Warhammer 40K: Rogue Trader (CRPG)

Awanka

Molten Core Raider
Rogue Trader is one of the best RPG settings I've come across. You're the captain of a merchant vessel starting with a lowly frigate, and eventually making your way up to owning a grand cruiser, while exploring uncharted reaches of space. The fact that you're somewhat outside the bounds of Imperial decree, and that your chief motive is profit, makes it more interesting, since you can ally with radical inquisitors and Xenos. Maybe even demons? It's a setting with limitless possibilities.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Im going to found this. Owlcat Games has definitely earned my money past few years. Founding I guess is their internal Kickstarter thing.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Also I am really hoping you can go full on heretic and embrace Chaos in this. Death to the False Emperor!

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Also I am really hoping you can go full on heretic and embrace Chaos in this. Death to the False Emperor!
tAlX0Um.jpg

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>

System

The Warhammer 40,000 role playing system uses 10-sided dice (d10) exclusively; all information is generated either through a single die roll with numbers one through ten or as a percentage with two 10 sided dice rolled together, one designated as the tens digit and the other a single digit.

Characters are created with 9 statistics;

• Weapon Skill (WS): Hand-to-hand and melee proficiency.
  • Ballistic Skill (BS): Governs all projectile and ranged attacks.
  • Strength (S): Physical strength of a character.
  • Toughness (T): Resistance to physical punishment.
  • Agility (Ag): Governs how quickly an individual can move as well as how well they can dodge.
  • Intelligence (Int): Used to work technology and understand languages and writings.
  • Perception (Per): How quickly you notice things and in how much detail.
  • Will Power (WP): Your resistance to horrors and used to manifest psychic abilities.
  • Fellowship (Fel): Used for interaction with other people.

Each attribute ranges from 1 to 100. Very high (above 70) and very low (below 10) scores are extremely unlikely within the game system and utilizing currently published rules. The system scores indicate that your average human is in the 30s range for their abilities and variations will indicate if they are particularly well suited for a task or if it is one of their weaker areas. Game mechanics also introduce a wide variety of special rules that provide bonuses and reductions in certain areas (For example, a character from a hive world has a higher Fellowship, but a lower Toughness.)

All actions, like making an attack roll or using a skill, uses the following basic mechanic:

• Roll percentile dice
  • Add bonuses or penalties associated with the action
  • Compare the result to the appropriate characteristic; equal to or lower indicates success; greater than the characteristic indicates failure.

With some character actions the amount by which the character succeeds or fails can add degrees of success for spectacular results. When using degrees of success the GM details the result.

So on the surface without delving too deep it looks like a much simpler system than Pathfinder and D&D. For instance only using d10 dice and such...

• 3Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So on the surface without delving too deep it looks like a much simpler system than Pathfinder and D&D. For instance only using d10 dice and such...
Looks like it's the same as the system for tabletop 40K rpgs in which case no it really isn't any simpler.

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah like I said I dont know shit about all these different rulesets other than a few video games that ive played but even then a lot of this shit is hidden away from view, like most of the dice rolls going on in the background, etc... Without actually knowing the maths behind all this shit and how the different numbers interact with each other.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Yeah like I said I dont know shit about all these different rulesets other than a few video games that ive played but even then a lot of this shit is hidden away from view, like most of the dice rolls going on in the background, etc... Without actually knowing the maths behind all this shit and how the different numbers interact with each other.
Well it will probably require a similarly thorough knowledge of the system to get perfectly optimized/powergamed characters, I would guess that the game will be tuned for just using common sense to build characters.

Goonsquad Officer
I can sperg out about the dark heresy (40k tabletop rpg) system with as much depth as you can tolerate. I would say its simpler than pf in that not as many "spells" and its more "what you see is what you get" in thst you can assume gear changes the fight meaningfully whereas pathfinder requires knowledge of class, spell, monster etc. You can still gimp your guy with bad stat planning

• 1Like

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
I'm looking forward to this, they really do have alot of options to explore the warhammer 40k universe and I like that it's not automatically kill all zeno's on sight.

I want an Ork companion!

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
Yeah hopefully this spawns off some more games from these guys in the 40K universe, which im sure it will.

• 2Like

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah hopefully this spawns off some more games from these guys in the 40K universe, which im sure it will.
Games Workshop has whored out the license like a cheap Samdaman hooker, so I'm sure it's not that expensive to develop.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Games Workshop has whored out the license like a cheap Samdaman hooker, so I'm sure it's not that expensive to develop.
It's funny how they guard tabletop like fucking rabid wolves but will LITERALLY ANYONE develop a video game with one of their IPs. Games Workshop's working relationship with the dev studio that makes the Blood Bowl games started back in the mid 2000s when they filed a lawsuit against them for plagiarizing Blood Bowl.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like

Goonsquad Officer
They took the tbletop rpg making wing of their operation behind the wood shed and shot them before they were done printing the second set of dark heresy books. They really hate any tabletop game that can't have big marines In it

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Mortym should be covering this game quite a bit. Really enjoy his channel when I was playing Pathfinder WOR, and watch most of his content now. I'm pretty excited about this game, and hopefully more information will keep flowing out.

What's the estimated release time?

• 3Like

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Straight Alpha gameplay:

Fetralife commentary on Alpha (they make the good guides for the two Pathfinder games, that everyone else seems to copy):

• 1Like