War with Syria

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Hi Tuco

nyi9ql1.jpg

before we argue semantics, CNN is characterizing this as a support for military action, not just supporting his call for a vote on military action.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Speaker Boehner isn't a party leader!

Let's see how things play out with the vote, because I remember your bet stipulating that party leaders will vocalize their support for it after it fails to pass through Congress.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I'm still going with the theory that the vote will narrowly fail with all the congress people who need to be seen as war hawks as voting yay.

To me there's a huge difference between a party leader saying "We need to support this motion" and "Fuck me who cares what we say, do it anyway Mr. President!".

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I will avatar bet or whatever you want that the following happens:
1. The Senate approves the strike.
2. The House does not approve the strike.
3. The majority and minority leaders of the House publicly, via press release or whatever, say they are fine with Obama striking.
4. Obama strikes before December 31, 2013. (inTrade up in this mother fucker)
Big question here is whether this is in chronological order. Because 3 happening before or after 1 and 2 is very different.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
We can argue about it after the vote happens. My perception was that it was chronological but I can understand why you would think it was not.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
BBC News - Syria crisis: Obama sets out 'limited' US military strike

President Barack Obama has said any US military strike on Syria would be "limited and proportional" and that he was confident Congress would back him.

Mr Obama was meeting key committee leaders to press for a military response to what the US believes was a chemical weapons attack by Syria.

French President Francois Hollande called for a united European response, but will wait for the Congress vote...

..President Obama and Vice-President Joe Biden met House Speaker John Boehner, House Democratic Leaders Nancy Pelosi and the chairmen and ranking members from the national security committees in Washington on Tuesday.

Mr Boehner signalled his support for Mr Obama's call for action, saying that only the US had the capacity to stop President Assad. Mr Boehner urged his colleagues in Congress to follow suit.

Ms Pelosi said she did not believe Congress would reject a resolution calling for force.

Mr Obama said that Mr Assad had to be held accountable for the chemical attack and that he was confident Congress would back him.

..Secretary of State John Kerry, Defence Secretary Chuck Hagel and the top US military officer, Gen Martin Dempsey, are to appear later on Tuesday before the Senate Committee on Foreign Relations.

There will also be a classified briefing for all members of Congress.

A vote in Congress is expected next week.

Two of Mr Obama's fiercest foreign policy critics, Republican Senators John McCain and Lindsey Graham, have already backed his stance.
Obama's push for the support seems to be gathering momentum

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
There's a long time between now and the vote. We'll see how the pieces fall. It's all in the hands of the MSM for the next few days.

Pancreas

Vyemm Raider
This just needs to be quoted for posterity. I can only imagine how all the US military servicemen and women must be feeling knowing that their political leaders are doing their best to make the US Air Force and Navy a wing of Al-Qaeda. I wonder how the rumoured US Special Forces troops who are actually inside Syria at the moment are enjoying fighting alongside their Al-Qaeda brothers in arms?
My enemy's ally, who is the enemy of my ally's ally, who is my enemy, is my friend... or something like that.

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
fool me once, shame on you, fool me again.. well you can't fool me again.
Come on;

Stalin during WW2
Diem during Vietnam
Saudis since their inception
Shah of Iran
Panama

Probably 2 or 3 I left out but thats just off the top of my head.

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Big question here is whether this is in chronological order. Because 3 happening before or after 1 and 2 is very different.
Don't be a weasel. That was never implied by the bet.

But don't worry you'll end up winning because of #2. The House will vote for it - Loyalist Dems + Hawk Republicans are more numerous than True lib Dems + Libertarian Republicans.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Don't be a weasel. That was never implied by the bet.

But don't worry you'll end up winning because of #2. The House will vote for it - Loyalist Dems + Hawk Republicans are more numerous than True lib Dems + Libertarian Republicans.
We'll see. If the vote fails and Pelosi/Boehner/Reid/McConnel/Cantor drastically change their opinion I think you'll have evidence of why I assumed it was chronological.

But it's an argument I only want to have after the vote takes place.