War with Syria

khalid

Unelected Mod
He risked a full-on shitstorm going into Pakistan and basically ordering an assassination.
I don't see any parallel with the current situation whatsoever. Going after OBL has nothing to do with this Syrian war in either details or risks.

Also, the idea that Obama was taking some sort of risk and he made some heroic hard call to take out OBL like we did is just silly to me. His only other plausible route would have been some sort of drone or airstrike to take out OBL, with the very huge downside of then there being no way to prove that we killed him. Not informing Pakistan was a complete no-brainer because of how in bed some elements of Pakistan are with the taliban.

Now yes, bad things could have happened if it had failed or shit had gone south. However, having it known that they had intel on OBL and did nothing was a far greater political risk to Obama than a single seal team of 6 people (jk, wru Merlin) wiped out.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
DO TELL

edit: forgot about google

57eqrsm.png

zEKE37m.png
Well son of a bitch. I was okay with a Canadian having the record since he probably grew up hunting wolves with his grandfather in the Yukon like the guy from Enemy at the Gates, but having some tea drinking English pansy with the record is just not right.

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think the first thing we need to be doing as a country is stop drawing lines that will later remove options should they be crossed.

I would also like to kill and/or displace less brown people.
Well, was there good reason for the line in the first place? If you live in Israel you might think so. The problem, ostensibly...beyond the geopolitical and resource issues that complicate everything in the region, is that proliferation of chemical warfare would be unconscionable and lead to unacceptable levels of instability. You know, unlike the acceptable and perhaps encouraged levels of instability we have grown accustomed to. So if Syria gets away with this, does it open up other nations and/or the terror regimes they support to start gassing other factions?

I thought that part of why the chemical weapons were such a big deal was also the threat to the western world. If we allow this to proliferate because its "not our problem", how long before a real subway strike or worse occurs in the US or EU? On the other hand if we strike, are we opening ourselves back up again more than ever to terrorist retaliations?

These sure are interesting times.

Grayson Carlyle

Golden Squire
I think Americans are taking this very personally. 49% (from the previously quoted article) areagainstan intervention. On the other side, 79% of Canadianssupportan intervention, and also a majority of the U.K. But, and this is the big but, they support aUN intervention. Almost every American on this board seems to think this is all about them and takes every comment for intervention to mean that person is supporting war with Syria, or removing Asaad. Whereas every Canadian and U.K. citizen in favour of intervention is in favour of exactly that, intervention. Also everyone responding to Eomer has replied against things he didn't state at all. It's like Americans have a completely different meaning for intervention than the rest of the world. We're not talking Iraq here. Everyone except the US was initially against Iraq, now it's the opposite. The only thing Eomer, and the Canadian population in general is in support of, is to stop indiscriminately killing thousands of civilians with gas. However, like Eomer, I don't really have any idea how that should be done. Regarldless, you guys need to stop putting words into his mouth.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
I don't think this is realistic, without more technology discoveries burning things still remains much cheaper in the near future and readily available.
I think it's extremely realistic. Take a look at what other countries have done, what we have done, them couple that with our or allies oil reserves and the Middle East dwindles in importance fast. We only need them in the short term. Look at what hydro power has done, and how many countries power 80% of their energy needs with it. Toss in the slower advances in solar and geo (some of the new solar tech is promising as heck for us in the states), and the advances in hydrogen tech, specifically getting it cheaply from sea water, and you'll realize what the oil companies have...we ARE on the verge of an energy shift. The shirt term is the the only thing we need ME for, which is why oil companies and trying to get more now while hedging their r&d and long term investments in renewable...they realize that they will need to stop being oil companies and become energy companies. When I get home ill pull up some citations

But again, look at overall trends and you'll see.

Back to the point, fuck the ME. Those fanatics wanna kill each other, we should let them. Our interests there are dwindling. Isn't that what y'all elected Obama to do, after all?

khalid

Unelected Mod
I think Americans are taking this very personally. 49% (from the previously quoted article) areagainstan intervention. On the other side, 79% of Canadianssupportan intervention, and also a majority of the U.K. But, and this is the big but, they support aUN intervention.
The reason Americans take it personally is a UN intervention in this case means a US intervention. How much projection of power does Canada have? How much projection of power does the U.K. have? Pretty much zero compared to the US.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Iran is bluffing BTW. They couldn't beat Israel in a straight up war, let alone with the US backing them, and if they did start to get the upper hand, Israel would probably just nuke them. Obama might be saber rattling, but Iran definitely is.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Gwynne Dyer: An appalling attack and an unwinnable war

After that, however, we run out of facts. The rebels claim that the Baathist regime was responsible, while the Syrian government says that the rebels did it themselves in the hope of triggering foreign military intervention. Sending United Nations inspectors will not settle that argument:if nerve gas was actually used, it must have come from government stocks, but that doesn't mean that the regime did it.

Everybody knows that the Syrian military have stocks of poison gas, but what's happening in Syria is a civil war. The rebels have not overrun any of the known storage sites for Syrian chemical weapons,but they could have secret supporters inside those sites who smuggled some out to them.

If you apply the old test of "who benefits?", the rebels, who are currently losing ground, have a strong incentive to get the Assad regime blamed for using illegal weapons. If that gets the United States and other Western powers to impose a no-fly zone, or bomb the regime's military bases, it helps the rebel cause. So maybe they acted to provide the necessary "evidence": some of them are certainly ruthless enough.

It's easier to imagine the regime using chemical weapons: it's just as ruthless, and it actually owns them. But it is manifestly not to its advantage to do so. President Bashar Assad's troops are winning the war without them, and the last thing he needs is foreign military intervention. Using chemical weapons could lead to just such an outcome, and it would be exceptionally stupid for the regime to do so.
-----

The Intercepted Phone Calls that Convinced Obama that Syria Used Nerve Gas

Last Wednesday, in the hours after a horrific chemical attack east of Damascus, an official at the Syrian Ministry of Defense exchanged panicked phone calls with a leader of a chemical weapons unit, demanding answers for a nerve agent strike that killed more than 1,000 people. Those conversations were overheard by U.S. intelligence services, The Cable has learned. And that is the major reason why American officials now say they're certain that the attacks were the work of the Bashar
al-Assad regime - and why the U.S. military is likely to attack that regime in a matter of days.

But the intercept raises questions about culpability for the chemical massacre, even as it answers others: Was the attack on Aug. 21 the work of a Syrian officer overstepping his bounds? Or was the strike explicitly directed by senior members of the Assad regime? "It's unclear where control lies," one U.S. intelligence official told The Cable. "Is there just some sort of general blessing to use these things? Or are there explicit orders for each attack?"

Famm

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The reason Americans take it personally is a UN intervention in this case means a US intervention. How much projection of power does Canada have? How much projection of power does the U.K. have? Pretty much zero compared to the US.
The UK has quite a bit, they would be our main ally again and they are understandably as reticent as we are.

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
Kucinich: Striking Syria Will Make U.S. Military 'Al-Qaeda's Air Force'

Former congressman Dennis Kucinich (D., Ohio) said today that striking Syria would turn the United States military into "al-Qaeda's air force."

Kucinich, who voted against the Iraq War and campaigned for the Democratic nomination for president in 2004 and 2008, lambasted the idea that Obama could act without congressional authorization, which he said would be a violation of the Constitution. He also warned that intervening in Syria would entangle the United States in another war in the Middle East and encourage Islamists who are fighting the forces of Syrian president Bashar Assad.

"So what, we're about to become al-Qaeda's air force now?" Kucinich sarcastically asked The Hill.

He went on to warn against attempting to "minimize" an intervention by terming it a "targeted strike." Such a strike, he said, would still constitute an act of war.

Kucinich also blasted the Obama administration for "rushing" into what he said could become a third world war, and he cast doubt on reports by rebels of governmental forces using chemical weapons. He declared that the use of chemical weapons in Syria was a "pretext."

"The verdict is in before the facts have been gathered," Kucinich said. "What does that tell you?"

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
Well son of a bitch. I was okay with a Canadian having the record since he probably grew up hunting wolves with his grandfather in the Yukon like the guy from Enemy at the Gates, but having some tea drinking English pansy with the record is just not right.
look at those dreamy eyes

craig-harrison-pic-simeon-francis-sunday-star-297897201-218590.jpg

Dunhill

N00b
Terrorists a few months ago are now called freedom fighters. Al Qaeda and other islamic terrorists and mass-murderers are portrayed as rebels fighting for good by western media. While France incite wars against Syria and more support to al Qaeda French soldiers are at war with al Qaeda groups in Mali. Instead of nazi Germany ruling the world we now have an even worse world leader, lunatic US. Maybe Julius Streicher et al were on to something.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pFG21wxchrs

Loser Araysar

Chief Russia Correspondent / Stock Pals CEO
<Gold Donor>
It is a really stupid bluff. Israel would love the cover of enough Iranian provocation to let them go all out on Iranian's nuclear program.
True, but they still couldnt destroy all the major sites given how deep they are built.

All it would really do is piss off Iran enough to start lobbing ballistic missiles into Israel

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
The Syrians present quite a dilemma.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/26/opinio...rticle_sidebar

Pretty good read about how Al-Assad has shit in his own pool to prevent anyone else from jumping in. His greatest protection after using chemical weapons is the same that protects Somalia and North Korea... Does anyone wanna be responsible for that mess?

What are our options? We REALLY don't want troops on the ground there. It's got Mogadishu x 20 written all over it. We could probably destroy the regime and allow the Rebels to take over with pure drone bombardment. Drones would paralyze their forces and allow rebels complete freedom... But then what? Al-Qaeda is all over Syria, very anxious to obtain access to WMDs.

I have no doubt Obama would rather see Syria like it was 3 years ago than what it is and what it will become once the Regime falls. But we are where we are.

Syria has used chemical weapons. So now what? If we attack, we create a massive shitstorm and Obama loses whatever international goodwill he had. He suffers at home, abroad and he creates an unstable situation with possibility of 9/11 level blowback.

If he doesn't he becomes the president who opens the floodgates and destroys the unified front the world has taken against the use of WMDs. This decision has the potential to be viewed historically as bad a Europes appeasement or turning a blind eye to the Armenians. It would signal to the world the end of United States as a credible superpower, affirming what the Russia's have been alleging, that the US is a paper tiger, lacking the courage of its convictions.

So Obama has to choose between short term pain or long term pain.

BoldW

Molten Core Raider
It is a really stupid bluff. Israel would love the cover of enough Iranian provocation to let them go all out on Iranian's nuclear program.
When will we learn that it's par for the course? Baghdad bob? Even ahmejdinejad or however you spell it. It's a cultural and media thing with those countries. They have shit but they have to look like they're tough and have the means. I might even draw parallels...

fanaskin

Well known agitator
<Silver Donator>
The Syrians present quite a dilemma.

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/26/opinio...rticle_sidebar

Pretty good read about how Al-Assad has shit in his own pool to prevent anyone else from jumping in. His greatest protection after using chemical weapons is the same that protects Somalia and North Korea... Does anyone wanna be responsible for that mess?

What are our options? We REALLY don't want troops on the ground there. It's got Mogadishu x 20 written all over it. We could probably destroy the regime and allow the Rebels to take over with pure drone bombardment. Drones would paralyze their forces and allow rebels complete freedom... But then what? Al-Qaeda is all over Syria, very anxious to obtain access to WMDs.

I have no doubt Obama would rather see Syria like it was 3 years ago than what it is and what it will become once the Regime falls. But we are where we are.

Syria has used chemical weapons. So now what? If we attack, we create a massive shitstorm and Obama loses whatever international goodwill he had. He suffers at home, abroad and he creates an unstable situation with possibility of 9/11 level blowback.

If he doesn't he becomes the president who opens the floodgates and destroys the unified front the world has taken against the use of WMDs. This decision has the potential to be viewed historically as bad a Europes appeasement or turning a blind eye to the Armenians. It would signal to the world the end of United States as a credible superpower, affirming what the Russia's have been alleging, that the US is a paper tiger, lacking the courage of its convictions.

So Obama has to choose between short term pain or long term pain.
what's the point of decapitating the government, you'll kill far more people than you'll save, it cannot be "humanitarian" reasons that's a red herring. chemical weapons aren't even really a "weapon of mass destruction" like nuclear/biological, they pale in comparison to those weapons, it's more of they are a relic from ww1 fears about trench warfare so there are international laws still around about them that have been re purposed to give cassus belli for invasions.

Lleauaric

Sparkletot Monger
what's the point of decapitating the government, you'll kill far more people than you'll save, it cannot be "humanitarian" reasons that's a red herring. chemical weapons aren't even really a "weapon of mass destruction" like nuclear/biological, they pale in comparison to those weapons, it's more of they are a relic from ww1 fears about trench warfare so there are international laws still around about them that have been re purposed to give cassus belli for invasions.
I want to disagree with you but I can't. The reality is, Syria hasn't even broken any international law. While they signed the Geneva Convention, that only makes it an illegal act to use gas on other countries, there is nothing in there against using them on your own people.

An attack by the United States can't be viewed in any altruistic sense, it has to be a cold hard bitten RealPolitik calculation that it serves the best interest of the United States and its allies.

The quickest way to end the bloodshed would be to allow Assad to win, carry out his reprisals, eliminate leaders of opposition and re-establish control. Removing him creates a power vacuum where there would no doubt be continued civil war and internecine conflict.

But what's the quote? Evil thrives when good men do nothing? What do we lose when we act for evil, or choose not to act when it is in our ability to?

I have no answers and I'm glad I'm not the President