Wasteland 2

I got an extra Steam key for the standard edition. I'll trade it for something RPG-ish. PM me.

Didn't realize I had it until I logged into the KS backer center.
tongue.png

Totally forgot I got the collector's edition from Kickstarter. Came in the mail a couple weeks ago. It comes in an ammo crate so I threw some ammo in it. Cloth maps ftw.
tongue.png

MD5sxfL.jpg

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah? I'll have to re-look at this one. I liked it initially but was having trouble liking the infinite turn mobs and the OP nature of assault rifles.
They fixed the "infinite move" bug for mobs off the map within the first few patches. Assault rifles are probably still the "best" all around weapon, but nobody ever felt weaksauce due to weapon choice. Brawling was probably the most OP "weapon" imho, doing by far the most damage, but was obviously limited by range. Each weapon kind of had it's place and period throughout the game where it "shined". For instance, energy weapons kinda suck "all around", but are the best vs robots and such. Shotguns were also amazing if your placement was right.

Probably the best thing the patches did was correct quest related timing/order bugs. Some of the quests are so expansive and interdependant, that QA'ing all the possible sequences they could have been done in was probably a nightmare for the devs.

AngryGerbil

Poet Warrior
<Donor>
This game really was good. I was hesitant to endorse it at first but I just couldn't put it down. In the end, I had a lot of fun.

Yeah? I'll have to re-look at this one. I liked it initially but was having trouble liking the infinite turn mobs and the OP nature of assault rifles.
There's another balance / bug fix patch coming. Consensus on the balance threads in the official forums is that nearly all guns, aside from ARs, need buffs and the glaring issue where wearing no armor vs. energy weapons is actually preferable. Assuming they will address those plus a bunch of other stuff. Some really good suggestions in the balance threads over there.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
There's another balance / bug fix patch coming. Consensus on the balance threads in the official forums is that nearly all guns, aside from ARs, need buffs and the glaring issue where wearing no armor vs. energy weapons is actually preferable. Assuming they will address those plus a bunch of other stuff. Some really good suggestions in the balance threads over there.
Excellent... I for one am having a blast, the game gets deeper and deeper every few hours I play... I am in Damonta now and I can't stop playing this damn thing.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Eh, while assault rifles probably carry you the best into California, once you'reinCalifornia, energy weapons are the heaviest hitting weapon by a large margin. That will change if they ever fix the way armor interacts with energy weapon damage. Shotguns are the weapon in most need of help, IMO. They are so positional, even with choke mods, that their damage needs to be increased a shitload.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Yeah, the energy weapons/armor situation needs to be fixed, but imho the shotgun ruled by end-game. Hitting 2-3 mobs with the Jackhammer was serious damage. If I had to choose the "weakest" weapon all around it would be the SMG.

shabushabu

Molten Core Raider
I love pistols. the damage per action point is actually pretty good and you can move around and still get some dps on something.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, the energy weapons/armor situation needs to be fixed, but imho the shotgun ruled by end-game. Hitting 2-3 mobs with theJackhammerwas serious damage. If I had to choose the "weakest" weapon all around it would be the SMG.
The issue is, by the time it's available, energy weapons, assault rifles, and probably sniper rifles are already vastly outclassing it. SMGs and Pistols at least serve a decent early-mid game function by allowing you to heal + damage, move + damage, etc. In essence, shotguns are never really useful,untilthe jackhammer, and by that point, it's too late.

Gilgamel

A Man Chooses....
Waiting til they completely get this fixed up before starting again. My save bugged out in California(no quest npcs would talk to me anymore). Really hope they continue to support it.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Just to be a little contrary. I don't think the balance complaints are all that relevant between the weapon types. On ranger difficulty at least, the weapon styles you chose to use are less important than how you use them. My group has consisted of an SMG user since the beginning, and contains 2 with one of the npc recruits I chose to use later on. At this point, both of them have 12 ap, can move further in one turn than any other characters on my team. They can output more total damage per round against an ideal target at an ideal range (2x level 2 bursts).

I don't have an assault rifle user in my current 7, and it has not hampered my ability to handle the fights the game gives me. I would argue that the most OP weapon in the game is Weaponsmithing. If you haven't used it or don't have a party member with it - I would highly recommend it.

Heavy Weapons, Burst fire Shotguns, and SMGS have some of the highest damage/ap in the game. If new people are picking up the game - the biggest tip to using shotguns is that you should aim it like an explosive by selecting a location on the ground, this allows an ideal cone placement so you can add bonus targets and shave allies out of the cone of fire as well. As a weapon they are difficult to use if you do not aim them like this - then I think they stack up with anything else.

Its obviously important to shoot things your weapons are strong against. Assault rifles are some of the most generalist weaponry in the game just on design. Small spoiler - but regards to assault rifles -
I think there is some distortion of their power given that Angela is like level a billion and can carry you through the early game - leaving you feeling much weaker at that moment she leaves.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's funny that you would mention Weaponsmithing as the most OP weapon in the game, while also listing Heavy Weapons as one of the better weapon types. Heavy weapons suckbecauseof Weaponsmithing - they can't be modified.

Now, while you are correct in that lower difficulty levels won't see your weapon choices making much difference, it's much more difficult on Supreme Jerk with crappy weapon selections. Also, none of it really matters once you near the end of the game anyways, but it's extremely difficult/downright impossible to gettothe end of the game with horrible weapon choices. Getting to the end is almost always going to be a team consisting of atleast1+ melee, assault, or energy weapons user.

Assault Rifles and melee weapons are the two that standout as being useful throughout the entire game, energy weapons melt everything once you get to right around the midway point in California, pistols and SMGs will serve you well in the early game or on characters with a ton of AP, shotguns will be utterly worthless until the very end (literally. You can't get your first Jackhammer until one of the last 2-3ish areas), sniper rifles are in a similar category to assault and melee, but their usefulness takes a big dive downward toward the end of the game from an ap/dmg standpoint, and heavy weapons suffer from being unmoddable.

Dandain

Trakanon Raider
Right, so the balance complaints really only manifest themselves on the hardest difficulty version of the game - which was the point of my post if poorly made. I doubt even 5% of us who post here played through on supreme jerk, maybe more on rerolled. The fact all weapons are equally viable on all but the hardest of difficulties is a fine compromise to me at least. I just think if someone is reading this thread and on the fence, telling them that half of the weapon types are unusable is not precisely true. I have zero experience on the difficulty level you speak of, so I'm sure all your points are quite valid relative to their context. I'm just not sure that many players in general will be this theoretical supreme jerk player who doesn't min max. I think anyone plays on supreme jerk is compelled to min max by nature or they wouldn't be selecting the hardest difficulty. In many other genre's of game playing on the hardest difficulty revolves around being the most abusive to the mechanics the game presents.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
The issue is, by the time it's available, energy weapons, assault rifles, and probably sniper rifles are already vastly outclassing it. SMGs and Pistols at least serve a decent early-mid game function by allowing you to heal + damage, move + damage, etc. In essence, shotguns are never really useful,untilthe jackhammer, and by that point, it's too late.
Meh, I thought the over/under shined when I had it. All the weapons seemed to have a "weak point" when you were waiting on the upgrade-- like sniper rifles felt sucky towards the end game until I got the .50 cal. To me, the key with shotguns was having a high movement character that could get into position easily for the triple hit. However, all this made me wish for was that the character had brawling instead, which also depended on high movement. Brawling was ridiculously good imho. With Air Jordan trinket and tiger claws I was ripping shit up.

In retrospect, I think heavy weapons were the shittiest. They did good dmg end-game, but they just sucked way too much ammo.