War with Syria

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
bro he conceded days ago and I gave him the obama peace prize avatar of his dreams

TrollfaceDeux

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Bronze Donator>
I really don't think it is. It was so easy for everyone to support the Iraq war because there was little investment beyond the cost of the magnetic yellow ribbon bumper sticker. Most of America didn't have to makeanysacrifice. But it was easy to ignore the glaring holes in the "evidence", to call into question people's patriotism for questioning the war, etc. Only to years later flip the switch as if that undoes the damage. Hundreds of thousands of people are dead, a country wrecked, the debt exploded, I mean what the fuck.

If it was me, I would do something like we have talked about before here. Mandatory civil/military service upon graduation of high school with some sort of gi bill to put people through college/vocational school after if they chose to leave service. I don't know how else you invest people in the decisions of this country without making them party to the actions as well.
Yes.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
All day CNN has been saying the momentum is Congress is going against the vote. So I guess we'll see if Obama is going to do it anyway. If he does I hope they impeach his ass. I can't remember the last time I was this disappointed in a politician.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
So I guess we'll see if Obama is going to do it anyway.
110612_aehq_obamawins_640.jpg

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Ron Paul is right a lot, but its like the cassandra effect or w/e thats called. The more he is right the less people listen to him.
It's not what you say, but how you say it.

Ron Paul is the Avatar of that concept. Someone load some epic weapons on him and stick him in EQ2.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
He isn't right a lot, he is right sometimes and wrong quite a lot, and then says some crazy shit that will never be verified one way or another because it is so crazy. It disturbs me that our politicians are so bad that men of reason are left no other place to turn than the Paul family.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
If it was me, I would do something like we have talked about before here. Mandatory civil/military service upon graduation of high school with some sort of gi bill to put people through college/vocational school after if they chose to leave service. I don't know how else you invest people in the decisions of this country without making them party to the actions as well.
If the rich and powerful would be the ones creating the wars and the rich and powerful would still be able to abstain from participating, what would this fix? You'd have an anti-war population forced to fight for the rich and powerful against their will. The will of the people doesn't matter, and the little bit that does matter is easily manipulated and shaped to whatever the rich and powerful choose. But what else is new?

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
If the rich and powerful would be the ones creating the wars and the rich and powerful would still be able to abstain from participating, what would this fix? You'd have an anti-war population forced to fight for the rich and powerful against their will. The will of the people doesn't matter, and the little bit that does matter is easily manipulated and shaped to whatever the rich and powerful choose. But what else is new?
That's why I said "mandatory". It's a pipe dream anyway so while we're dreaming, why not?

Silence_sl

shitlord
He isn't right a lot, he is right sometimes and wrong quite a lot, and then says some crazy shit that will never be verified one way or another because it is so crazy. It disturbs me that our politicians are so bad that men of reason are left no other place to turn than the Paul family.
LMAO. I'm crying from laughing so hard. Actually, I'm crying from laughter and the truth of your statement.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah, I wasn't going to be a dick. After all my party nominated Sarah Palin...soooo...kinda hard to be an asshole on this one.

I hate Ron Paul, but I'd take him in a hearbeat over that cunt. Even Democrats aren't stupid enough to offer Paul anything.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
bro he conceded days ago and I gave him the obama peace prize avatar of his dreams
I refuse to accept his concession, and I view wagers made on the forums to include the forum members at large as passive participants. Thus, I feel that I have been cheated and I demand satisfaction [insert General Antony post here].

Tuco, Master of the Campaign Promise strikes again.

Tuco_sl said:
So, if someone makes a promise and breaks it they should be held accountable. Either they didn't push hard enough to fulfill their promise or they shouldn't have made the promise in the first place.

edit: Note that I don't really care that much about promises he made that aren't reasonable for him to fulfill. But let's be honest here and call a duck a duck. There's no sense in mincing words to say he didn't break a promise.
Tuco_sl said:
I will be banning anyone above 50% next Wednesday. I'm betting that by then nobody will be over 50%. Whether Tyen steps up and makes a tech forum is up to him, but don't expect it.

Dis

Confirmed Male
He is wrong a lot, about what exactly? Not saying you are wrong, but I would like some more detailed explanation than a basic "no u" reply...

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
It wasn't always like that a long time ago the only people who where obligated to fight used to be the land owners, and military service used to be the way to become famous. blame Hollywood celebrities I guess, now you can become famous without contributing much of anything to society.

Published: March 22, 2003

A NATION AT WAR: CHILDREN OF LAWMAKERS; Senators' Sons in War: An Army of One

Critics of the war say armed conflict might be less likely if the politicians who made the decisions to commit troops put their own sons and daughters at risk, an argument put forth by Representative Charles B. Rangel, Democrat of Manhattan, when he introduced legislation to revive the draft.

Some scholars say war itself might be waged differently if the children of the elite were involved.

''When you have the leadership of the country not having its children in the ranks, I think that sends a subliminal message to society that these wars cannot take casualties,'' said Charles C. Moskos, a professor of sociology at Northwestern University who specializes in the military.

Professor Moskos noted the difference between today and decades past was that ''all of the Kennedy brothers served, none of the Kennedy cousins served.''

Mark Shields, the television commentator,surveyed all 535 members of Congress in the fall. He found that Senator Johnson was the only one who had a son or daughter who had enlisted in the military.

''It's unthinkable,'' said Mr. Shields, adding that the draft had prompted him to enlist in the Marines as a young man. ''Those in power are totally divorced from those at peril.''