War for the Planet of the Apes (2017)

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Surprised to see people dumping on Dawn. It was a pretty damn solid flick

Just seems like bandwagoning to me. Wouldn't be surprised if some of them haven't even seen it. They've both been critically and commercially successful, so I don't get where the hate comes from. I like the series a lot so far.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

LiquidDeath

Magnus Deadlift the Fucktiger
Really? The hate for this franchise seems misplaced.

Both were fun movies and the CGI was top notch. I'm excited to see them wrap it up.

• 2Like

spronk

FPS noob
i want humans to win, not apes, so its really hard to get that excited by any of these movies. the old ones were great because the acting and costumes were so terrible they went into awesome parody, the new ones are really well done but ultimately nihilistic and just make ya feel "welp... sucks if that ever happens"

Szlia

In the realm of "let's take an old IP and put a fresh coat of paint on it", these prequels are among the best there are. The fact they are well shot, well written and well acted big productions with 0% of camp and not a joke in sight certainly does not hurt. It's not at Villeneuve's level of "serious time is all the time", but they had the good sense to realize that if you are going to make a trilogy about the fall of human civilization, it better be somber in tone.

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
In the realm of "let's take an old IP and put a fresh coat of paint on it", these prequels are among the best there are. The fact they are well shot, well written and well acted big productions with 0% of camp and not a joke in sight certainly does not hurt. It's not at Villeneuve's level of "serious time is all the time", but they had the good sense to realize that if you are going to make a trilogy about the fall of human civilization, it better be somber in tone.

Yep, that's the aspect that frustrates me while watching it. They are really well done, and I think they are good films. I just can't get into the story. Outside of Cesar? I just don't empathize with any of them, I consistently want the humans to win. It's especially difficult because even the 'bad humans' (Except the dude who played Malfoy) are generally pretty sympathetic.

cyrusreij

Trakanon Raider
Guess I just love me some nihilism then. Humanity needs to be destroyed for our collective sins and what better way than a bunch of Sci-Fi monkeys to do it?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Yep, that's the aspect that frustrates me while watching it. They are really well done, and I think they are good films. I just can't get into the story. Outside of Cesar? I just don't empathize with any of them, I consistently want the humans to win. It's especially difficult because even the 'bad humans' (Except the dude who played Malfoy) are generally pretty sympathetic.

I can understand that point of view. They've said in the next one, Woody Harrelson's character is also not evil, he's just trying to help humanity survive. Koba has probably been the most evil of all so far.

I wonder if, after they cover the apes taking over the world, they also cover humanity rising back up.

Sevens

Log Wizard
I can understand that point of view. They've said in the next one, Woody Harrelson's character is also not evil, he's just trying to help humanity survive. Koba has probably been the most evil of all so far.

I wonder if, after they cover the apes taking over the world, they also cover humanity rising back up.
I find it so reflective of real life...Misunderstandings or long held grudges are the basis for a lot (most of) the conflicts we have in the world today. People are not inherently good or evil.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures

Depends on how closely they want to parallel the originals. The humans never bounced back in those. They just hung out in church with melted faces until a real man showed up and said fuck this, if we can't have it neither can you.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
I'm wondering when Lithose Lithose started making questions? In the middle of his posts (Or maybe it's just me). But that shit is really fucking irritating.

Hold on. For it to be a real Lithose post? I need a few typpos. Ones that seem right? With commas, and shit.

• 1Like

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
These movies are frustrating. Well put together but how the stories play out are incredibly dumb. A human wave attack against a fortified position defended with mk19s, .50cals, m240s, landmines etc. would fail, BADLY. Now theyre going to go up against apache gunships, armored vehicles and win? Just pants on head retarded.

• 1Like

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
I'm wondering when Lithose Lithose started making questions? In the middle of his posts (Or maybe it's just me). But that shit is really fucking irritating.

Hold on. For it to be a real Lithose post? I need a few typpos. Ones that seem right? With commas, and shit.

Man, that's kind of sad. I had no idea you were still so upset. It's been what, like a few weeks right? I couldn't imagine thinking about you that long then seeing one of your posts and getting angry. Let it go, man. Or at least don't shit up another thread with it.

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
These movies are frustrating. Well put together but how the stories play out are incredibly dumb. A human wave attack against a fortified position defended with mk19s, .50cals, m240s, landmines etc. would fail, BADLY. Now theyre going to go up against apache gunships, armored vehicles and win? Just pants on head retarded.
Watched the first one and was not interested in the second. Is this the third or fourth?

Third one. Don't give a shit about apes on horseback with machine guns.

Brikker

Trump's Staff
Man, that's kind of sad. I had no idea you were still so upset. It's been what, like a few weeks right? I couldn't imagine thinking about you that long then seeing one of your posts and getting angry. Let it go, man. Or at least don't shit up another thread with it.

No idea what you're referencing with feanor but I've noticed this a lot in your posting style too :p

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
Is this the 3rd one, or a 4th? I saw the first in theaters, then never bothered with #2. Not sure if there was a 3rd, or if this is it.

Should I watch #2 and/or #3 if it exists already?

spronk

FPS noob
this is the third one. first one showed how monkeys evolved, the second one was basically just X years later showing the world kinda sucks and monkeys just doing their monkey thing, and now i guess this third one shows humanity being exterminated and monkeys taking their place as God's chosen servants, cuz you fucking know Woody Harrelson ain't saving shit

they are interesting to watch in the moment and they are well done but they lack any real enduring quality, you literally forget what you saw an hour later like a transformer movie. I remember James Franco from the first one and I remember there was a forest in the second one.

• 2Like