Warhammer 40k: Darktide

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I think Imperial Guard lends itself more to a horror setting.

I would certainly love a Space Marine version but it would be a bit different.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
Left4Dead had a single player mode when not cooping which was why I loved it so much. Vermintide is only coop right?
As mentionned there's bots, they're pretty fucking bad though until you mod them, then they're pretty decent(and sometimes better than fucking idiots you match with).

As for Space Marines, there's a bunch of issues with using them in this type of game, first and foremost the fact they're FAT AS FUCK and would block vision and bullets a shit ton. Space Hulk played on this a lot for example but in a real time game it'd be annoying as fuck to constantly hit your teammates.

Guardsmen on the other hand are just normal people. In fact having 4 epic guardsmen is more similar to what they did in Vermintide, where you don't really play super heroes(until they became heroes in the game) and just kinda no name fucks. So you get to play literral cannon fodder and rise. It also makes the most likely smaller threats more realistic, since Space Marines are just human tanks, so it wouldn't make sense lore-wise to get meleed by a zombie or whatever the fuck they were showing in the trailer and actually lose any sort of decent hp, shit wouldn't even scratch the power armors.

I'm not sure how it'll turn out lore wise though, I think 40K prevents a lot of cool stuff. It'd have been more interesting to mix it up and have like one space marine, one inquisitor, one technomancer and one imperial guard commissar or something like that. It'd be retarded in the lore, but a lot more varied.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
As mentionned there's bots, they're pretty fucking bad though until you mod them, then they're pretty decent(and sometimes better than fucking idiots you match with).

As for Space Marines, there's a bunch of issues with using them in this type of game, first and foremost the fact they're FAT AS FUCK and would block vision and bullets a shit ton. Space Hulk played on this a lot for example but in a real time game it'd be annoying as fuck to constantly hit your teammates.

Guardsmen on the other hand are just normal people. In fact having 4 epic guardsmen is more similar to what they did in Vermintide, where you don't really play super heroes(until they became heroes in the game) and just kinda no name fucks. So you get to play literral cannon fodder and rise. It also makes the most likely smaller threats more realistic, since Space Marines are just human tanks, so it wouldn't make sense lore-wise to get meleed by a zombie or whatever the fuck they were showing in the trailer and actually lose any sort of decent hp, shit wouldn't even scratch the power armors.

I'm not sure how it'll turn out lore wise though, I think 40K prevents a lot of cool stuff. It'd have been more interesting to mix it up and have like one space marine, one inquisitor, one technomancer and one imperial guard commissar or something like that. It'd be retarded in the lore, but a lot more varied.

The Cadia Five
  • Imperial Psyker
  • Commissar (themed)
  • Adeptus Mechanicus type character
  • Tempestus Scion
  • Adeptus Soriatas or something

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
I would love to play an Adeptus Soriatas . Particularly with an Inquistor or somethting in a cult type campaign game.

I think it will be great to play some Imperial Guard that turn into battle hardened veteram heroes. They always get overlooked because of Space Marines but the Imp Guard can have some badasses too.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
I don't understand why you'd make a game like this and then NOT have the 4 characters Space Marines. Who the fuck wants to play Imperial Guard? Plus Marines would naturally lend itself to character differentiation (Librarian, Chaplain, Grunt, HW, etc.). Lots of combinations. I'll definitely be playing this but I've basically been hoping for a 40K version of Vermintide with Marines for a long time.

Because it looks like setting is in a hive city and Space Marines are too good for those hoods. That is Imperial Guard Territory.

Not to mention you send Space Marines in to the worst areas of the intergalactic war, not the alleys of the hive city to see if Chaos has taken hold.

I haven't played any 40k for a decade, I miss the old rules before GW decided to sell out and increase the model numbers for armies and make it too generic. I understand they walked that back a bit, but oh the days of the pumped up, nigh unkillable heroes for fun and dat Chaos Spawn power.

Edit - I bought Inquisitor when it was released Early Access and it was shit. I am a sucker for ARPGs. I hear THAT got better too, but I've failed to enjoy it twice now and around 24 hours of play time.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

<Gold Donor>
Because it looks like setting is in a hive city and Space Marines are too good for those hoods. That is Imperial Guard Territory.

Not to mention you send Space Marines in to the worst areas of the intergalactic war, not the alleys of the hive city to see if Chaos has taken hold.

I haven't played any 40k for a decade, I miss the old rules before GW decided to sell out and increase the model numbers for armies and make it too generic. I understand they walked that back a bit, but oh the days of the pumped up, nigh unkillable heroes for fun and dat Chaos Spawn power.

Edit - I bought Inquisitor when it was released Early Access and it was shit. I am a sucker for ARPGs. I hear THAT got better too, but I've failed to enjoy it twice now and around 24 hours of play time.
We played a game where we spent all our points on "Personalities" hero characters. So we only had a couple models. One of them was a beast man. This guy brought a squad of eldar or something to try and get him and it rippes through the eldar with some lucky rolls. He was like "What the fuck i thought it was a beastman. He was gonna jump out and go Grrr!" . Good times in second edition I think it was.

• 1Like

Slaanesh69

Millie's Staff Member
We played a game where we spent all our points on "Personalities" hero characters. So we only had a couple models. One of them was a beast man. This guy brought a squad of eldar or something to try and get him and it rippes through the eldar with some lucky rolls. He was like "What the fuck i thought it was a beastman. He was gonna jump out and go Grrr!" . Good times in second edition I think it was.

The days of warp spiders one hitting your terminators in cover.

Squig lanchers!

My best paint jobs are Kharne the Betrayer (who usually did as much damage to his own army an allies as the enemies) and Abbadon.

I always played the baddies in 40k and fantasy. Loved the miniatures with all the mutations.

Anyway, I hope this is decent. I've been playing a ton of Warframe lately so a co-op shooter would dovetail nicely.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The good old days of a bike-riding terminator-armor wearing polymorphined assassin with a vortex grenade having been disguised as a single grot.

• 1Truth!

donomito

Blackwing Lair Raider
I don't understand why you'd make a game like this and then NOT have the 4 characters Space Marines. Who the fuck wants to play Imperial Guard? Plus Marines would naturally lend itself to character differentiation (Librarian, Chaplain, Grunt, HW, etc.). Lots of combinations. I'll definitely be playing this but I've basically been hoping for a 40K version of Vermintide with Marines for a long time.

Agree, maybe a patch that would introduce?

LachiusTZ

Rogue Deathwalker Box
<Silver Donator>
One marine with a chain sword could clear that.

Naked.

Marines are so fucking op they only work against big bads

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I mean that game already exists, and it's straight up just called Space Marine. Ultramarine captain goes on an almost single-handed rampage through simultaneous ork and chaos invasions.

• 4Like
  • 3Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Could do with some AvP action, Guardsman clothie vs nids in close quaters. Squish.

• 1Like

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I mean that game already exists, and it's straight up just called Space Marine. Ultramarine captain goes on an almost single-handed rampage through simultaneous ork and chaos invasions.

God that game was so fucking good. Thunder Hammer with the assault pack was just boner-inducing.

• 7Like
Reactions: 6 users

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
God that game was so fucking good. Thunder Hammer with the assault pack was just boner-inducing.
It's surprising they never made another one, would have been easy to mix it up by having Nids and maybe some other shit in there(Necrons?). Maybe didn't sell that well? The multi was kinda fun too but the single player was just real great to play, it was a simple concept but well executed.

• 1Like

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

You referring to the old THQ game on the PS3? I loved the hell out of that one. Perfectly captured the utter badassery of a Space Marine Captain. The MP was pretty decent too, server stability permitting.

Grizzlebeard

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It's surprising they never made another one, would have been easy to mix it up by having Nids and maybe some other shit in there(Necrons?). Maybe didn't sell that well? The multi was kinda fun too but the single player was just real great to play, it was a simple concept but well executed.

The studio went bust.

The kicker being:
Two sequels were planned but were cancelled due to the closure of THQ.

• 1RAGE