Weather

Cybsled

Aka you are getting what you deserve. A non retarded society would use methods of power generation that allow you to easily and cheaply produce extra power, that means more natural gas/oil/coal plants. But we are a retarded society.

Oversimplification. Our electricity grids are ancient and do a very poor job of load management and power routing during unexpected demand spikes, regardless as to where the power is being sourced from

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
News showed people on the I-10 MS river bridge driving around the barricade lol. No problem at all, what ice?

Power is out in parts of TX rolling due to all the wind mills being offline while they get the ice off of them with a helicopter, everyone at home plus a holiday running the heat all day. Plus the idling of coal mills and no new coal or nuke plants in a loooong time. T. Boone Pickens brougt in a ton of windmills that was gonna fix it. Saw a pic today large farms of them look like they're already 50 years old just sitting there idle with shit falling off them. TX has it's own grid, the rest of you are own your own.

WPBG76CPMFD53P3QPYRMUNHJ7Y.jpg

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Oversimplification. Our electricity grids are ancient and do a very poor job of load management and power routing during unexpected demand spikes, regardless as to where the power is being sourced from
Yes our power grid is ancient, but the problem isnt delivering the power its not having enough power to deliver. A significant portion of Texas' electricity comes "renewables" aka wind/solar, which simply doesnt work in the current conditions;

Texas produces more electricity than any other state, generating almost twice as much as Florida, the second-highest electricity-producing state.101 Natural gas-fired power plants supplied more than half of the state's electricity net generation in 2019.102 About 5,000 megawatts of Texas coal-fired generating capacity have been retired since 2016.103 As a result, coal-fired power plants supplied less than one-fifth of state generation in 2019, down from about one-third as recently as 2014.104 Wind-powered generation in Texas has rapidly increased during the past two decades.105 In 2019, wind energy provided more than one-sixth of Texas' generation.106 The state's two operating nuclear power plants typically supply almost one-tenth of the state's electricity net generation.107,108 Most of the capacity added in Texas since 2010 is fueled by natural gas or wind.109

Renewable energy sources contribute nearly one-fifth of the net electricity generated in Texas and account for one-fifth of the total U.S. utility-scale electricity generation from all nonhydroelectric renewable sources.118 The state has encouraged renewable energy use by authorizing construction of transmission lines to bring electricity from remote wind farms to urban market centers.119 Wind accounts for nearly all of the electricity generated from renewable resources in Texas, and the state leads the nation in wind-powered electricity generation, producing almost three-tenths of the U.S. total.120 In 2011, Texas was the first state to reach 10,000 megawatts of installed wind generating capacity.121 At the end of 2018, Texas had about 24,185 megawatts of wind capacity installed, and, by the end of 2019 installed capacity was about 28,800 megawatts.122,123 Utility-scale wind facilities in Texas (those with capacities of 1 megawatt or greater) accounted for more than one-fifth of the state's total generating capacity and produced more than one-sixth of the state's net generation in 2019.124 More than 6,200 megawatts of additional wind generation capacity are under construction.125

Reason #2131273 why "green" energy is absolutely retarded. This is the results you get with absolutely fucking stupid energy policies.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

So once in a century event is your basis for what is otherwise fairly cheap power to mitigate overall energy costs?

That is like saying hydroelectric dams are shit because a super drought hits a state that usually doesn’t deal with that condition and didn’t build their dam to account for reduced water flow.

• 1Like

Ritley

Karazhan Raider
So once in a century event is your basis for what is otherwise fairly cheap power to mitigate overall energy costs?

That is like saying hydroelectric dams are shit because a super drought hits a state that usually doesn’t deal with that condition and didn’t build their dam to account for reduced water flow.
This shit is going on in the Midwest as well. Kansas City has rolling blackouts and this weather happens nearly every year there.

Borzak

Not sure I would call it once in a century. Not sure what the exact temps were in TX, but in 1989 Baton Rouge, LA got down to low single digits as I assume TX was close to that as well. Of course between then and now as T. Boone Pickens and his wind power bullshit.

Cybsled

There is for sure opportunities. One thing they have been trying to solve for is cheap means of capturing energy to release during demanding times.

They aren’t a fix all and you always do want a diverse energy portfolio: renewables are cheap, but non-renewables can help during less than optimal energy production times.

Ideally one day we get real fusion power and that becomes the real heavy lifter lol

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Seeing lots of cities with rolling blackouts happening, how the fuck is our energy infrastructure so shitty.
Its not. We discussed this in the investing thread. The energy market went insane with this usage spike across such a large geographic area and many of the electricity providers didn't hedge so it is cheaper for them to turn off the grid rather than pay insane prices for electricity.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
This is all crazy to me. Here in the MidWest everyone has a gas furnace, and anyone who heats with electric is considered an absolute imbecile. A lot, if not most, people who live outside the city have an alternate heat source, mostly wood stoves. Even in the most extreme cold in the winter, and extreme heat in the summer, we have never had rolling blackouts.

• 1Truth!
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is all crazy to me. Here in the MidWest everyone has a gas furnace, and anyone who heats with electric is considered an absolute imbecile. A lot, if not most, people who live outside the city have an alternate heat source, mostly wood stoves. Even in the most extreme cold in the winter, and extreme heat in the summer, we have never had rolling blackouts.
I have my bazillion gallon heating oil tank in the basement feeding my furnace that keeps me nice and warm.

Borzak

Some of the natural gas pumping stations are down cause they can't pump at that low a temp apparently.

Parents have electric heat but also a fireplace that has the HVAC duct circulate around it and also butane heaters with a sizable tank. I had natural gas heat in TX and a fireplace that had the HVAC duct circulating around it as well.

The nice thing about natural gas in the past is it never went down. Storms never knocked it out, hurricanes never knocked it out. In the time I had and when I was younger we had it then it never went out, ever.

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
Hearing a lot of stories of power out all day in dfw area with temps near zero tonight. Prolly gonna be some deaths from this shit. Completely nuts how this is shaking out.

• 1Solidarity

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Hearing a lot of stories of power out all day in dfw area with temps near zero tonight. Prolly gonna be some deaths from this shit. Completely nuts how this is shaking out.

Yeah, that shit is dangerous. I feel bad for folks.

• 1Solidarity

Borzak

During the Obama administration the EPA pushed for and partially funded a "clean" coal power plant. Southern company built it in Kemper county MS. It was budgeted at $1 billion. Goal post were moved over and over and general shit that happens on big projects and projects with the government. End of the day, $7 billion and it was never fired up and now abandoned. Doesn't even sound like real money compared to all the stimulus thrown about.

Goddam it man, never argue about macroeconomics during a hurricane, winter version.

Cybsled

Most times when blackouts are happening during ice/snow storms, it’s because a tree fell on a line somewhere or some jackass crashed into a pole, not because of power generation issues.

• 1Like