at least mildly nauseous.

I have no history of motion sickness, planes or cars, spent a ton of time on fishing boats as a kid with no adverse affects. I love roller coasters but can't do the spinny stuff like the cup and saucer (nauseous!). I had this time when I was 15 and I went on the Gravitron ride like 5 times in a row because there was a drunk carny doing stunts and telling jokes and I haven't been able to do the spinny rides since.

I hate that VR doesn't seem to like me. I admit to getting old, but that can't be all of it. I am frustrated!

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I don't get carsick either but anything where the camera turns on its own makes me queesy too. The moving around I didn't like in the beginning but eventually got used to. Maybe stick to some things where you don't move around, explore some of the steam environments and get used to it again. Don't keep playing until you get sick, try to stop before and that will build tolerance.

Also, make sure the headset is on real snug, if it moves a little every time you move your head it can make things worse.

Talenvor

Lord Nagafen Raider
I had nausea at first too. Here is what helped:

only play for short periods of time maybe 20 minutes max. Start with games that don’t require a lot of movement. I would have a fan blowing on my face and I wore sea bands and chewed ginger gum. Eventually I was able to go for longer and longer periods of time. As soon as I would feel that cold sweat start breaking out or start feeling bad I would stop playing until the next day. Now I can play for more than an hour without any problems. I don’t use the fan anymore at all but I do still wear the sea bands and occasionally chew ginger gum if I feel like I’m going to be playing something more intense or for a longer period of time (like Skyrim).

Also any games that have comfort settings like blinders and click turning instead of smooth turning turn them all on until you get your VR legs. Eventually you’ll be able to play without those comfort settings at all and your body won’t reject the motion and make you feel sick.

Oh and any motion games play standing instead of sitting. I seemed to be bothered by the sensation of moving less when I was standing.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
Also, make sure the headset is on real snug, if it moves a little every time you move your head it can make things worse.
yea the psvr has that awesome super tightening head wrap, i've never done it, but that musta come out from Sony BDSM division or something, that strap is fucking awesome.

Armadon

<Bronze Donator>
Anyone try hooking the PSVR up to their PC? Seems pretty painless to get it set up outside of needing like 3-4 programs to get everything set up. The positional stuff seems the most complex and it made me wonder if i could run PSVR with TrackIR for the positioning. May give it a try since it seems like it'd probably be under an hr to set it up. Be even better if my Kinect wasnt one of the newer ones that isnt usb ;(

Yeah I tried it but I don't think it's worth it. Most games work but some didn't. The program was pretty hit and miss also. Sometimes it worked and other times it would take 20 minutes to get it running properly.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
Thanks, guys.

I did note that the tighter the fit, the better the ride. Wait, are we talking about VR?

That has already helped a bit.

Janx

<Silver Donator>
SO, PSVR pretty much sold me on VR as a platform so went ahead and got a Rift since every review I read raves about how much better the controls are (they're right). Got Lone Echo which is pretty crazy, beat saber (again so I can load custom songs), and your expected flight/space/driving sims (Elite, DCS, Project Cars II). Are there any games, especially RPGs I should be looking out for? I already have skyrim on PSVR so not too concerned about picking that up for the Rift.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
SO, PSVR pretty much sold me on VR as a platform so went ahead and got a Rift since every review I read raves about how much better the controls are (they're right). Got Lone Echo which is pretty crazy, beat saber (again so I can load custom songs), and your expected flight/space/driving sims (Elite, DCS, Project Cars II). Are there any games, especially RPGs I should be looking out for? I already have skyrim on PSVR so not too concerned about picking that up for the Rift.
Vive > Rift bruh! Lol

Naw, they are pretty similar at this point.

Metalhead

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yeah I'm looking for a good dungeon crawler or rpg for psvr too. If Sega would remake like Shining in the Darkness for VR that would be pretty great. So far my searching has only come up with a handful of games that all have pretty low steam ratings or early access games that seem to have been abandoned by their dev. A Mage's Tale comes out soon for psvr and is already on steam but seems kinda meh.