Watchmen

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Ishad

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I liked everything except the Dr. Manhattan/Angela stuff. Veidt stuff, Lady T, the Klan guys, all that shit was great. Even Angela's Vietnamese backstory and her grandpa stuff was great.

I don't really understand though why people say the Manhattan stuff made sense. I am not a Watchman expert, I have only watched the movie, but I thought the point that Alan Moore was making that once you become so powerful you stop caring about people or even humanity. This entire arc was reversing that, he cared and fell in love with Angela and then decided to xfer his powers to her because ?? and he doesn't think that'll cause any problems for her? Literally just letting his powers disappear would seem to be the "caring" thing to do instead of turning the person you love into a God. Wouldn't all the same shit that happened with him happen to her??? In 30 years is another short diminutive woman gonna try to steal Angela's powers? Is she immortal? There are literally a hundred ways Dr. M could have fucked off and left alone the people he "loved" to save them but he chooses to instead... die?

I really wanted to see Lady Trieu as a god. That mighta been cool, to have the reverse Manhattan who cares so much about humanity and keeps trying to make things better but constantly fucks things up. I suppose thats Manhattan's arc but I dunno, never read the comics and its just sorta implied in the show.

Veidt is fast enough to catch a bullet but can't see a dude swinging a wrench? Isn't Agent Laurie just as complicit covering up the 1985 squid attack, so she'll go to jail too? She definitely felt like a super throwaway character who didn't accomplish much or really need to be there at all.

Did they ever explain how Louis Gossett Jr is so old? 110 years old or something, I thought he was gonna be a clone or a splinter of Dr. Manhattan or something but no, he's just... old?

Parts of the show were really good, the mystery parts, but the finale was just ok, not amazing. I'd definitely watch season 2 but I wouldn't put the show in top 10 of any list right now.
Miracleman #16 is basically Alan Moore’s take on if a Superman ran the world.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
It could have been very bad but I liked it. Jeremy Irons was a top notch casting choice, story was okay and character development was interesting.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Volume 3 of the soundtrack released today (click the playlist icon below)

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Soygen

The Dirty Dozen For the Price of One
<Nazi Janitors>
This show ended up being pretty good. Not great, but much better than I anticipated it to be. The "Murica is Racist" angle was a bit too on the nose and kind of lazy, but they didn't go completely overboard with SJW stupidity. Very good acting and production, in general.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I liked everything except the Dr. Manhattan/Angela stuff. Veidt stuff, Lady T, the Klan guys, all that shit was great. Even Angela's Vietnamese backstory and her grandpa stuff was great.

I don't really understand though why people say the Manhattan stuff made sense. I am not a Watchman expert, I have only watched the movie, but I thought the point that Alan Moore was making that once you become so powerful you stop caring about people or even humanity. This entire arc was reversing that, he cared and fell in love with Angela and then decided to xfer his powers to her because ?? and he doesn't think that'll cause any problems for her? Literally just letting his powers disappear would seem to be the "caring" thing to do instead of turning the person you love into a God. Wouldn't all the same shit that happened with him happen to her??? In 30 years is another short diminutive woman gonna try to steal Angela's powers? Is she immortal? There are literally a hundred ways Dr. M could have fucked off and left alone the people he "loved" to save them but he chooses to instead... die?

The uncaring Manhattan changed his mind in the comic (and I think the movie?) with the "Thermodynamic Miracle" of Laurie being the daughter of Silk Specter I and The Comedian. That's when he returned to Earth to save it, but too late to stop Veidt, because Veidt was blocking Manhattan from seeing his fortress. I would presume he still cared for humanity, due to the show showing us him going to Europa and becoming a literal God to Adam and Eve, then returning to explore that connection to humanity with Angela.

He was going to use his powers for the greater good in the comic, but after Veidt's plan "worked", he stuck it out, killed Rorschach, and fucked off since Veidt had kind of turned people against Manhattan (but not directly implicated him like in the movie). Due to the way he experiences time, I would assume he forsaw the break down of Veidt's plan in 2019 and saw it as his opportunity to finally do good for humanity, even if it meant he had to die and pass on his powers to do it.

If they do a season 2, I kinda hope it's disconnected from this and that they take the same care they did with this series. Something like what Nite Owl was doing in the 90s through whenever he inevitably retired. I can't imagine Blake and he just stopped being vigilantes cold turkey following the comics. Or maybe a prequel of The Watchmen vs Moloch? I assume that The Adventures of Sister Manhattan and The Trial of Adrian Veidt could be interesting too, but I don't know if they are the most interesting to tell and I definitely dont think they will be best if HBO has someone else run the show for season 2.

• 1Like

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Doomsday Clock issue 12 came out today finally. It's the conclusion of the Watchmen / main DC continuity crossover sequel thing they've been working on for a while in which we wait to see Superman punch Doctor Manhattan.

It's not bad!

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I'm not a fan of what they did with Doctor Manhattan. To me they Matrix 2'd him. Went from a God-like being back to human.

...but you… you are a man. And this world’s smartest man means no more to me than does its smartest termite.

Unless it's a woman, amirite?

• 2Like

Tsar Bomba

Molten Core Raider
If they do a season 2, I kinda hope it's disconnected from this and that they take the same care they did with this series. Something like what Nite Owl was doing in the 90s through whenever he inevitably retired. I can't imagine Blake and he just stopped being vigilantes cold turkey following the comics. Or maybe a prequel of The Watchmen vs Moloch? I assume that The Adventures of Sister Manhattan and The Trial of Adrian Veidt could be interesting too, but I don't know if they are the most interesting to tell and I definitely dont think they will be best if HBO has someone else run the show for season 2.

According to HBO’s canon online database Peteypedia, both Laurie Blake and Dan Dreiberg got captured for resuming their vigilante activities. Only Laurie was able to make a deal with the FBI to be released, so Dan remains in federal prison until further notice.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
So I hadn't even realized this was a show until last week and binged the whole thing. I barely remember the movie, and never read the comics. But I went into it knowing you all said it was good.

The first episode had me wondering what in the fuck was going on, and why anyone would recommend it. Second episode had me intrigued enough to keep watching, but I was tempted to stop.

After the 8th episode, I told my wife that Lindelof redeemed himself from LOST (well, actually this comment came about 2-3 min into episode 9). All the crazy shit all finally wrapped up and made sense. Dr. Manhattan as a character fucking stuns me. The joke episode really nailed the character summary and I'm fascinated by the concept of an all powerful god who just doesn't really give a shit, but also the non-linear timeline stuff. All of it makes for the most interesting character I think in any media I've come across. I don't know why I didn't have this thought with the movie.

Episode 9 did wrap everything up, but it wasn't quite as satisfying as I'd hoped. The only question I still have is Trevor (the oldest son) who seemed like he could levitate shit. I had assumed he somehow inherited powers by proximity, or Dr. Manhattan gave them to him somehow, but maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it was just a futuristic "toy" that floats.

The "white supremacist" shit definitely was a bit too "2019," but overall it was a pretty damn good show.

• 2Like

Feanor

Karazhan Raider
Show did a good job with source material for the most part. Dr. M and a few other things were lamentably fucked up.

• 1Like
  • 1EyeRoll

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Finally finished this. What an ending. If this is a one off I'd be okay with it.

I think one thing they did not touch on is that in the source material Dr. Manhattan did revolutionize global industry. Cars and stuff were all electric powered and whatnot as he was able to directly create lithium and other rare materials out of thin air in massive quantities. IDK why they did not include that in here.

John Osterman, who became Dr. Manhattan was an ordinary guy. The change in his perceptions and abilities cause him to completely lose touch with humanity over time. Which was his whole arc with Miss Specter/Laurie. He saw no difference between life and death. He walked the surface of the sun. Watched quarks and atoms with his own perception and human morality lost all meaning to him. So he didn't care about nuclear holocaust.

I like that they further explored his perception of time. He said he was just a puppet who could see the strings. So I wonder why Lady Trieu didn't know this. She would inevitably succumb to the same perceptive changes Manhattan did.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So I hadn't even realized this was a show until last week and binged the whole thing. I barely remember the movie, and never read the comics. But I went into it knowing you all said it was good.

The first episode had me wondering what in the fuck was going on, and why anyone would recommend it. Second episode had me intrigued enough to keep watching, but I was tempted to stop.

After the 8th episode, I told my wife that Lindelof redeemed himself from LOST (well, actually this comment came about 2-3 min into episode 9). All the crazy shit all finally wrapped up and made sense. Dr. Manhattan as a character fucking stuns me. The joke episode really nailed the character summary and I'm fascinated by the concept of an all powerful god who just doesn't really give a shit, but also the non-linear timeline stuff. All of it makes for the most interesting character I think in any media I've come across. I don't know why I didn't have this thought with the movie.

Episode 9 did wrap everything up, but it wasn't quite as satisfying as I'd hoped. The only question I still have is Trevor (the oldest son) who seemed like he could levitate shit. I had assumed he somehow inherited powers by proximity, or Dr. Manhattan gave them to him somehow, but maybe I'm missing something. Maybe it was just a futuristic "toy" that floats.

The "white supremacist" shit definitely was a bit too "2019," but overall it was a pretty damn good show.

Read the fucking comic.

Do it.

It is a straight up masterpiece of literature by one of the very best minds of the medium.

• 1Like

velk

Trakanon Raider
I think one thing they did not touch on is that in the source material Dr. Manhattan did revolutionize global industry. Cars and stuff were all electric powered and whatnot as he was able to directly create lithium and other rare materials out of thin air in massive quantities. IDK why they did not include that in here.

It wasn't in your face, but they did - all the cars in the show are electric and there's a few quick mentions of it.

• 2Like

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
It wasn't in your face, but they did - all the cars in the show are electric and there's a few quick mentions of it.

One of them being I believe that's why the 7th Kavalry needed the old watch batteries, they needed pre-Manhattan made batteries.

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
One of them being I believe that's why the 7th Kavalry needed the old watch batteries, they needed pre-Manhattan made batteries.

Kinda. After Ozymandias convinced people Dr. Manhattan gives people cancer, people changed to non-Manhattan made batteries. The 7th Kavalry was getting Manhattan made batteries to trap him in a prison made of his own energy.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
I want a show about Looking Glass

also what the fuck was up with lube man? TotalLindelof fuck you moment. Just throws it in there and it’s gone forever

• 1Like