WarnerMedia launching HBO Max Spring 2020

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Eh pop in the 80s was mostly pretty good.

I like the bookends. Early 80s new wave with Elvis Costello, Police, Talking Heads. And MJ of course. Fantastic. Late 80s with Guns N Roses, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden. Even better in my book. Know I'm missing a few off the top of my head, but most aren't Top 40.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I like the bookends. Early 80s new wave with Elvis Costello, Police, Talking Heads. And MJ of course. Fantastic. Late 80s with Guns N Roses, early Red Hot Chili Peppers, Nine Inch Nails, Soundgarden. Even better in my book. Know I'm missing a few off the top of my head, but most aren't Top 40.
i started to notice a downturn in music quality way back in the mid 90s, it wasnt just top 40. i was in my mid 20s so it wasnt old geezer syndrome. i loved music growing up and its decline made me sad. thats not to say there wasnt exceptions, i am referring to the overall quality.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
AT&T will have six streaming services in 2020

- Watch AT&T
- DirecTV Now
- HBO Go
- Cinemax Go
- HBO Now
- HBO Max

This is a company that has no clue what its doing.

In the long run (I suspect around 2021) they will start merging those for streamlining things (and subsequently slowly raising the overall cost).

Also don't forget that since AT&T owns WB that also means they own the DC stuff. So that DCU streaming service is in there too. I suspect it will be fully folded into the new service as well. (Which I actually hope since it's the only way we see a season 2 of Doom Patrol)

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Ive not pirated for years because of netflix amazon and hulu, but if they start fracturing and for sure if they start injecting ads (lot of em are pre showing ads for other shows which drives me fucking nutty), ill dive right back into downloading all my shit.

• 1Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
I have Netflix and Prime. Netflix is going to be replaced by Disney+ for me. I almost never find much to watch on Prime though, I may just go back to subbing every other month on Amazon.

Jasker

Brown officer title, just like Kaige
373628 streaming services and all complete shit. Tv is garbage these days. Even HBO. Fucking joke simulation.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 1 users

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
So now thats

Netflix - $15.99/mo for 4K, 3 device (anywhere) service
Disney+ - $6.99/mo (to launch) for da kids and all MCU kinda stuff
Hulu - $5.99/mo (ads) for ??
Apple TV+ - $15/mo (?) for ??
Amazon Prime - $120/yr for free shipping, twitch prime, and Lord of the Rings and The Expanse

its getting out of hand

Gonna get really good at juggling memberships, and making sure they are canceled.

Or pirating, that's easy.

• 2Like

Namon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I really hate prime's set up... and maybe it's because I didn't give it much of a chance but it seems 90% of the stuff is stuff you have to pay for individually. Oh want to binge watch Sons of Anarchy? That'll be 2 bucks an episode. Want to watch some old movie that you randomly thought of? That'll be a 4 dollar rental. It'd be nice if they could cycle things in that are free for prime members every other month or so (this is the part I'm not sure of).

Netflix doesn't bother me, but it really looks like they are going to have to be self sufficient with their original content because everyone else is jumping into the game and taking their toys with them. For now that's fine for us, simply because we are playing some serious catch up, so have lots of stuff to watch still.

Right now we roll YouTube TV (honestly it's really only for sports and the local channels), Netflix, and Hulu. Now that we finally endured yet another bullshit series grabbing onto you then shitting the bed 4 seasons in with Sons of Anarchy, we are canceling Hulu. I'll probably go over to that HBO Max thing and D+ with Netflix, as I imagine D+ will have all the FX stuff on there as well. I like the idea of sharing subs across family and friends though...

Falstaff

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn’t HBO Go solely for people who have an HBO sub already? Still stupid they have that and HBO Now.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Yeah and it exists primarily because the actual cable on-demand service is garbage compared to use HBO Go in device-app form or cast from your phone to your big screen.

CableTV companies should be embarassed by how crap their overall service is.

• 2Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
i started to notice a downturn in music quality way back in the mid 90s, it wasnt just top 40. i was in my mid 20s so it wasnt old geezer syndrome. i loved music growing up and its decline made me sad. thats not to say there wasnt exceptions, i am referring to the overall quality.

This is definitely early onset old geezer syndrome. Mid 90s to mid 00s is my favorite music because it was my formative years listening to what I discovered. It is no coincidence that I started really hating most music once I hit my late 20s.

Except everyone can agree that hard rocks transition into emo rock around 05-07 was a complete travesty.....right?

• 1Like

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Music starts to suck as we get older because we get exposed to a lot less variety as our lives become more complex, so we only tend to hear the garbage that floats to the top, and genres evolve outside of our comfort zones. Go back far enough and you'll find some caveman bitching that adding skin drums to the chant fucks up the purity of smacking bones together.

It's the circle of lifeeee

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
I really hate prime's set up... and maybe it's because I didn't give it much of a chance but it seems 90% of the stuff is stuff you have to pay for individually. Oh want to binge watch Sons of Anarchy? That'll be 2 bucks an episode. Want to watch some old movie that you randomly thought of? That'll be a 4 dollar rental. It'd be nice if they could cycle things in that are free for prime members every other month or so (this is the part I'm not sure of).

just gotta be able to decipher their language for which browsing categories are included with Prime and which aren't

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
It's almost like someone should package them up into a cable package at 1 nifty price point..
Call it the Streaming Package.
I could dump my current cable plan for this. I don't want CNN or ESPN anyway.
You just described how cable companies came to be. Suddenly they'll do streaming for EVERY possible streaming service and increase the monthly rate little by little until you're $100+ per month.

• 1Like

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Music starts to suck as we get older because we get exposed to a lot less variety as our lives become more complex, so we only tend to hear the garbage that floats to the top, and genres evolve outside of our comfort zones. Go back far enough and you'll find some caveman bitching that adding skin drums to the chant fucks up the purity of smacking bones together.

It's the circle of lifeeee

It frustrates me greatly when people say stupid catch-all statements like "music today sucks". I'm 33 so I guess I'm not an old geezer yet, but I'm seeing live music more than I ever have. There's a ton of great music coming out right now. We're living in the DIY era of music. Things are back to grassroots marketing. You can make it without the support of radio and it's amazing. Some killer stuff is getting visibility that never would have received the light of day 15 years ago. Beyond Ubers/Lyfts/taxis, I haven't listened to FM radio in years.

• 1Solidarity

Oldbased

> Than U
I get ATT fiber 1gb unlimited for $50 a month ( plus first 2 months was free from gift card deals but goes to $90 after a year ) Of course that is $40 off first year because when they ran the line early this year a marketing director came by each house with special deals beyond ATT.
We pay $20 a month for Philo which is 54 channels most common on cable like AMC Disco and such.( has DVR and saves shows. Also starts any show from beginning )
We get our Prime for $5.99 a month due to Shelly's disability.

We split it 50/50 which comes out to ~38 a month after taxes for 990mb speeds and prime/philo.
Outside of that every 3-6 months I check my various emails and one of them always has a come back to Netflix free month and I do it for a free month with a prepaid visa with only $1.04 left on it.
Rarely I splurge for HBO/Starz to rewatch those series for a month.
Rest is all twitch.

Life is good.
The largest cost was when I upgraded to the newer 4k fire sticks with Alexa. That set us back ~$90 in equipment.

Spectrum before I switched 3 months ago was wanting $217 a month for 200mb+most cable channels and 3 boxes.

spronk

FPS noob
I hear that HBO Max is in conversations for both Big Bang and 2.5 Men, with the package possibly fetching as much as $1.5 billion.

Part of the reason why the price tag is so high is because, unlike Friends and The Office, which have been drawing millions of old and new viewers on Netflix, Big Bang and 2.5 Men have never been exposed to streaming beyond a few “stacked” recent episodes of Big Bang on CBS All Access over the last several seasons. WBTV similarly held back Friends until scoring the big deal with Netflix in 2014 [HBO MAX's recent deal for Friends cost them a cool $425 million].

I hear talks are complex, in large part because of stipulations in co-creator/executive producer Lorre’s deal with WBTV, but I hear WarnerMedia is determined to have WBTV’s biggest comedy series of the last two decades, Friends, The Big Bang and 2.5 Men, on HBO Max at launch in spring 2020.

da fuq

• 1Mother of God

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm

The Gen:lock move is getting some bitter responses from the Rooster Teeth crowd since the show will get a 90 day exclusivity on HBO Max before RT can air it to their own RT FIRST* subscribers (* now SECOND) and this is after they price hiked the whole service with the excuse of getting the show off the ground. Also, the show's creator was let go along with 13% of RT staff a month ago with budget concerns but Warner is financing the second season to pad their animation lineup.

As spronk pointed out previously cable HBO, HBO Go, and HBO Now subscriptions will not get HBO Max original content as they are considered separate services. So yay piracy.

spronk

FPS noob

behind a paywall but the article says:
HBO Max, due out in April, will need at least 15 million subscribers to break even on the cost of programming for the platform, the firm estimated. Content for the service is expected to total more than $2 billion per year, according to the report. HBO Max, AT&T’s answer to Netflix, will need to scale faster than its niche predecessor HBO Now to break even and appease investors, Barclays analysts say.

AT&T said HBO Max will launch with 10,000 hours of content, which is about three times the amount currently on HBO’s subscription-streaming outpost, HBO Now, analysts at Barclays wrote in an Oct. 22 report. The analysts estimate that HBO Max will need to attract between 15 million and 20 million new subscribers to break even on the cost of that content (not including cannibalization).
Barclays estimates that AT&T will spend more than $2 billion per year on content for HBO Max

The streaming-video service, due out in April, will be an amped up version of premium-TV network HBO, with the same programming, plus new originals; movies and shows from other WarnerMedia properties like Warner Bros. and the Turner-branded channels; and classic TV repeats like “Friends” and “The Big Bang Theory.”
But most analysts are expecting Disney Plus to make a much bigger splash than HBO Max. Disney Plus will cost less — at around $7 per month — than the $15 or more dollars HBO Max is expected to cost. (AT&T has not announced the price of HBO Max.) The Barclays analysts are skeptical that HBO Max will match the audience of Hulu and other services before it.
HBO Now is estimated to have 10 million subscribers after launching in 2015. And it took Hulu eight years to reach that subscriber milestone, the report says. Streaming video is more popular now than when those services launched, so HBO Max may be able to grow faster when it’s released in 2020 than either of those services did.

They are apparently going to spend $500-600m for South Park streaming rights (1 year? 2 years? dunno) too, thats nuts

this whole streaming thing is building up to a glorious disaster

Netflix currently has 60m US subs and another 100m or so international (they pay less)
Hulu currently has 28m subs (!) but a TON of those paid $12 for a year of hulu last holiday
Amazon Prime currently has over 100m subs but a lot of those are just in for the free shipping/etc

Disney+, Apple TV, HBO Max are all launching soon and then we got stuff like CBS Access, Showtime, Epix, NBC Universal soon, and god knows what other garbage is coming up.

• 1Barf