Watches

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Latest-Kids-watches-girls-child-toy-designed-wrist-watches-boy-children-branded-watches-cartoon-character-digital-watch-models-price-in-india.jpg

Lejina

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
<Bronze Donator>
Ah, thanks for the clarification. I had just assumed that all watches were accurate to within a second or two a day these days, or at least should be. Guess not.
An automatic is literally powered by a spring that is coiled by a counter-weight and there's a little clutch that makes the entire mechanism slip around when it gets tight so the spring doesn't get over winded.
They can get decently precise with good quality movements but no matter what, that kind of mechanism can't compete with a electronic circuit taking its cues from a quartz.

From a practical standpoint they shine in highly electromagnetic environments, like for the guys working in aluminum factories where regular watches get fried the fuck out.

Btw, the auto winder gizmo isn't a bad thing, especially if you don't wear the watch daily. The spring can pack up about two days worth of power, when it stops, all the gears stop moving and the grease congeal around them, when you pick it up and resume using it, the stresses aren't quite even for a while and it's going to be even less precise for a day or two!

I gave up on automatics quite a few years back. Been rocking a solar for a while now and I'm not going back. My Seiko is built like a god damn tank, runs fast by one second a year and has never let me down when timing my dives. Looks pretty good to boot, if you dig the diver watch look anyway.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
An automatic is literally powered by a spring that is coiled by a counter-weight and there's a little clutch that makes the entire mechanism slip around when it gets tight so the spring doesn't get over winded.
They can get decently precise with good quality movements but no matter what, that kind of mechanism can't compete with a electronic circuit taking its cues from a quartz.

From a practical standpoint they shine in highly electromagnetic environments, like for the guys working in aluminum factories where regular watches get fried the fuck out.

Btw, the auto winder gizmo isn't a bad thing, especially if you don't wear the watch daily. The spring can pack up about two days worth of power, when it stops, all the gears stop moving and the grease congeal around them, when you pick it up and resume using it, the stresses aren't quite even for a while and it's going to be even less precise for a day or two!

I gave up on automatics quite a few years back. Been rocking a solar for a while now and I'm not going back. My Seiko is built like a god damn tank, runs fast by one second a year and has never let me down when timing my dives. Looks pretty good to boot, if you dig the diver watch look anyway.
I have an automatic, but I've been looking at the Seiko Astron. Looks sleek and has that GPS gimmick.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
i wore a metal movado my mom gave me 10 years ago (some years i stopped wearing it and went watchless, put it on for formalish dinners), recently i got a pebble watch, it's literally changed the way i use watches. It's been talked about in the pebble thread, but i bought a "decent" black stainless steel watchband to replace the plastic band, and it gives it some class imo.

Hell my mom even liked it, i told her to send me a text, then look at my watch and she was amazed.

i can actually just wear a watch i'll actually enjoy using and not have to worry about buying some status symbol rolex or cartier or whatever watch.

Tarrant

<Prior Amod>
My kids got me a Fossil for Fathers Day, I love it to be honest. It keeps time within 5 seconds, I think I lucked out with it. Plus it's from my kids so that probably adds to my love of it.

Turgur_sl

shitlord
The watch I wear every day.

rrr_img_59741.jpg

If you want an amazingly accurate watch that isn't too expensive, I would buy a Seiko. I fucking love Seikos.

Neki

Molten Core Raider
That's a sweet watch Turgur. More or less the watch I want to get.

Seiko is nice but I prefer Tissot for a similar class watch. Maybe its because of Swiss manufacturing but It's a matter of personal preference.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
This is my Tag for special occasions. It's automatic but can last about 3 days sitting without movement.

WEB_PR_SHEETCV2A10.BA0796_sticker.png

I have trashed a few nice looking Fossil beaters and am now in the market for a mid-scale daily wearer.

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
That's a sweet watch Turgur. More or less the watch I want to get.

Seiko is nice but I prefer Tissot for a similar class watch. Maybe its because of Swiss manufacturing but It's a matter of personal preference.
I also have this Tissot I got as a gift from an ex, but am not really feeling the style on it anymore. Plus, it is titanium which scratches if you sneeze on it the wrong way.

tissot_watch_013.jpg

splorge

Silver Knight of the Realm
The watch I wear every day.

rrr_img_59741.jpg
Speedy Pros are awesome. +1.

Tag Heuer are fine to look at, but its a piece of shit inside. The watch snob in me objects to paying 3k USD for a watch that contains a crappy 250 USD ETA 7750 movement.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
So hilariously enough, the second watch quit working entirely over the weekend. Right when I got it back from the GF I thought that the automatic winding mechanism seemed off. You could hear and feel it a lot more than with the previous one. I didn't think much of it at the time, but considering the watch died within 5-6 days, there was obviously something defective with it. Great quality, these Fossils.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
How about them iWatches? Anyone planning on ditching their metrosexual lumb of metal and going for an iWatch instead?

Jysin

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Picked up a new watch. Had a really hard time justifying the price, but decided to go for it after a couple months of unsuccessfully shopping around for something different.

movadobaby_2268_620794898

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Man all these watches are way too busy and cluttered to hell and back. I don't really wear watches but I really like Shinola watches. From what I understand online they're a bit overpriced for what they are but they're made in USA and have a fantastic minimalist style.

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Sometimes my S4 does weird shit, seen through the window flip cover after the latest Android update. The date is gone, and the time gets pulled to the right, like a 4th covered by the cover edge. Shit's annoying. Should I buy a metal hunk for my wrist instead, you guys?

Poster

Lord Nagafen Raider
Man all these watches are way too busy and cluttered to hell and back. I don't really wear watches but I really like Shinola watches. From what I understand online they're a bit overpriced for what they are but they're made in USA and have a fantastic minimalist style.
I actually have that model of Shinola Runwell 40mm, for about 9 months now. I agree that it was a little pricey, but I get pretty regular compliments on it, especially now that people are more familiar with the brand.

Picasso3

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Ordered a used omega speedmaster today, as an engineer I think it is the only fitting watch.