Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
sandbox games can be fun to fuck with in alpha stage. Narrative and class-driven crpgs? Wait for it to be done.
Agreed. I am trying to hold off, since I think I could have gotten much more enjoyment out of their second Pathfinder game, if I hadn't played the first 2-3 chapters in the beta a few times. Kingmaker was one of my favorite games of the past 15 years, so the hype was too strong to resist for Wrath of the Righteous. Luckily, I am not a Warhammer 40k zealot... yet.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Agreed. I am trying to hold off, since I think I could have gotten much more enjoyment out of their second Pathfinder game, if I hadn't played the first 2-3 chapters in the beta a few times. Kingmaker was one of my favorite games of the past 15 years, so the hype was too strong to resist for Wrath of the Righteous. Luckily, I am not a Warhammer 40k zealot... yet.
Maybe I should go play pathfinder lol. think I want to do first chapter maybe then go work on my backlog of other released games. Plenty of little ui bugs, kinda clunky. Marksman seems grossly overpowers over the rest.

• 1Like

Caliane

Think this will have depth and difficulty of Divinity 2?
really hard to say, few companies have done a good job going from d20 adaptations, to their OWN unique systems well. they are also going from RTWP, to RTWP/Turn based, to tactical grid ala xcom/wasteland...

Sludig

Think this will have depth and difficulty of Divinity 2?
So far no, but I'm still hopeful it will be good enough. Beta so ymmv but I noticed a lot of the animations rough, a lot of npcs use generic animations I've seen in other games, all the deck crew running around unnamed npcs have exact same uniform with awards just random heads etc kinda noticeable.

Fuck ton of flavor etc so even if it's weaker than d2, if you like 40k I think it offsets.

At least in a boss battle seemed like a core adept mechanic was not even functioning. (stacked clues but then it wasn't popping them for extra damage, think it was maybe broken by having 2 adepts)

Void

Experiencer
<Gold Donor>
List of the followers (from Gamescon):
I forget how many we get to have? I see at least 5 total green characters on some of those screens, so that's at least 4 companions. 6 total would be even better.

My team:
Astartes. Duh.
Sororitas bae.
Psyker chick.
Ranger/sniper chick.

I wonder if they'll try to bone us now that BG3 is so popular. Who hasn't dreamed of banging a Sister of Battle?

Burns

I forget how many we get to have? I see at least 5 total green characters on some of those screens, so that's at least 4 companions. 6 total would be even better.

My team:
Astartes. Duh.
Sororitas bae.
Psyker chick.
Ranger/sniper chick.

I wonder if they'll try to bone us now that BG3 is so popular. Who hasn't dreamed of banging a Sister of Battle?
Party size is 6, like the Pathfinder games.

All the companions look like they could be interesting from that video, but I guess we will see, as there were some pathfinder companions that I didn't much care for, personality wise.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

My team:
Astartes. Duh.
Sororitas bae.
Psyker chick.
Ranger/sniper chick.

I'm taking the Navigator and the Mechanicus in mine for sure.

Full on Heresy though. BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD!

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Inb4 someone else complains about how much they nerfed the space marine to bring his power level in line with the rest of the party.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Inb4 someone else complains about how much they nerfed the space marine to bring his power level in line with the rest of the party.

Well they will, because they have to. I hope there is a good story reason he is powered down and that there aren't any more around at all.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well they will, because they have to. I hope there is a good story reason he is powered down and that there aren't any more around at all.
Or it could be like the Dreadnought in Chaos Gate, wildly powerful but can only take it on special high threat missions. The Chaos Gate devs implemented it poorly but the idea could be made to work even in a more freeform game like this.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
I would've preferred the Astartes weren't prominent and were instead brought in as a story piece to btfo whatever whenever they show up, but there's a lot of things they could do to balance it, from making the other characters superheroes to making him an intermittent hero to making him a broken astartes, fit only for the Rite of Dreadnaughticus after this last mission.

They could also just chose not to balance it. If you're limited to one in a party of six, having that one be as powerful as three of your party members is still tolerable by most players. Most of the time in CRPGs there's one standout character that hoovers up all the top gear and one-time opportunities anyway. Making him a kind of boring, marginally likable companion that turns the combat into an "easier" mode wouldn't be out of place. Players can use him to streamroll content or can eschew him and use other characters.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Seems pretty easy narratively to me. Don't give him his armor or there's something wrong with it so he can't wear it. Old boy got separated from the Space Wolves chapter due to some Chaos teleporting nonsense. Drastically reducing his overall power but he is still an 8 foot superhuman combat expert.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Seems pretty easy narratively to me. Don't give him his armor or there's something wrong with it so he can't wear it. Old boy got separated from the Space Wolves chapter due to some Chaos teleporting nonsense. Drastically reducing his overall power but he is still an 8 foot superhuman combat expert.
Yeah but how are you going to encourage men to purchase $200 plastic dolls if they don't have beach ball shoulder pads?

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Space Marines are not superhuman. They're so far beyond the capabilities of a human that they came up with the term 'post-human' to more accurately describe them in the fiction. That space wolf would have to be missing all his wargear and both arms before he'd be on the level of some rogue trader's warband.

but eh, whatever. There was likely never gonna be a good way to include a space marine and they're so iconic to the setting that the devs probably felt they HAD to have one.

Last edited:

Caliane

They could balance it with the space wolf literally taking up 2 or 3 party slots.
in the battlemap he literally does take up 4 squares. Although, you can see the party screen with him in it, and theres still 6 party members.

The sanctioned psyker and navigator could in theory match a space marine in "power level". although obviously in different ways, not a 1:1. marine being neigh impervious to damage, super strong, super fast, super hearing, etc. but pyskers could throw fireballs, teleports, destroy minds in large aoes etc.. depending on their specific skills. psykers ability to do large scale damage before or after demonic takeover is what makes them scary.
1:1 the space marine would usually win. but again, depending on their specific skills a psyker taking out a marine is not out of the question.

"romance" the title cards in the vid listed sexual preference of the characters.
"Sister Argenta" Romantic Preference: n/a

Its also balanced on support. the tech preist. support. buffs/debuffs. the cold trader. support. the more human power level people are support.

The sister of battle versus the space wolf is probably the only real direct power level issue. what could she possibly do to justify her position over him? (I think they are making the space wolf use melee exclusive. so she'll probably use bolters)

Last edited:

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
My understanding is psykers, magos and kitted out rogue traders could all potentially match the power level of an average space marine. A strong magos especially could take on a squad of space marines.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well if we're gonna get into it, rogue trader might have access to xeno/archeotech that put him on par with a space marine in raw killing power, a random magos isn't going to amount to much in combat unless they're a combat focused discipline like a Magos Prime or maybe a Magos Explorator. A sanctioned psyker will be no match for a space marine except in contrived circumstances and no matter how much influence a rogue trader has they can't just stroll around with a high gamma or stronger rogue psyker in their pocket unless they keep it super secret which precludes sending it out on adventures with the rest of the scooby gang.

It's fine that they fudge it for the sake of roughly equal power levels in gameplay as long as they don't get really stupid with it.