WarnerMedia launching HBO Max Spring 2020

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
This whole thing is going to turn into one big assed company just like when we had cable and then they will charge $150 a month and everything will have ads again just like when we had cable. The only difference will be that you won't be able to fast forward the ads anymore.

• 1Like
  • 1Double Worf
Reactions: 1 users

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
This whole thing is going to turn into one big assed company just like when we had cable and then they will charge $150 a month and everything will have ads again just like when we had cable. The only difference will be that you won't be able to fast forward the ads anymore.
The seas are still where they always were, matey. Arrrrr.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Weren't they shopping around Coyote in the first place because WB was starting to be seen as too kill-happy with their films, and directors and actors were refusing to meet with them? Would've thought they would suck it up and take an offer, even if it wasn't quite as high as they wanted. Better that than finding out that no one wants to risk making a movie with them.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Warner was always going to kill it but they thought some good PR could be generated by pretending to shop it around, instead they shoot themselves in the other foot.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
It costs almost as much to promote a movie as it does to make it, so I imagine they're figuring (money saved by not promoting + Tax Write-off) > (likely income from the movie).

This one has gotten enough buzz on the internet though, I don't really see what the risk is of sticking it on a streaming service with no promotion and just seeing what it brings in.

moonarchia

The Scientific Shitlord
Warner was always going to kill it but they thought some good PR could be generated by pretending to shop it around, instead they shoot themselves in the other foot.
To be fair, that is exactly what Wile E Coyote would do.

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
It costs almost as much to promote a movie as it does to make it, so I imagine they're figuring (money saved by not promoting + Tax Write-off) > (likely income from the movie).

This one has gotten enough buzz on the internet though, I don't really see what the risk is of sticking it on a streaming service with no promotion and just seeing what it brings in.
Buzz amongst old internet nerds like us. Last 2 generations probably don't even know who these characters are.

Goatface

wikipedia says it has a budget of $70m

Intent to not only offload “Coyote vs. Acme” but to make a profit while doing so, the studio insisted on a price tag that would cover “negative cost plus” — what the movie cost the studio and additional fees that Warner Bros. had incurred.

But Warner Bros., which stood to make $35 – $40 million on the tax write-down, wanted something in the ballpark of $75 – $80 million from a buyer.

so they are choosing to loose $40m? or will gunn's company also get to write some of it off too?

BrutulTM

<Silver Donator>
If they sell it at a profit, there's no write-off. I think we can assume that they didn't get an offer of $75-80M.

spronk

FPS noob

he's been talking to people from those countries on his podcast on and off the past year so i'd expect some tie ins there. kinda weird only 4 episodes, they had dropped some film stuff almost a year ago too so I wonder if HBO was just sitting on this or something

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users