War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
No idea what you're referencing with feanor but I've noticed this a lot in your posting style too :p
Some prior disagreement. Hadn't crossed my mind but it did his. Maybe he's projecting cos he's still pissy I wrecked his vagina, I dunno.

You form questions in an idiotic way Lithose Lithose lol. I'm playfully razzin' ya, lad.

Regarding the ape movies after watching the trailer, there is something too allegorical about them. Although by the look of it they have done a good job fleshing out this backstory for what it's worth.

Voyce

Shit Lord Supreme
<Donor>
Both 1 and 2 were good, no idea why the fuck it matters if a movie has an ending where humans lose that you can't still be entertained by the premise, which is executed fairly well.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Some prior disagreement. Hadn't crossed my mind but it did his. Maybe he's projecting cos he's still pissy I wrecked his vagina, I dunno.

I don't even have to go looking for the prior disagreement to know that you, of all people, did not wreck Lithose.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
No idea what you're referencing with feanor but I've noticed this a lot in your posting style too :p

It's not about the posting style, which I do because I typically write for speaking engagements. So using pauses with the correct punctuation mark so I know what intonation to use for a specific type of pause is just a habit. However what I was dismissing was about him taking something innocuous and bringing it up to argue in a thread that's different from the one he's still obviously upset over. I honestly just feel bad for him, but in any case, I'm not going to shit a movie thread up with whatever he wants to do in it. I guess he's still trying to bait me, oh well.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
It's not about the posting style, which I do because I typically write for speaking, so using pauses with the correct punctuation mark so I know when to stop for a specific type of pause is just a habit. It's just about him taking something innocuous and bringing it up to argue in a thread that's different from the one he's still obviously upset over. I honestly just feel bad for him, but in any case, I'm not going to shit a movie thread up with whatever he wants to do in it. I guess he's still trying to bait me.
If there was ever a time for us to kiss and hug it's now. Under the stars and rainbows.

Oldbased

> Than U
I liked the first one. I bought the 2nd one and watched it half ass once. I guess I should try and watch it again, but for whatever reason at the time I just wasn't drawn in by it.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
How could I cheer for something that would destroy mankind?

The fall of man and the rise of apes is the foundation of entire franchise in it's original form. They just started the remakes off at a different chapter than the Heston movies. I do wonder if they'll ever carry this one through to circle back around to where those started though.

Cybsled

They mentioned that the little girl in the trailer = the mute girl Heston hooks up with in the films. However, if that is the case, then it would be hard to support the original Planet of the Apes film because you aren't that far removed from human civilization (whereas in that film it had been centuries and apes didn't believe that humans had ever been at that level).

Royal

However, if that is the case, then it would be hard to support the original Planet of the Apes film because you aren't that far removed from human civilization (whereas in that film it had been centuries and apes didn't believe that humans had ever been at that level).

The average ape didn't but some of the science and religious elites did. They just covered it up.

But yeah I know the little girl is supposed to be a young Nova, which is why I was wondering if they would take it back to the original's plot point.

Royal

All I'm saying that is that I'm cheering for the humans to win.

That's the odd beauty of the original movies when taken as a whole at least when I think back to the first time I watched all of them through.

You start out very much admiring and cheering on Taylor and, by extension, Cornelius and Zira. Then you walk that back a bit when Taylor blows up the entire planet.

Take the time warp and it's the two apes plus the two human doctors who become the home team you're rooting for against a select few human asshats.

Enter Ricardo Montalban with Caesar and in spite of the fact that the apes are clearly treated like shit you look back at the end and realize Taylor made the right play when he decided "fuck 'em all".

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Yeah the fourth of the originals was one of the darkest sci-fi movies of its time, which is why the fifth was made to end on a high note (with the John Houston red epilogue). I am a fan of the franchise in all of its forms (even the Burton one) and these movies do a pretty good job of encapsulating the general feel of the middle two movies of the original five. Its a matter of personal preference if you like those movies more or less than the Heston ones, but they were very cerebral. I happened to like story driven Sci-Fi, so the new ones have been right up my ally. You root for the apes because they are us as we wish we were, while the slowly collapsing human civilization is who we actually are. Its a classic juxtaposed perspective and one of the best social commentary techniques in sci-fi story telling.

But I completely get why some people are not as into it. Nihilistic post apocolyptia is not for everyone.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's the odd beauty of the original movies when taken as a whole at least when I think back to the first time I watched all of them through.

You start out very much admiring and cheering on Taylor and, by extension, Cornelius and Zira. Then you walk that back a bit when Taylor blows up the entire planet.

Take the time warp and it's the two apes plus the two human doctors who become the home team you're rooting for against a select few human asshats.

Enter Ricardo Montalban with Caesar and in spite of the fact that the apes are clearly treated like shit you look back at the end and realize Taylor made the right play when he decided "fuck 'em all".

I only saw the original with Charleston Heston and then the one they made recently with Dave Franco.

Now, I see a trailer for a movie about all out warfare between apes and humans and the humans are the bad guys. I get that they are saying, "Humans are the bad guys! We're destructive!" Well, yeah. We are but the idea of making a movie where we are the bad guys and are on the verge of dying off gives me a strange feeling.

You're supposed to cheer for the Hero in a story, and I can't cheer for a hero that wants to kill humanity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user