Weather

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
holy shit. German in Venice is going to have something to talk about. i guess thats one way to clean up the homeless downtown. gonna be some gnarly waves.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Just saw a notice about it. Forecast is rain sat/sun/monday. Even crazier, saying its going to be only 76 sunday. Our avg high is what 105 or something this time of year. Would be insane to get down that low.

Guess we are about to get a good test for all the flash flood development they supposedly have done.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
California is about to get super fucked with flooding.

I didn't realize how infrequent they are, but apparently there have only been two tropical storms to hit Southern California in the last century. And both were fizzled to almost nothing. This one is going to hit Baja as a category 4 or 5, and might actually still be quite strong by the time it works its way up to California.

For areas that only get a few inches of rainfall all year, getting it in one day is going to be crazy. Like I know normal 0.1" rainfalls in the desert and our roads would all flood. They're forecast to get 4-8 inches.
I’m about 20 miles inland and the current forecast is 1.5” on Sunday with winds 2-0mph, gusts up to 20. That isn’t crazy for winter but it’s going to be 83F so I get to listen to my wife complain about the humidity.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Oldbased

> Than U
Just saw a notice about it. Forecast is rain sat/sun/monday. Even crazier, saying its going to be only 76 sunday. Our avg high is what 105 or something this time of year. Would be insane to get down that low.

Guess we are about to get a good test for all the flash flood development they supposedly have done.
75 and sunny with low humidity was our high 2 days this week in Kentucky.
Normally mid 90s with 70-90%H
May and June were very mild too, lowest utility bill those 2 months in 10 years at this house.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
hope that bitch keeps headin north and hits OR. We havent seen a drop of rain all summer. Shits dying and wells are drying up.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Close to half the country is in a drought. Crazy.

Untitled.png

• 1Like

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They really should publicize the reverse of a drought map and show which areas have gotten rainfall far above the norm. While it won't cancel out on the average knowing which areas will have flood impacts going forward is also important.

Technically my area is still in light drought, despite the fact we've only had one month with low totals since spring. The extra we've gotten in spring/summer has not made up for our winter's lack of snow and they measure drought status by the reservoir / river levels. Entire lawn is green and thriving, landscaping needs to be trimmed way more then usual but we're still "drought" status because of winter.

• 1Like

Goatface

which weather site lists year to date rain/snow totals? not seeing it on any of the sites i normally go to.
did see this, so guess massive flood is average today, lol
1692391170254.png

Malakriss

If you do a specific weather station on wunderground you can see the daily/weekly/monthly numbers. But for some reason weather.gov airports stopping updating their monthly numbers in May and thus don't have YTD.

aug_2023_monthly.png

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
  • 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Malakriss

Sorry you live in a giant bowl where a decent storm for other parts of the country turns your civilization into the Little Mermaid. At least you don't have the coal ash and pig shit that the Carolinas had to deal with when Florence dumped 20-30" on them.

• 1Like

ToeMissile

<Gold Donor>
Sorry you live in a giant bowl where a decent storm for other parts of the country turns your civilization into the Little Mermaid. At least you don't have the coal ash and pig shit that the Carolinas had to deal with when Florence dumped 20-30" on them.
The worst part is we get weather like this on occasion, just not in the summer and it isn't attached to a hurricane system.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
I also thought Pacific storms were called typhoons. Is there a difference?

No difference, just named based on region

Called hurricanes when they develop over the North Atlantic, central North Pacific, and eastern North Pacific, these rotating storms are known as cyclones when they form over the South Pacific and Indian Ocean, and typhoons when they develop in the Northwest Pacific.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users