Watchmen

cabbitcabbit

NeoGaf Donator
Something that doesn't make sense to me is why does Dr Manhattan fall in love with her of all people? Seems random as fuck.
Dude hasn’t fucked in decades....or ever? Or he’s always fucking? Either way: blue balls joke.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Rope

Silver Knight of the Realm
Watchmen
A God Walks into a Bar
Season: 1
Episode: 8
Air date: 2019-12-08

Angela's mysterious past in Vietnam is at last revealed.

Something that doesn't make sense to me is why does Dr Manhattan fall in love with her of all people? Seems random as fuck.
:|
They tell you at the end. They hammer the whole time thing 10000 times. He fell in love with her when she chose to try and save him even when she knew he could not be saved.

gshurik

Tranny Chaser
<Gold Donor>
I heard this was a pretty OTT representation of crackers are evil, does that change after the first episode or is it a constant theme going through?

Because that sounds a bit silly to me.

elidib

Vyemm Raider
it never was.

There was even a pretty good anti-SJW joke this episode.

• 1Solidarity

Rengak

Blackwing Lair Raider
This episode did a really great job of showing how Dr. Manhattan perceives time. I also couldn't help but miss Billy Crudup's Dr. Manhattan voice.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 8 users

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
Is it even possible to wrap it all up next week? I suppose to a degree yes in that almost every major character will be at the abandoned mall but it almost seems like too high of a hurdle. Also think regardless of how it ends I'm really, really surprised that this turned out as good as it did. I'm assuming HBO will just throw money at Lindelof to do a S2 but should he? Granted I'm not sure who would be a good replacement? If they were to keep most of the writers room the same it would be possible though.

Angela also being the catalyst for Crawford's death is quite a ball kicker.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users

jooka

marco esquandolas
<Bronze Donator>
The Angela sparked Crawford death thing was brilliant.

So Dr Manhattan been fucking Angela and Blake(and who else?) for how long now until he got the thing in his head? Dude got stamina.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

a_skeleton_06

<Banned>
The problem I have (sort-of) with this Dr. Manhattan love angle is that it's demonstrated in the comics with both Janey and Laurie that he's beyond love. He has a fleeting care for both but ultimately doesn't really love either of them after becoming a god. I guess that could be changed after his Europa experience?

• 1Like

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
The problem I have (sort-of) with this Dr. Manhattan love angle is that it's demonstrated in the comics with both Janey and Laurie that he's beyond love. He has a fleeting care for both but ultimately doesn't really love either of them after becoming a god. I guess that could be changed after his Europa experience?

I think so. His experience on Europa was surprising in that he was worshiped unconditionally rather than loved, so he went to try and find love / happiness - leading to the paradox of loving her.

Jorren

Maximum Derek
<Bronze Donator>
Also, he wanted to feel human again, thus the whole reason he "hid" as Cal.

spronk

FPS noob
I don't really love the whole love thing, it skirts a bit too close to Interstellars "love is the most powerful thing in the universe" shtick. Oh well, at least it was interesting in the paradox aspect. I guess going too big idea -- he travels the cosmos looking for aliens or building constructs to explore black holes and such -- is too bizarre for a TV show, but it feels pretty tropey and cliche to boil it down to him falling in love and sacrificing to save his love. He could have blown up that cannon at any point but obviously he foresaw needed to be sucked in for some reason TBD.

I do like how almost everything has resolved itself from a story aspect, 6-7 episodes in and I still had no fucking clue what was going on but pretty much everything has worked itself out. Veidt was told about paradise but after 10 years its hell to him, all the Cyclops/Tulsa/Angela/etc stuff has resolved itself down, the only real mystery left is who is Veidt's "8 million children", will Dr. Manhattan die and what will happen to his "power", and whats the relationship/dynamic between Lady T, her daughter/mother, Hooded Justice, the 7th K, and Angela.

• 1Like

Xevy

Log Wizard
I don't really love the whole love thing, it skirts a bit too close to Interstellars "love is the most powerful thing in the universe" shtick. Oh well, at least it was interesting in the paradox aspect. I guess going too big idea -- he travels the cosmos looking for aliens or building constructs to explore black holes and such -- is too bizarre for a TV show, but it feels pretty tropey and cliche to boil it down to him falling in love and sacrificing to save his love. He could have blown up that cannon at any point but obviously he foresaw needed to be sucked in for some reason TBD.

I do like how almost everything has resolved itself from a story aspect, 6-7 episodes in and I still had no fucking clue what was going on but pretty much everything has worked itself out. Veidt was told about paradise but after 10 years its hell to him, all the Cyclops/Tulsa/Angela/etc stuff has resolved itself down, the only real mystery left is who is Veidt's "8 million children", will Dr. Manhattan die and what will happen to his "power", and whats the relationship/dynamic between Lady T, her daughter/mother, Hooded Justice, the 7th K, and Angela.

His "8 billion children" are just the populus of Earth. He sees them as their savior for avoiding a nuclear holocaust, but none of them actually recognize it because he can't tell anyone.

I'm fairly certain he put his power in an egg or something. Way too much egg symbolism. I think he was going to make it a waffle until Angela fucked it all up.

I wonder if Looking Glass is going to inherit Dr. Manhattan's powers instead of the Senator if they successfully blow him up. That's what I'd bet on. I'd be VERY interested to see what he'd do with true Godhood.

Asshat Brando

Potato del Grande
<Banned>
As far as Veidt, I''m pretty sure the last surprise will be that Lady Trieu is Veidt's daughter and Veidt landed in the field she bought from that childless couple.

Keep in mind each cake he gets signifies 1 year so his timeline has been much different than the shows.

• 1Solidarity

spronk

FPS noob
His "8 billion children" are just the populus of Earth. He sees them as their savior for avoiding a nuclear holocaust, but none of them actually recognize it because he can't tell anyone.

ok 8 billion makes more sense, the subtitles say 8 million so that was confusing i thought maybe he had sent his sperm out amongst the normies or something lol

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

I'm fairly certain he put his power in an egg or something. Way too much egg symbolism. I think he was going to make it a waffle until Angela fucked it all up.

I wonder if Looking Glass is going to inherit Dr. Manhattan's powers instead of the Senator if they successfully blow him up. That's what I'd bet on. I'd be VERY interested to see what he'd do with true Godhood.

I don't understand how the Cavalry had any idea what would injure John. He told Veidt that the world's smartest man was no more threat to him than it's smartest termite. He intentionally stood in front of the cannon for some reason. Why?

Veidt I think just signifies that he can't live in a world of perfect happiness. Utopia is not utopia. Veidt needs struggle, strife and the sweet taste of victory to find any reason to do anything. So he defies his prison gets put in the kindest jail cell ever. Then revels at the prospect of tunneling out when all he has to do to be allowed free is to tell the servants he will just stay with them.