Watership Down

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I seem to recall, from my childhood I think, a story about a cow that escaped a slaughterhouse. Anyone familiar with this? Written by the same dude maybe?

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This is from a while ago, but dashes any hopes I have/had for this.

BBC remake Watership Down with less violence to avoid 'scarring' children...
i never really had any hopes this wouldnt suck, but i like talking about the original movie, General Woundwort didnt fuck around, bunny killing vicious dog sets his sight on him. Woundwort launches himself right at the dog with no fucks given.
General-Woundwort.gif

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
i never really had any hopes this wouldnt suck, but i like talking about the original movie, General Woundwort didnt fuck around, bunny killing vicious dog sets his sight on him. Woundwort launches himself right at the dog with no fucks given.
General-Woundwort.gif
I guess there's no reason not to watch the 1978 version, right?

Agenor

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I seem to recall, from my childhood I think, a story about a cow that escaped a slaughterhouse. Anyone familiar with this? Written by the same dude maybe?

First thought was Animal Farm, but if I recall the animals didn't escape, just ran the farmer off. And Charlotte's Web was some pig escaping slaughter.

Last edited:

ShakyJake

<Donor>
its one of those movies that stay with you for your whole life, 40 years later and it still stands the test of time. its a timeless classic
So I watched this last night ('78 Watership Down). I agree, I don't see any reason why there needs to be a remake. Especially if they are toning down the violence (and, honestly, it wasn't that violent).

I was left wondering, though, if Woundwort was incredibly brave leaping at the dog or just ignorant. He had yelled shortly before that "dogs are harmless!". Hah.

Good movie.

• 1Like

Rime

<Donor>
Woundwort was brave, but he was insane. He was an allegory for Hitler/Stalin and how charismatic people rise to power and then use it benefit themselves at the detriment of those around them. He was so confident in his power that he forgot the world outside of his little domain does not obey.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Woundwort was brave, but he was insane. He was an allegory for Hitler/Stalin and how charismatic people rise to power and then use it benefit themselves at the detriment of those around them. He was so confident in his power that he forgot the world outside of his little domain does not obey.
i dont think Woundwort was charismatic, i dont think he was an allegory for any specific person, really. he built his Owsla through brute force and fear, just like every successful society in history. i'll tell you, the worst encounter that Bigwig & Co faced was the rabbits living in the honeypot. Cowslip knew they would be killed eventually and thats why he lured them in. him and his buddies didnt want to become stew. they sort of did the same thing in Toy Story 3

• 1Like

dechire

Bronze Knight of the Realm
The movie and the book are enough for me. I think "fucked me up" isnt strong enough to describe what it did to me. Fiver is one of my all time favorite characters.

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I saw it as a kid and we got bunnies as pets after we got past the hamster stage. Might have had something to do with the parents not being a dog/cat type though.

Miguex

The lad himself
<Gold Donor>
I never read this in my school years, but it looks interesting enough. Not sure why the animation looks so half done?

• 1Like

Drinsic

privileged excrementlord
This a joke? That animation looks 20 years old. Did they seriously dupe that many big names into this?

• 3Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Zapatta

Krugman's Fax Machine
<Gold Donor>
Might as well say you are going to remake Lord of the Flies and have none of the kids die. You'd think the folks who have their own platform and no MPAA to answer to, would use that position to take some risks and push the envelope a little. Netflix has always made bad decisions about content and spending money. They are going to die like Facebook.

• 1Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
maybe they started with a decent animation budget, but after the celebs took their cut, this is what they were left with. its passable for very small children.

• 1Like

Qhue

Trump's Staff
Holy crap that's terrible animation. I've seen rough cuts from barefoot animators in Guatemala that looked 10x as nice as this.

• 1Like

iannis

Musty Nester
Might as well say you are going to remake Lord of the Flies and have none of the kids die. You'd think the folks who have their own platform and no MPAA to answer to, would use that position to take some risks and push the envelope a little. Netflix has always made bad decisions about content and spending money. They are going to die like Facebook.
they've had a few great choices. This just ain't one of them.

On paper I'm sure it looks good. A family friendly classic.

I'd blame the animators and writers before netflix.