Watership Down

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

dizzie

Triggered Happy
0.00 star(s) Rating: 0.00/5 0 Votes
Title: Watership Down

First aired: 2017-01-01

Cast: Freddie Fox, Miles Jupp, Ben Kingsley, Daniel Rigby, Gemma Arterton, John Boyega, Mackenzie Crook, Nicholas Hoult, Daniel Kaluuya, James McAvoy, Craig Parkinson

Overview: Fleeing their doomed warren, a group of rabbits struggle to find and defend a new home.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

dizzie

Triggered Happy
This film is due to Netflix.

We should discuss, it made me cry as a child , hurt, love, spectrum of emotions. Beautiful film.

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>

giphy.gif

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
I strongly advise browsing r/Rabbits for a week leading up to watching this, for maximum effect.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
There is no way a new version can match the brutality and awesomeness of both the movie and the book. No one in 2018 has those kind of balls.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 6 users

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
I saw this movie on a shelf in a Blockbuster when I was a kid and then rented it because I had remembered reading an excerpt of the book in one of my English classes. Holy shit. The fact that it's an animated slasher film coupled with the fact that I got away with watching something I KNOW I would not have been allowed to made it one of the most memorable movie experiences I have ever had.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Mom accidentally rented it for us as kids. Nothing crazier than the Lord of Rabbits (El Ahrair-ah?) being killed and his blood creating all rabbits in the first five minutes.

• 1Like

Gask

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I first watched the movie in a grade school class and I can still remember walking out and talking with a friend about how awesome and bloody it was. They don't make children's cartoons like they used to.

• 2Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
if you guys liked the original movie, you should also read the book, its much darker. Richard Adams doesnt fuck around. i also read his other book, Shardik about a gigantic wild bear that every human faction tried to use his existence to further their own purposes. its a rather amazing book that gives insight to how modern politics today works.
Watership Down was an amazing cartoon, i saw it on HBO when i was 9ish. if you werent prepared it could fuck you up.

• 2Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
I read the book as a youngster - he also wrote The Plague Dogs and that was also turned into an animated film in 82, it's as dark or darker than Watership Down. It would cause total outrage if it were released today. Still a very good film as a companion piece if you never saw it before.

This Remake of Watership Down looks to have a stellar British voice cast including James McAvoy, Ben Kingsley, Roy Kennear and will be a 4 hour mini-series co-produced by Netflix and the BBC. Cost £20 million so... Cause it's the BBC we will probably see a very toned down version of the original.

Last edited:
  • 3Like

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I read the book as a youngster - he also wrote The Plague Dogs and that was also turned into an animated film in 82, it's as dark or darker than Watership Down. It would cause total outrage if it were released today. Still a very good film as a companion piece if you never saw it before.

This Remake of Watership Down looks to have a stellar British voice cast including James McAvoy, Ben Kingsley, Roy Kennear and will be a 4 hour mini-series co-produced by Netflix and the BBC. Cost £20 million so... Cause it's the BBC we will probably see a very toned down version of the original.
i think i tried watching plague dogs, but it looked too fucked up. this was a long time ago. maybe i'll give it another go. and of course they dont take on socially offensive topics anymore unless its to promote them. too many snowflakes.

• 1Like

Lanx

Oye Ve
<Prior Amod>
i think i tried watching plague dogs, but it looked too fucked up. this was a long time ago. maybe i'll give it another go. and of course they dont take on socially offensive topics anymore unless its to promote them. too many snowflakes.
If you can watch Late 80's Jap anime gore, you can watch anything

This song is bangin too!

• 1Like

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
This is from a while ago, but dashes any hopes I have/had for this.

BBC remake Watership Down with less violence to avoid 'scarring' children...

From the article said:
The show’s executive producer told the Telegraph the 2017 version will not just tone down the levels of on-screen violence to make it more appropriate for children, but give a boost to its female characters.

Why not go ahead and make a shitty 2nd part instead of ruining the original? I have a feeling that it is going to be praised in the media, well received by those who like 'equality' and 'abhor violence' but everyone else will still show their kids the original because it is a great story and does not coddle the viewer (reader) about the savagery of nature.

Last edited:
  • 2Solidarity
  • 1Like

dizzie

Triggered Happy
Why dumb this down? Why even take a project like this if you won't be true to the book? Yeah, sure it's brutal and makes you feel sad, isn't that the point?

I don't have kids but I made sure I fucked up my god childrens' life by making em watch this. It's a rite of passage like Bambi, oh by the way - stuff dies and we are mortal.

Welcome to the world, it's brutal...

Soon as I saw BBC my heart sank as I knew it'd be a censored SJW wankfest.

• 5Like
Reactions: 4 users
TV show information provided by The Movie Database