Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Chris

Potato del Grande
They could balance it with the space wolf literally taking up 2 or 3 party slots.
in the battlemap he literally does take up 4 squares. Although, you can see the party screen with him in it, and theres still 6 party members.

The sanctioned psyker and navigator could in theory match a space marine in "power level". although obviously in different ways, not a 1:1. marine being neigh impervious to damage, super strong, super fast, super hearing, etc. but pyskers could throw fireballs, teleports, destroy minds in large aoes etc.. depending on their specific skills. psykers ability to do large scale damage before or after demonic takeover is what makes them scary.
1:1 the space marine would usually win. but again, depending on their specific skills a psyker taking out a marine is not out of the question.

"romance" the title cards in the vid listed sexual preference of the characters.
"Sister Argenta" Romantic Preference: n/a

Its also balanced on support. the tech preist. support. buffs/debuffs. the cold trader. support. the more human power level people are support.

The sister of battle versus the space wolf is probably the only real direct power level issue. what could she possibly do to justify her position over him? (I think they are making the space wolf use melee exclusive. so she'll probably use bolters)
I saw a YouTube video yesterday narrating Custodes and Sisters of Battle delivering Primaris reinforcements to a chapter, but when they arrive at the planet there is a message that the chapter has gone traitor and the planet is in civil war.

The Primaris don't immediately surrender since the situation isn't clear, so the Custodes decide to just execute them. The lead Sister in the story seemed competive with the Primaris, though the Custodes did most of the killing.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Well if we're gonna get into it, rogue trader might have access to xeno/archeotech that put him on par with a space marine in raw killing power, a random magos isn't going to amount to much in combat unless they're a combat focused discipline like a Magos Prime or maybe a Magos Explorator. A sanctioned psyker will be no match for a space marine except in contrived circumstances and no matter how much influence a rogue trader has they can't just stroll around with a high gamma or stronger rogue psyker in their pocket unless they keep it super secret which precludes sending it out on adventures with the rest of the scooby gang.

It's fine that they fudge it for the sake of roughly equal power levels in gameplay as long as they don't get really stupid with it.

I'm sure they'll adjust for gameplay mostly. The companion is an unsanctioned psyker btw, and the magos is an explorator.

Caliane

Sisters of Battle should outdo most humans, due to superiour gear. A sisters weaponry and armor is second only to a space marines, and thats only due to space marines being superhuman, so being able to wield bigger guns, heavier armor, etc... But sisters are still human in power armor. space marines are outright superhuman. genetically changed, modified, etc. 2 hearts, regeneration, 12ft tall, superhuman speed, smell, sight, etc.. Sisters seem to be more in tune with miracles though. Faith resulting in superhuman feats.
3 living saints come from the Sisters.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Caliane

What you are looking for is "data sheets"

an article on how to read them.

space wolf datasheets

Adeptas Sororitas datasheets.

power level is a general expectation of power, akin to dnd's challenge rating.
A single wolfguard is power level 6. A squad of 6 or more is power level 12. They only get stronger from here..
A battle sister squad of 5 sisters is power level 3. Seraphim and celestine squad sisters are the best of the best, and have power levels of 5 and 4, for 5 women squads.

m=movement speed, WS is melee weapon score. 3+ means a roll of 3 or higher hits. BS is ballistic skill. same but with ranged.
S is strength. used in melee fighting, and dealing wounds. T is toughness. used for resisting wounds. wounds is Hitpoints.
A is attacks. melee attack count.
LD is leadership. moral checks, etc.
SV armor save. defense against wounds.

heres another human comparison. death korps of krieg. Imperial guardsmen.
power 4. 9 troopers+1 watchmaster.

"the game" is then of course to agree on a total power level, both sides field equal power level, and try to win on strategy.

Last edited:

Caliane

heres a primaris psyker while were at it.

Caliane

Who has the early access? does the game actually use the tabletop datasheets and systems at all? or is it a leveling system ala wasteland and more dnd like etc?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I've never looked into the stats that make up warhammer figurine gameplay, what are some links to typical stats for these archetypes?

Actually, I can't even read this shit and don't know why i bothered asking what the relative on paper power levels are.

Looking at tabletop doesn't matter, GW says themselves it's basically reduced for the sake of making them playable and not be like 20 dudes vs another players army. Though they are certainly usually lower model count overall.

Sludig

Who has the early access? does the game actually use the tabletop datasheets and systems at all? or is it a leveling system ala wasteland and more dnd like etc?
Did ish, it's I believe using actual .... forget the old 40k name where each player has one character.

I'm hoping they're big changes, I didn't even finish the EA because the game was so basic and classes kinda unplayable. certain mechanics didn't work, huge amounts of "to be added on release".

I would not day 1 this.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
The companion is an unsanctioned psyker btw,
iirc there's two psykers, one sanctioned and one unsanctioned.

and for some in-setting scale, Inquisitor Ravenor was considered a rather powerful psyker and he was still only somewhere between a high end delta and a low end gamma. A Space Marine would crack him open and have scrambled Ravenor for breakfast.

Burns

Did ish, it's I believe using actual .... forget the old 40k name where each player has one character.

I'm hoping they're big changes, I didn't even finish the EA because the game was so basic and classes kinda unplayable. certain mechanics didn't work, huge amounts of "to be added on release".

I would not day 1 this.
They have a lot of experience with this engine by now, so I am confident that they are chugging through it. AFAIK, they have not announced a release date yet, so probably 6+ months out still and who knows where their unstable internal build is at.

With every game, the best course of action is to wait for at least a few patches but the second Pathfinder game was more stable with fewer bugs than the first one, by a large margin. So maybe they will improve even more and this release will be a low bug experience.

In other news, they are trying to add multiplayer. I don't give a shit about it, but I know a lot of people liked the way Larian did multi, so hopefully it doesn't hold up development on making an untested feature work:
2023-08-26 18.49.56 steamcommunity.com d897da21ed8a.png

Last edited:
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
They have a lot of experience with this engine by now, so I am confident that they are chugging through it. AFAIK, they have not announced a release date yet, so probably 6+ months out still and who knows where their unstable internal build is at.

With every game, the best course of action is to wait for at least a few patches but the second Pathfinder game was more stable with fewer bugs than the first one, by a large margin. So maybe they will improve even more and this release will be a low bug experience.

In other news, they are trying to add multiplayer. I don't give a shit about it, but I know a lot of people liked the way Larian did multi, so hopefully it doesn't hold up development on making an untested feature work:
View attachment 488192
It's about fuckin' time. They've needed co-op since Kingmaker. Can't wait.

Sludig

For anyone with a 40k "tactical itch", wanted to remind anyone not familiar with Templar Battleforce on steam. It's basically 40k in all but name. Just enough changes to not be sued into the ground but still is essentially marines, tyranid and chaos.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Just enough changes to not be sued into the ground
Honestly I think GW would still win a lawsuit. Either the Trese brothers are too small time to have come to their attention or they just don't feel it would be worth the bad press.

Sludig

Honestly I think GW would still win a lawsuit. Either the Trese brothers are too small time to have come to their attention or they just don't feel it would be worth the bad press.
I mean you can sue for anything and we see dumbass decisions all the time. But I really think it's different enough to not really be seen that way by anyone reasonable or else they could still go back and try and sue star craft.

Caliane

For anyone with a 40k "tactical itch", wanted to remind anyone not familiar with Templar Battleforce on steam. It's basically 40k in all but name. Just enough changes to not be sued into the ground but still is essentially marines, tyranid and chaos.
Idk, looks more like its inspired by Starship troopers and Starcraft to me.

40k Mechanicus is tactical turn based. Heard good things about it if I recall as well, but haven't played.
76% off on steam atm.. hrm... maybe.. I should..
same dev as Ixion for that.

Sludig

Mechanics I like though im not very far, very unique though, so not the usual 40k itch scratch.

the lore, and weapons etc in Templar is very 40k inspiring. Thunder hammers and plasma guns etc. The Templar are independent from the ruling lords of planets, star traders basically rogue traders. Basically tyranid cultists and a vague corrupting evil that's kinda chaos/necrony.

If nothing else cheap and kinda fun though i hate that too try all the skill tree stuff for every class requires doing a new game plus and I'm not sure it's *that* fun to want to redo.
Idk, looks more like its inspired by Starship troopers and Starcraft to me.

40k Mechanicus is tactical turn based. Heard good things about it if I recall as well, but haven't played.
76% off on steam atm.. hrm... maybe.. I should..
same dev as Ixion for that