War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Cybsled

Yup. The same genetically engineered virus that made the apes smart also had the side effect wiping out like 99% of the human population.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
More like how do apes on horses using bow and arrows take down apache helicopters?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
The fall of man and the rise of apes is the foundation of entire franchise in it's original form. They just started the remakes off at a different chapter than the Heston movies. I do wonder if they'll ever carry this one through to circle back around to where those started though.

Yeah, but as you said before--in those movies the story was almost always written for you to cheer for the humans, except 2-3, which were not nearly as popular and even then it was a mix. The first movie was brilliant though because the entire time you were there saying "no you stupid monkey, mankind is more powerful than you can possibly imagine!" The entire film you reveled in the achievements of mankind and how these stupid apes couldn't even fathom how advanced humans were. Even Taylor himself talked down to them, and regularly seemed frustrated with how primitive they were. The final scene, with the little doll which could talk, or the paper airplane midway through the film while he's trying to explain how humans can fly and go into space, those things were meant to show that even our children's toys were more imaginative and advanced then all of Ape society. The entire film was "humans fuck yeah"--teasing how even a small group of humans with out technology, or even ONE man (Taylor) who knew our technology could overcome the apes.

Which is what made the ending so spectacular. The Movie spend 90 minutes jerking the audience off to humanities achievements, and how magical our technology is, and how advanced we are...then it shows we blew ourselves up with it. The very thing we believed made us better than them, is what destroyed us. But the whole first section of the film kept you strictly on the side of humanity, and was clever about keeping you proud of our advanced society and technology. Again, right up until that last moment, when the movie slapped you and forced you to think about what Doctor Zaius was saying, and the fact that Zaius KNEW the truth, and what he was saying wasn't the idiotic ramblings of an ignorant ape--but the very wise misgivings of someone that had seen what human power could do, and knew to survive he had to avoid it. The apes knew not to eat from the tree of knowledge because they knew what happened when we did. (Which is why Zaius always shit on the scientist apes.)

But long and short, that's why the original movie was brilliant--it never really asked you to sympathize outside of humanity. It, in fact, asked you implicitly to be proud of humanity and tell those damn dirty apes who was fucking boss.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
You're supposed to cheer for the Hero in a story, and I can't cheer for a hero that wants to kill humanity.
Depends on the fiction being told. Long as it's not preachy and didactic horseshit. Rooting against men/sympathy works when it is compelling.

Enter Ricardo Montalban with Caesar and in spite of the fact that the apes are clearly treated like shit you look back at the end and realize Taylor made the right play when he decided "fuck 'em all".
Mad max monkeys wind up just as gay and myopic as space humans.

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
So this is getting good reviews but for the life of me I could not give a fuck about this.

• 3Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Phazael

Confirmed Beta Shitlord, Fat Bastard
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Liked it a lot. It did not do the obvious, in most cases. Also, good nods to the originals all over the place. Its not an action movie, but a nihilistic post apoc movie.

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
this was boring. I was falling in and out of sleep after an hour, woke up and there was some kind of I am Spartacus moment going on. Was awake after that but relieved when it was over

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Perhaps a nice Michael Bay film might be more to your liking?

kegkilla

The Big Mod
<Banned>
this was boring. I was falling in and out of sleep after an hour, woke up and there was some kind of I am Spartacus moment going on. Was awake after that but relieved when it was over
I was thinking about seeing this tonight, but your Spiderman Homecoming review was pretty much spot on so I'll take your word here and pass on this monkey bullshit.

• 1Salty
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Ossoi

Tranny Chaser
Also

The trailer is pretty misleading, the movie is less of a war and is just Caesar+3 going off on an assassination mission The actual war is between two human factions, which is pretty silly considering how close they are to extinction.

Also, I don't remember the originals from when I watched them as a kid, didn't even know these were prequels.

The virus mutating to render humans to intelligence level of beasts I guess sets up the originals

• 1Picard
Reactions: 1 user

Paranoia

Trakanon Raider
damn dirty apes!

so the comedy in this movie is spot on.

over all 8 out of 10. Really enjoyed this.

Phazael

<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Also

The trailer is pretty misleading, the movie is less of a war and is just Caesar+3 going off on an assassination mission The actual war is between two human factions, which is pretty silly considering how close they are to extinction.

Also, I don't remember the originals from when I watched them as a kid, didn't even know these were prequels.

The virus mutating to render humans to intelligence level of beasts I guess sets up the originals

Yeah its actually a loose remake of theach original fourth film in many ways, which was really dark for the time. As I said, not an action movie. As for the humans fighting each other, that's pretty much a given, end of civilian or not. Just ask Katrina survivors. And it's a staple of nearly every end of the world story in the history of science fiction.