Warhammer 40k

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Turn one combat patrol

Outriders hold 4 objectives no secondaries.

I had taken Paladins with Hammers to counter his possessed. Unfortunately I failed my charge. Everyone assumed the game was over right here. He charged me and killed 3 palis. Absolutely devastating.

However I got to attack back. I had 16 attacks with hammer hand (Str 8 dmg 3 ) and landed all but 4. Then I got to reroll wounds and got 10 wounds. He rolled only two invulnerables and the entire unit was smashed.

In Turn 2 I was able to charge my strike squad into his other chaos Space marines squad.
SS killed entire squad but he had some extremely op CP2 command card that allowed his heretics to fight even after they were killed. Luckily I had two SS survive. The 3 remaining Pals charged his HQ and annihilated him. It was something like 8 wounds Dmg 3 per wound. He saved only one. His chaos lord had only 3 wounds left due to my shooting phase. Game was over simply because his Accursed Cultists couldn’t hold more than one objective.

For The Emperor say the sons of Titan.

View attachment 451841View attachment 451842View attachment 451849
View attachment 451848

View attachment 451844

Unpainted minis are weaker and lose more often. It's just fact.

• 5Like
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 7 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Speaking of heretic.... there is ALOT of grey plastic on that table!!

The ironic thing is he just won an official Games Workshop GT best painted this summer. He just had glued those guys together sukik sukik and my game.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Some pretty basic questions forthcoming, but after a trip to a Games Workshop store, I think want to get back into it. What do you recommend for modern Warhammer? I like the look of both 40k and Sigmar because I like both sci-fi and fantasy.

Which of the two would you guys recommend? Any particular faction?

OhSeven

Mediocre Negro
<Prior Amod>
Pick whatever faction you think looks the coolest unless you have a massive amount of money and time to burn meta chasing and painting armies. A new edition, codex, or errata can completely change the competitive landscape so it's a lot better to have an army that's mediocre with enjoyable aesthetics instead of an army that's currently good but you hate looking at.

40k is likely going to be more popular than Sigmar/Fantasy but your area could be different. Demon armies can pull double duty being legal in both 40k and AoS if they appeal to you at all.

• 10Like
Reactions: 9 users

Bodhy

Karen
<Banned>
Pick whatever faction you think looks the coolest unless you have a massive amount of money and time to burn meta chasing and painting armies. A new edition, codex, or errata can completely change the competitive landscape so it's a lot better to have an army that's mediocre with enjoyable aesthetics instead of an army that's currently good but you hate looking at.

40k is likely going to be more popular than Sigmar/Fantasy but your area could be different. Demon armies can pull double duty being legal in both 40k and AoS if they appeal to you at all.
In days of yore I did Dark Eldar but I was a poor early teenaged lad with not enough time to really devote to the hobby. Though received wisdom of the time was that DE were a faction of nuance and skill, and not for noobs and not for direct combat. Rather, you had to use DE with flair and stealth and sophistication and it was for a more advanced player.

I picked DE because I thought they looked cool and they had awesome lore- I liked reading the Codex alone without ever playing a tabletop game. But I can admit this time I'm a novice and can pick a more appropriate faction.

Money and time are no obstacles this time around, either.

• 1Like

Lasch

Trakanon Raider
Whatever you pick, I would recommend starting small with just a squad or character to find out if you want to be painting that style down the line.

And I would also recommend keeping your first painted mini, so you can see your progress in a few months/years.

the only army I would recommend not playing would be genestealer cult - but that just might be me being trash at the game/that army.

• 1Like

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Some pretty basic questions forthcoming, but after a trip to a Games Workshop store, I think want to get back into it. What do you recommend for modern Warhammer? I like the look of both 40k and Sigmar because I like both sci-fi and fantasy.

• 1Like

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Warhammer 40k is generally the easier of the two to find playgroups for, although AoS is more popular than most miniature games so probably not an issue if wherever you're living has enough folks to have a Warhammer store.

I'll throw an argument in favor of the elves. If you loved their looks and lore it doesn't really matter if you're a noob at the tabletop, you're gonna get rolled by experienced players until you understand the movement phase regardless, and the elf armies do an excellent job of teaching you the movement phase *because* they're fragile. Moving a Terminator brick wrong will cost you opportunities, but they're usually tough enough to weather the storm. Moving elves wrong leads to immediately taking them off the table, which gives you direct, actionable feedback for improvement.

Dark Eldar do have their own somewhat tankier options as well, in the Haemonculus Covens.

• 1Like

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

Pick the game that has the most other people playing it in your area? Or, if you have a group of friends playing one, pick that. Simply for the sake of having plenty of people to play with.

After that, faction/army is up to you. Pick what looks cool or has a cool backstory. In the end, unless you are playing in a tournament, they are all good and fun.

• 1Like

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

As someone else that is new to this whole thing, I agree with what everyone has said before me.

Pick whatever makes you happy and start small so you dont overwhelm yourself with units to build, paint and learn how to use.

My local shop seems to be heavy into Horus Heresy, with 40k, Kill Team, with a dash of AoS being played regularly as well.

How things have been working out for me scheduling wise, I've only been able to play kill team so far. It is enjoyable and while its not quite full on 40k tabletop, its a nice introduction of building out your team (or fire teams in KT), tactical movements towards accomplishing objectives, managing/spending control points when and where you need to.

Last edited:
  • 1Like

Warr

<Bronze Donator>

Obligatory shoutout for the skirmish games, Kill Team and Warcry, as well if you want to test the waters without an army-sized commitment.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Regime

LOADING, PLEASE WAIT...
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
So I ordered from Bannerman off of ebay some cloth banners. Now this is the first one I practiced on. I’m thinking they are pretty slick! ( I used a exacto knife to fringe them out and painted the edges with a silver sharpie) I will keep practicing.

I just wanted to be able to swap out banners so I used sticky tack to bind them to the spears (and will be brass rods on dreadnoughts and vehicles later)

He sells a banners for every army.

3CD5375D-0C68-467D-B9C0-6BFA1CD07457.jpeg

1673817924768.jpeg

Last edited:
  • 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I am confused as to how everyone online seems to have missread the Thousand Sons FAQ and thinks the cabal ritual change prevents you from copying a Daemon spell with Psychic Maelstrom.

Lot of people injecting "intent" (aka, a faction I don't like has a good thing, how stop) into their reading.

Muurloen

Arks of Omen Boarding Actions seems like a good way to cut some teeth in the full on table top. Reduced rules, all infantry, 500 point game.

Might make that one my 1st foray into the 40k world.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Muurloen

Squaring off against Blooded tomorrow night in Kill Team. After what the Imperial Navy Breachers did to me right before Christmas, facing kill teams that can field meltas and plasma guns scare me.

My plan is to try to get the terrian setup to like a mini hot gates and mow down as much as I can with Peerless Warriors (stategic ploy to shoot/fight twice for all of my units a the cost of 1 cp lasts the whole turning point ) and a Brotherhood of Demigods (tactical ploy allows one free overwatch that doesnt count as an activation for 1 cp). What is gonna work in my favor, sorta, is most of his units are 4+ or 5+ save. I just got to land my shots and hopefully get a couple crits along the way to ensure their demise. Reference material

I gotta pick off as much as I can with taking minimal damage. If I lose a unit or two early, its over. The kill team I am facing gets major buffs when units are killed by their hand.

Last edited:
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Custodes vs Blooded - Kill Team

Setup - Going into Turning Point 1 -
- I moved up the board a little. Picked off the grenade launcher dude (5th picture left most dude in black) with one of my Guardians Spearmen to start of. My spears on the right went off to the right to that door. One was able pick off his shotgunner with shield (5th picture right side behind the ogryn & sniper).
20230120_192247.jpg

20230120_192255.jpg

20230120_192304.jpg

20230120_192309.jpg

20230120_192324.jpg

Turning Point 2 - Captured a couple of points. Didnt have many targets as he left a lot of his units in conceal & behind cover.
1000001135.jpg

1000001134.jpg

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users