Warhammer 40k

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
So……

I have known this was a table top war game for years. That’s about it. Some of the memes I have seen, especially the darker ones, I thought had kind of gone down the dark rabbit hole like all those dark Garfield cartoons.

Just started reading about the lore. Wholly shit. This game has pretty incredible lore.
Enjoy the books, enjoy some of the video games, stay the fuck away from the actual tabletop game.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
If you want to stick your toes into the water for table top, a low point of entry would be to play Kill Team. That is what I have done and I've enjoyed it so far, even tho I have invested in a Combat Patrol Box & Watchers of the Gate for Custodes.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

gryphawk

Trakanon Raider
It is a fantastic universe, and so much great lore and fiction. I've followed since 1st ed Rogue Trader, but only played 20 or so actual games. Finding some gaming partners who are fairly normal, have personal hygiene, and some social skills is a big factor in enjoying the playing aspect of it. A bit like golf tbh, but in reverse... a round of golf with some friends who are not sticklers, couldn't give a fuck on the dress code and just want some fun - perfect. A game of 40k with similar is great. Collecting, modelling and painting is also a great hobby.

Dan Abnett's Eisenhorn trilogy is definitely worth a read, plus the rest of his books (Gaunt's Ghosts, Ravenor, et al). Aaron Dembski-Bowden is also a solid author. YMMV, there are quite a few other authors of 40k stuff who are reasonable, but many can be teeth grindingly bad.

• 1Like

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
Show me on the Ork where the Waaagh touched you.
I mean there have probably been 10 new rule sets since the last time I played and god knows if my basic ass marines are even legal miniatures anymore, let alone viable in this queer new primaris age.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Amusingly, Primaris are currently hot garbage next to the bespoke first born faction units and the old marines access to jump packs.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I mean there have probably been 10 new rule sets since the last time I played and god knows if my basic ass marines are even legal miniatures anymore, let alone viable in this queer new primaris age.
What faction are they? Sell em to me they are selling like hot cakes. As fast as rules change you should know Space Marines are getting nice changes their ways.

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
I wouldn't be shocked if people are editing the wiki to reflect what Leutin puts out. He's been the community favorite for years and people used to shit on channels like One mind syndicate for reading the wiki verbatim.

sukik

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Are there any examples of Luetin reading directly from the wiki or is it just internet heresy from people who don't like him/his channel, or youtube content like that? I don't really believe it after listening to his channel for awhile. I could definitely see MajorKill directly taking from wiki's early on in his videos, but I don't really care because they're juvenile entertainment.

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Are there any examples of Luetin reading directly from the wiki or is it just internet heresy from people who don't like him/his channel, or youtube content like that? I don't really believe it after listening to his channel for awhile. I could definitely see MajorKill directly taking from wiki's early on in his videos, but I don't really care because they're juvenile entertainment.
I can’t tell if he is but I know it’s highly enjoyable.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
I hope you like tape measuring and rolling dice. I've played a game through (managed a W) and hope to do more.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I understand that plane mechanics are cancer, but the dataslate rumors really making me feel targeted with my 12 planes.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
I understand that plane mechanics are cancer, but the dataslate rumors really making me feel targeted with my 12 planes.
I saw that. I have a Grey Knights drop ship I’d love to use. Also GK are getting massive point reductions. Rumor is terminator /Pali spam with Dreadknights to spare.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
So I am glad I haven't attempted to play a game with 9th with all of this incoming changes soon to arrive.

I have to ask tho, how often are these changes? Do these changes superceded a codex for X faction in newer editions of the game (Example 9th edition custodes codes rules and faq are no longer with 10th edition released)?

Vhars

Vyemm Raider
When a new edition comes out you're stuck with your old codex until it gets updated. Hopefully they don't stagger the 10th edition codexes as badly as they did the 9th edition books, for example 9th edition came out in 2020 I believe, and imperial guard just got their 9th edition codex in the last month or two.