<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
This is the best they can do...

1693404366254.png

• 5Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 5 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Pretty crazy how fast this thing is moving now after it had sat between the Yucatan and Cuba for so long.

Made for a nice cool morning here today. Didn't get any rain at all, but it made for some decent weather overnight.

Shit ton of surfers out. The hurricane is pushing all that wind from north to south, and we've still got the storm surge coming in for some really long groundswell (13 seconds this morning). Just about perfect conditions.

Untitled.png

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Juvarisx

Florida
All the barrier islands in Sarasota county are flooded and high tide is in a couple hours so its getting worse. I am closest to Manasota Key, and it washed out the main road on it and a couple of the beaches are washed out as well. Got pretty gusty here around midnight, my weather station got a 65 mph gust but no damage this year thankfully.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
That's always been my thing with these storms. They always show "devastating damage" but it's confined to like 2-3 blocks from the beach. Further inland is there ever even actually damage?

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Further inland is there ever even actually damage?
No.
I was explaining this to a friend who called today form NY to check in on us. I told him it was a non-event because it actually hit about 100+ miles north of us. He replied but its hitting the whole state. I had to tell him the actually heavy damage is from flooding if you live on the water of that 20-30 mile area where the eye makes direct impact. He had no idea the hurricane winds didnt cover the entire state.

Hurricanes are the price one pays for living right on the water.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Downtown Crystal River. No actual storm damage but the flooding from the river a few blocks away is bad. High tide hits in about 30 minutes. Gonna get worse.

1693425693303.png

• 1Tiresome

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
No.
I was explaining this to a friend who called today form NY to check in on us. I told him it was a non-event because it actually hit about 100+ miles north of us. He replied but its hitting the whole state. I had to tell him the actually heavy damage is from flooding if you live on the water of that 20-30 mile area where the eye makes direct impact. He had no idea the hurricane winds didnt cover the entire state.

My fam has had a beach house on the water since the 1940's and Hurricane Andrew is the only one that totally wrecked it.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
No.

People look at images like this and don’t bother looking at the key. The little brown spec under the X is the hurricane. The orange blob is a tropical storm.

1693426300980.png

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
It hasn't collapsed, but it's definitely not healthy.

Mine is a new build, but it went from like $850 the first year, to $940 last year, and we just got our new one for next year at $950 I think.

But I mentioned in the Home Buying thread that we couldn't even afford most houses built pre-Andrew. The insurance was usually 2-3 times what we're paying now, for less house.

• 1Like

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>

Mine is a new build, but it went from like $850 the first year, to $940 last year, and we just got our new one for next year at $950 I think.

But I mentioned in the Home Buying thread that we couldn't even afford most houses built pre-Andrew. The insurance was usually 2-3 times what we're paying now, for less house.
This. New builds get enough credits to make the insurance affordable. Older houses can be insane. I have friends paying 4-5k for insurance in Broward.

• 1Mother of God

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Both home and car insurance in Florida got approved for rate increases. I think everyone across the board got 25-50% increases and in some cases an extra increase on the following renewal. When my car insurance jumped up by 40% last year, I shopped around and it was still the lowest rate.

Overall, consumers are getting squeezed everywhere. Eventually something has to give. People will start ditching stuff just to afford the basics (2nd video).

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>

super interesting - i'm in a non-fire zone in n. cal and my insurance is 2k a year. if you're in a fire area, if you can even find it it's like 5k+ a year

Oldbased

> Than U
how true is this?

Very. My parents had a hard time finding insurance when they moved down 2.5 years ago and what they did find is now 300% of what it was 2 years ago. It is very very hard to find any reasonable insurance there now.

• 1Like

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
super interesting - i'm in a non-fire zone in n. cal and my insurance is 2k a year. if you're in a fire area, if you can even find it it's like 5k+ a year
Yeesh, that's insane.

Even post-earthquake, ours was never that high in California.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Yeesh, that's insane.

Even post-earthquake, ours was never that high in California.
Last year State Farm dropped my inlaws home insurance saying the fire risk is too high. This was after being w/ them for 30 years in the same home. There is a good bit of open scrub brush type land that is right up against their neighborhood but still pretty shitty.

fred sanford

<Gold Donor>
Last year State Farm dropped my inlaws home insurance saying the fire risk is too high. This was after being w/ them for 30 years in the same home. There is a good bit of open scrub brush type land that is right up against their neighborhood but still pretty shitty.
Further proof that insurance is a sham these days. We insure expensive stuff in the event of disaster. Insurance company will collect premiums all day for low risk but when the risk gets high they bail. Why not at least offer insurance at a higher premium or lower the coverage in the event of a fire.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Sanrith Descartes

Von Clippowicz
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Further proof that insurance is a sham these days. We insure expensive stuff in the event of disaster. Insurance company will collect premiums all day for low risk but when the risk gets high they bail. Why not at least offer insurance at a higher premium or lower the coverage in the event of a fire.
It's a fucked up combo between banks and insurance companies to support themselves.

States are kind of fucked because if they push insurance companies and enough leave, home owners are fucked because they are required to hold insurance if they have a mortgage.

As long as this requirement exists, insurance companies have the upper hand over States.

• 1Like