War with Syria

Dis

Confirmed Male
May have already been posted:

Kerry stated he did not want Congress to take away the options of "boots on the ground" for the Syrian conflict...

He basically slipped up in explaining it, then reexplained it in a very broad term that basically meant, we want to have the option of occupying Syria.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I know the Senate is writing its own bill. I imagine that the House will do the same. I'm guessing both will set limitations but who knows how far they'll go. All the bullshit about deadlines for withdrawal in Iraq/Afghanistan had some truth to it, if you tell an enemy what you won't do and how much you'll do you'll hurt your chance for success. Frankly I don't want to get involved in any war we aren't planning on going balls to the wall to win.

I don't know what process there is for concurrence with this type of approval bill? I don't know if this is real legislation or just congressional hot air.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Frankly I don't want to get involved in any war we aren't planning on going balls to the wall to win.
It is worse than that. Not only aren't we going to go balls out, but we are starting under the guarantee about not going out to win. Whenever I hear them say "We aren't going for regime change", that is basically saying "We are going to do everything up to trying to win".

It is fucking maddening that Kerry and Obama, two people who attacked the Iraq and Afghanistan wars more than anyone on pretty much the planet, have the gall to push for this war given that we have less justification for going than either of those and less upside.

Badabidi_sl

shitlord
How about the UAE deals with them and we stay the fuck out of it. At least Parliament stuck it to Cameron, our Congress will probably go along with this horse shit because they're stooges for lobbyists.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Idealistic/Naive point but it's fucked that the information which supposedly indisputably links the state to the attacks is.. only.. available.. to congress?

Why can't i have an as-educated opinion?
Because you don't want Syria to know everything. If we have a recorded phone call because of a bug where the chemical attacks were ordered and then let the whole world know you have that phone call, you lose that source of intelligence. It's just one example but just about any information that we would release could be back tracked to the source putting assets at risk.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Because you don't want Syria to know everything. If we have a recorded phone call because of a bug where the chemical attacks were ordered and then let the whole world know you have that phone call, you lose that source of intelligence. It's just one example but just about any information that we would release could be back tracked to the source putting assets at risk.
That's definitely true, but that fact doesn't help me trust the Pres. Obama or Congress. I can only believe real proof at this point.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
That's definitely true, but that fact doesn't help me trust the Pres. Obama or Congress. I can only believe real proof at this point.
I agree. I'm just explaining why they couldn't release certain types of evidence. The phone call was an extreme and probably bad example.

Basically our enemies have allied with our enemies and are attacking our enemies while our enemies are killing our enemies. Cause Religion.

iannis

Musty Nester
If only congressmen are allowed to see the reason for the war then the solution is simple. Give those congressmen guns and parachutes and have them be the only ones allowed to prosecute their police action.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
If only congressmen are allowed to see the reason for the war then the solution is simple. Give those congressmen guns and parachutes and have them be the only ones allowed to prosecute their police action.
Or we could just stop catering to big oil and fucking actually put all that money we put into wars into getting away from oil. Then we could treat the Middle East like Africa, like it doesn't exist.

iannis

Musty Nester
So to recap: Obama, after looking at the focus group reports, has a stroke and decides to treat military intervention as more than his personal responsibility -- he kicks it to Congress. Two days later while Congress is debating the issue and the public is distracted by his sudden and welcome (yet inexplicable) attack of sanity -- he decides to go ahead and do what he was going to do in the first place. But it'sespeciallycocked up because at this point the target of reprisals has had a full week to prepare for them.

Even Cheney was better than this.

W4RH34D_sl

shitlord
So to recap: Obama, after looking at the focus group reports, has a stroke and decides to treat military intervention as more than his personal responsibility -- he kicks it to Congress. Two days later while Congress is debating the issue and the public is distracted by his sudden and welcome (yet inexplicable) attack of sanity -- he decides to go ahead and do what he was going to do in the first place. But it'sespeciallycocked up because at this point the target of reprisals has had a full week to prepare for them.

Even Cheney was better than this.
Why bother with a charade when no one's impeached him for several impeachable offenses? Dude feels invincible.

Quaid

Trump's Staff
Or we could just stop catering to big oil and fucking actually put all that money we put into wars into getting away from oil. Then we could treat the Middle East like Africa, like it doesn't exist.
Lol I actually said this in a conversation at the bar today

tad10

Elisha Dushku
Syria is less about big oil then big deficits. If we're at war with Syria Republican's can't continue the sequester and/or hold the debt ceiling limits over Obama's head.

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The Senate rewrite gives Obama 60 days to carry out the campaign plus an additional 30 if he chooses.

also no boots allowed