Warhammer 40k

Chris

Potato del Grande
AI art starting to move a little now.

I'm being petty but the good thing about 40k is that none of those factions would ever team up like that, everyone hates each other. Tyranids especially.

Necrons are more likely to ally with the Imperium than against it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
AI art starting to move a little now.

Think those animations were mostly worse than the one I posted a little while back, but boy I wish I was patient enough to take a lot of screen grabs for like a revolving wallpaper app.

Hell I kinda want some 40k displates now that they have them, with so many micro flat form screens possible now, a essentially gif portrait frame of random scenes from whatever (not speaking just 40k at this point) might be neat.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Watched a 40k in 40mins

Watched a Banesword (not a misinterpretation of Baneblade) own a dark eldar

Now I want an IG army and a super heavy tank

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
What armies are easiest to put together and paint would you say?
I'm not an expert at all so someone may contradict me, but Tyranids.

You can use a technique called underpainting (warhammer people call it slapchop), where you paint the lighting first then colour it after.

So you paint the model black, then heavy grey drybrush, then light white drybrush. Then you get "contrast paint" which is a transparent watery paint to colour in the model that pools pigment more heavily around details on the model. It looks like you did detailed painting with multiple coloured paints, but really the paint and brush did the work.

It doesn't work on flat surfaces, only detailed ones, so doesn't work with my Space Marines but Tyranids are all detail no flat.

Last edited:
  • 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I'm not an expert at all so someone may contradict me, but Tyranids.

You can use a technique called underpainting (people call it slapchop), where you paint the lightning first then colour it after.

So you paint the model black, then heavy grey drycrush, then light white drybrush. Then you get "contrast paint" which is a transparent watery paint to colour in the model that pools pigment more heavily around details on the model. It looks like you did detailed painting with multiple coloured paints, but really the paint and brush did the work.

It doesn't work on flat surfaces, only detailed ones, so doesn't work with my Space Marines but Tyranids are all detail no flat.
Aside from how competitive they are or not. Id still say they stick for new sure to so many little fiddly bits and being a large model count army.

Hate to say it because Always over represented, but marines always a strong choice. Simply built mostly, low model count, always easy to sell later.

I'd still try to find a faction that appeals to you more than just going for what's the easiest to build though as the game is too expensive to just be cutting your teeth on a whole army then swapping unless your casually dropping a G on a hobby.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Aside from how competitive they are or not. Id still say they stick for new sure to so many little fiddly bits and being a large model count army.

Hate to say it because Always over represented, but marines always a strong choice. Simply built mostly, low model count, always easy to sell later.

I'd still try to find a faction that appeals to you more than just going for what's the easiest to build though as the game is too expensive to just be cutting your teeth on a whole army then swapping unless your casually dropping a G on a hobby.
Some of the marine kits are extremely fiddly to construct (multi part jetpacks, ammo pouches, holy trinkets) and paint (under weapons and between shoulderpads and torso).

It was horrible doing 15 Jump Pack Intercessors, it would be much easier doing 30 simpler to glue and paint models.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Thanks for the tips guys. I'm trying to say away from space Marines because they are so common. Lately I've been drawn to Tyranids and the space dwarves. How ever will check out the Knights and Necron and Tau too.

I'm an absolute shit painter and will need something easy to get practice on. I'd be embarrassed by what I would do to an Elder army or something similar.

• 1Like

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Honestly the question of easy to paint is relative.

All of the armies are a lot of work to buy, assemble, clean, prime. If you want them to look good and take less time to paint, you want helmets and less ornamentation, and this can still be done with many kit choices. If you just want them to look passable and don't really care about how much tiny detail, you can go with any. Using contrast paints or a simple wash on a face is fine.

However, contrary to what may seem obvious, lots of vehicles and big flat surfaces aren't actually the easiest to make look good and this is way harder with contrast paints. So things like Knights are less models, but a lot more work to look good.

Chris

Potato del Grande
Necrons are easy too and unlike Tyranids I've done some myself when the new ones came out.

It's just a metal colour and a wash right? Then up to you if you want to splash any other colours.

Chris

Potato del Grande
If you look at the subreddit, it's full of badly painted first models where everything has one thick coat of paint.

I usually only wet my brush so fuck knows how they get it so thick and ruin the details.

• 1Like

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
If you look at the subreddit, it's full of badly painted first models where everything has one thick coat of paint.

I usually only wet my brush so fuck knows how they get it so thick and ruin the details.

The first few I primed, I did two quick shots. Buddy who helped me learn showed me how I had filled in the eyes and it was "fucked". Fun time scraping it out when for some reason it didn't come off in the "magic purple stuff that removes everything easy". I mighta hit em with the army painter black.

Which leads me to a lesson. People at the stores will probably say we are out of X (for a reason I'm getting to), "but this is just as good". Uh huh. The citadel stuff is worth it and easily better for every reason over Army Painter and Vallejo. I'm not paid by them, biased or anything truly this is from usage of both.

Second, they make videos of oh it's so easy to make a 40k army, look at this ditzy female with a glass of wine assembling and painting. People at the store probably say the same. Yeah ok, I wanna see her fit together the final click together of a land speeder or repulsor hull. Either she struggles or is the equivalent of the pretending to be drunk female pool shark of fantasy models. This stuff takes practice, serious trial and error. There's a reason good commissions cost so much, it's not kindergarten finger painting. The descriptions are simple, getting it perfect in practice is an infinitely high ceiling. But it's the best way to unplug from the arms racing or video games at launch, loot politics and dick measuring of "employed but pro gaming" you can find. You'll be frustrated and eventually very proud of what's on the shelf. My suggestion is some in person coaching, usually local stores have a paint night. Just walk in like you own the place, enjoy some light convo with the other disheveled brilliant underachievers and learn to do something new.

I got eradicators, a lieutenant in Phobos armor, apothecary and intercessor sergeant with thunder hammer ready to get started now. Hopefully I can be left alone a few hours at a time to do it.

Anyhow, *MUCH* more skilled pal's update on his chaos (vehicles and some others still in progress) for something to look at besides a wall of muh journal:

20240228_191257.jpg

• 1Like

Chris

Potato del Grande
The first few I primed, I did two quick shots. Buddy who helped me learn showed me how I had filled in the eyes and it was "fucked". Fun time scraping it out when for some reason it didn't come off in the "magic purple stuff that removes everything easy". I mighta hit em with the army painter black.

Which leads me to a lesson. People at the stores will probably say we are out of X (for a reason I'm getting to), "but this is just as good". Uh huh. The citadel stuff is worth it and easily better for every reason over Army Painter and Vallejo. I'm not paid by them, biased or anything truly this is from usage of both.

Second, they make videos of oh it's so easy to make a 40k army, look at this ditzy female with a glass of wine assembling and painting. People at the store probably say the same. Yeah ok, I wanna see her fit together the final click together of a land speeder or repulsor hull. Either she struggles or is the equivalent of the pretending to be drunk female pool shark of fantasy models. This stuff takes practice, serious trial and error. There's a reason good commissions cost so much, it's not kindergarten finger painting. The descriptions are simple, getting it perfect in practice is an infinitely high ceiling. But it's the best way to unplug from the arms racing or video games at launch, loot politics and dick measuring of "employed but pro gaming" you can find. You'll be frustrated and eventually very proud of what's on the shelf. My suggestion is some in person coaching, usually local stores have a paint night. Just walk in like you own the place, enjoy some light convo with the other disheveled brilliant underachievers and learn to do something new.

I got eradicators, a lieutenant in Phobos armor, apothecary and intercessor sergeant with thunder hammer ready to get started now. Hopefully I can be left alone a few hours at a time to do it.

Anyhow, *MUCH* more skilled pal's update on his chaos (vehicles and some others still in progress) for something to look at besides a wall of muh journal:

View attachment 517078
I just realised after months of painting tutorials that I just needed to get stuck in and do it, I'll only get better by doing, and I did.

Trying to do Gulliman's flaming sword and it's the first thing that's actually gone wrong, need more vibrant colours and for some reason Red+Yellow from the citadel starter set makes Yellow or Red and definetly not Orange!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer

View attachment 517078
FYI. With those Chaos Cultists (assuming you have 10) and Accursed Cultists, all you need is Dark Commune minis and you got yourself the Chaos Cult Kill Team.

• 1Like