Watchmen

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
So I hadn't even realized this was a show until last week and binged the whole thing. I barely remember the movie, and never read the comics. But I went into it knowing you all said it was good.

The first episode had me wondering what in the fuck was going on, and why anyone would recommend it. Second episode had me intrigued enough to keep watching, but I was tempted to stop.

After the 8th episode, I told my wife that Lindelof redeemed himself from LOST (well, actually this comment came about 2-3 min into episode 9). All the crazy shit all finally wrapped up and made sense. Dr. Manhattan as a character fucking stuns me. The joke episode really nailed the character summary and I'm fascinated by the concept of an all powerful god who just doesn't really give a shit, but also the non-linear timeline stuff. All of it makes for the most interesting character I think in any media I've come across. I don't know why I didn't have this thought with the movie.

Episode 9 did wrap everything up, but it wasn't quite as satisfying as I'd hoped. The only question I still have is Trevor (the oldest son) who seemed like he could levitate shit. I had assumed he somehow inherited powers by proximity, or Dr. Manhattan gave them to him somehow, but maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it was just a futuristic "toy" that floats.

The "white supremacist" shit definitely was a bit too "2019," but overall it was a pretty damn good show.

Never read the comics!

There's a motion comic for it in which the comic is animated and then has an audiobook-esque reader/narrator. It's really good if you like watching things over reading things.

Looks like YouTube may just have them all for some reason?

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
Don't forget the elephant.

That one made sense to me. They had to take the memories out and flush them into someone else. They lied and said it was LOUIS but it was just an elephant who would be large enough to take human memories, also an elephant never forgets and that’s probably the faggy joke they wanted,

a_skeleton_02

<Banned>
That one made sense to me. They had to take the memories out and flush them into someone else. They lied and said it was LOUIS but it was just an elephant who would be large enough to take human memories, also an elephant never forgets and that’s probably the faggy joke they wanted,

More like a reference to the real lady Trieu who rode an elephant.

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Finally watched this. Had zero expectations going in based on a lot of the comments here. I actually liked it. I was generally surprised how many of the characters were around from the comic. That helped a lot. I was expecting all new characters. Silk Specter and Veidt rocked it. I also liked they used the comic monster instead of the movie scare tactic.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Very nice. Looks like if and when there is another go round it will be because there is a good reason to do it.

Sterling

El Presidente

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Watch me shit on the haters

1579303856607.png

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
They wrote themselves into a box with the ending. Killing God (Dr. M) opens the story to another season. But not having the black Detective get his powers would send the SJW crowd into hysterics. Of course giving her God's powers makes any type of follow up story dead because she is... God.

Caeden

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I have skipped to the end of this thread without reading, but we finally started this. Please tell me it gets better because episode 1 was like some sort of fucked up woke fantasy.

Sterling

El Presidente
I have skipped to the end of this thread without reading, but we finally started this. Please tell me it gets better because episode 1 was like some sort of fucked up woke fantasy.
Show is really good. There's certainly elements of that stuff, but it actually fits into the narrative and works fine.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider

Episode 2 is kinda slow, but it picks up in 3 and 4. From 5 until the end it's a wild ride.

• 1Like

Fadaar

That guy

It gets way better. Episode one definitely gave off bad vibes but it's not the whole show thankfully.

• 1Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Watchmen was super good but 1 the ending should've been less like the comic (mini squids instead of giant squid; do something original) 2 killing Dr M was a great idea but should've been less like the comic 3 Yahya was great but M should've looked better/more vitruvian statue-like/less human.

Blitz

<Bronze Donator>
Binged the fuck outta this today. I didn't love the ending, but it was a really fun watch overall. A really good season. Reznor's music early on was great as well.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Late to the party..

Saw the first couple episodes over Christmas while visiting family. Wasn't impressed. The hyper woke white supremacist stuff was a bit of a turn off. Pass

But picked up HBO recently for Westworld and decided to give this another go over the weekend. And it gets pretty good after those first couple of episodes. Ended up binging it and really enjoyed it. Great stuff.

It's still got it's hyper woke bs line going on but he covers it in a lot of layers of gray. Plus it's just a foil to explore other themes. And I like that he "fixed" the original Watchmen's ending. Always thought that the excuse to kill millions to save the world was idiotic garbage from A. Moore.

Killing Mr Blue is a good idea if they want to continue the series. With him around every story would necessarily have to revolve around him and he's just not that interesting. So they have room to explore if they ever want to try for another season, even without Lindelof. Whoever does it would have to be very creative though, Lindelof blew up the whole wearing a mask thing pretty much.

• 1Seriously?

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I too started watching this about a week ago and already finished it. Really enjoyed it. Thought that, given the creator, there's no way the story would be able to piece itself all together but it does tie up almost everything really nicely. Glad they're leaving it to the one season.