Warhammer Online RIP

Leviothan

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I recall. When the game was live I was duo with my buddy who was Gobbo Shaman and I was Squig Herder. I had to constantly defend him but he was one of our best healers. I'm fine with that sad life for the joy of mechanics.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
What would be a good class to solo pvp/pve, and is that a viable playstyle right now? Some combo of stealth, kiting, range, burst, self-healing is what I usually aim for. Looking for something to mess around with after I get bored with PoE league.

Muurloen

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
Witch Elf or Witch Hunter are your only two stealthers in the game. They are both melee with a lot of burst, minimal range dps, and I am not sure if they have any kind of self healing, aside from chugging potions.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
Not to discourage you, but an AMs life in city sieges, attacking or defending, and also in scenarios, is probably the hardest life in the game.

They do not have the mobility as other order healers, nor the gobo shammy counterparts.

A Salvation WP is a good place to start for a healer, but the real chad healers for order are Grace WPs.

I remember my AM was a lot of fun, but Witch Elves would go for me knowing there was literally nothing I could do if they had similar gear to me. Pre-nerf they would down me before the initial stun wore off. That, WoW and the 1 shot 1 kill archers in early DAOC made me really sour on stealthers in PvP. So playing a Demonhunter in current WoW who can see stealth at render range is some cheap therapy ;)

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
So I watched this Lazy Peon video and discovered there was a private server up for warhammer online. It's been up for years apparently! I used to love Warhammer online.

So I logged on and there is regularly 300-1k players playing it currently every day, I used to have so much fun in this game back in the day and I have to say it's a real nostalga hit for me.

The PvE is a shit as I remember it but the PvP is so much fucking fun.

Best thing is, no fucking pay to win.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
Witch Elf or Witch Hunter are your only two stealthers in the game. They are both melee with a lot of burst, minimal range dps, and I am not sure if they have any kind of self healing, aside from chugging potions.
This did not age well.
Also, let's merge that other thread in here. We already had a Warhammer thread.

Last edited:
  • 1Moron

Denamian

Night Janitor
<Nazi Janitors>
This did not age well.
Also, let's merge that other thread in here. We already had a Warhammer thread.
A reasonable request.

Jack Bannon Epix GIF by PENNYWORTH

Harkon

Vyemm Raider

They do have some self healing with certain tactics and their always on bullets or kisses.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
That Return to Reckoning needs classic cities battle (the final stage thing is fine as a lynch pin), land of the dead instead of custom stuff (some of it was needed to make worthless builds useful, went a little overboard in most cases tbh) which I think was in a decent spot.

Once they do that, god does it need a fresh rolled server. New people will be suffering warlord/sovereign kings for months of grinding.

Last edited:

Muurloen

That Return to Reckoning needs classic cities battle (the final stage thing is fine as a lynch pin), land of the dead instead of custom stuff (some of it was needed to make worthless builds useful, went a little overboard in most cases tbh) which I think was in a decent spot.

Once they do that, god does it need a fresh rolled server. New people will be suffering warlord/sovereign kings for months of grinding.
There would be so much REEEE it would echo for an age.

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
There would be so much REEEE it would echo for an age.

Really? That many people would be mad about a fresh start server, which is the most fun part of it? Like.... this one's dragged on for god damned ever....

Muurloen

Really? That many people would be mad about a fresh start server, which is the most fun part of it? Like.... this one's dragged on for god damned ever....
There have been many failed attempts of starting fresh new servers from people that formerly played on, or were actual staff for, RoR.

S Secrets can attest to this.

They all ended pretty much before they got started.

IF RoR character wiped and started fresh. You are talking about people's progress of 6+ years being wiped away.

No one would want to start over. I know I wouldnt.

Animosity

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There have been many failed attempts of starting fresh new servers from people that formerly played on, or were actual staff for, RoR.

IF RoR character wiped and started fresh. You are talking about people's progress of 6+ years being wiped away.

Agreed. Ive played on many private/emu servers for different games and every time they wiped I stopped playing. Wasnt worth it the effort.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member

All attempts ended in failure

WAR Apoc was made by the folks who originally swiped the codebase (Cegee, Genisaurus, few others I believe) and is the only one that actually remotely 'launched' and had its 180 pop taper to 40 in a week, then to maybe 5 online the week following. There was 6v6 teams scrimming for the first month, though, but no consistent RvR population.

Azarael (former dev, smart guy) tried to make Interbellum, which had some very different ideas but would've been at least a fair contender if he were to pull it off, but unfortunately he lost steam and never finished it after losing motivation when Apoc failed.

Those two projects' failures taught me to never underestimate how powerful sunk cost fallacy is in the games industry.
It's why people still exclusively play WoW Retail, and why people exclusively play EQ Live.

They built franchises with characters that people have had for decades. In RoR's case, it's been about 5 years, but that is 5 years they'd have to abandon for another game that may fail, and the thought of investing another 5 years into something they already spent 5 years on was not a wise decision for a majority of players.

A fresh start server would suffer the same fate, which is why it just hasn't been done.

Harkon

Vyemm Raider
So hitting career rank 40 in this game is a reality check. All of a sudden SC's are filled with people that have been playing for years.

The only good thing is when you do get a kill they are usually worth about 4-6k renown a pop in RvR so it should not be too long of getting my ass handed to me with shit gear into at least a better set.

• 1Like

Secrets

ResetEra Staff Member
So hitting career rank 40 in this game is a reality check. All of a sudden SC's are filled with people that have been playing for years.

The only good thing is when you do get a kill they are usually worth about 4-6k renown a pop in RvR so it should not be too long of getting my ass handed to me with shit gear into at least a better set.
PVE gear counts for ward progression, so make sure to do PVE runs.

You can PVE up to Invader Ward, which will let you equip Sovereign gear instead of having to PVP for it.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Muurloen

For players that are maxed geared, they still do PVE runs to get a sentinel talisman that lasts for a week once slotted.